Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Into the weeds ... what?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
for the birds

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yay, I've had two Teams calls this morning and there was an "into the weeds" in both of them

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Working for San Francisco based tech business meant that unfortunately this phrase has been used around me (but never by me) for at least 15 years!
Working in UK Higher Education means that we are usually 15-20 years behind US tech business bollocks phrasing.

For example, everything became either "contextualised" or "granular" not long ago.

I expect I will hear someone use "into the weeds" for the first time in around 2024...

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Have also heard it, probably wrongly, used as kicked into the weeds to define some project or task that has been dropped.

I'd say that's a bastardization of 'into the weeds' and 'kicked into the long grass'.

Until this thread, I had not been aware of the former

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah it'a work thing.

E.g. "That ****ing workshy shirking malingerer is off sick again with his COPD - probably down the pub - so I'm in the weeds here."

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'll be honest, if I worked in a place where there were things I didn't understand, I'd probably just try and understand them

I would ask exactly what they meant.

A customer rang me a few years ago and kept saying “box and cox” when telling me about the job she wanted done, after the 5th box and cox I stopped her and told her to stop saying it because it’s not something I have heard before and it wasn’t helping.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I'd love to get into the Weeds...

tumblr_mx62yoE6eX1qzbq1lo1_r1_250.gif

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I would ask exactly what they meant.

A customer rang me a few years ago and kept saying “box and cox” when telling me about the job she wanted done, after the 5th box and cox I stopped her and told her to stop saying it because it’s not something I have heard before and it wasn’t helping.

I had a similar this about 10 years ago. A guy I worked with used the term "follow the sun" in regards to a servicing centre about 30 times on one call and there were about 30 attendees on there. I was pretty new at the time so did ask then but popped him a message afterwards and he translated for me!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I had a similar this about 10 years ago. A guy I worked with used the term "follow the sun" in regards to a servicing centre about 30 times on one call and there were about 30 attendees on there. I was pretty new at the time so did ask then but popped him a message afterwards and he translated for me!

What does it mean?
I like to know these things :)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
What does it mean?
I like to know these things :)

Basically, in order to service the UK 24 hours we transfer calls to our offshore service centres during their daytime hours, so we essentially "follow the sun" around the globe until we he GMT again

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Another crap phrase to put on the management bingo card along with blue sky thinking and all the other Americanisms we pick up

Blue Sky thinking went out of fashion decades ago. Shown to be largely ineffective in comparison to Blue Ocean thinking in generating future growth potential. (Not sarcasm... Blue Ocean really different and is the preferred replacement to Blue Sky).

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
How about FYSA - new to me and I keep seeing it now. Another bloody Americanism

Clue - it means pretty much the same as FYI

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blue Sky thinking went out of fashion decades ago. Shown to be largely ineffective in comparison to Blue Ocean thinking in generating future growth potential. (Not sarcasm... Blue Ocean really different and is the preferred replacement to Blue Sky).

I've never heard of Blue Ocean, I have that delight to come

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here