Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Into the weeds ... what?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What's with the phrase "into the weeds"? About two weeks ago, I'd never heard it being used, but now I hear or see it about half a dozen times a day. Where the hell has it come from and why has it been adopted by every second person at work? And how long before our friends up the road start using it for a dig at us?

I don't think I've ever known a phrase become commonplace so quickly,

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What's with the phrase "into the weeds"? About twenty years ago, I'd never heard it being used, but now I hear or see it about half a dozen times a day. Where the hell has it come from and why has it been adopted by every second person at work? And how long before our friends up the road start using it for a dig at us?

Edited for my experience...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Never heard it said.

I'd be 'super' excited if I did hear it though.

Let's face it, no one is really excited about anything anymore.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Never heard it before, is it a euphemism for coupling with someone who has let their Ladygarden go wild during lockdown ?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
"In the weeds" meaning overwhelmed by work I have heard for at least 30 years, mainly when working in restaurants. Never heard "into the weeds."

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Getting into the weeds? That's been around for ages. Meaning focussing too much on detail at too early a stage with progress stunted as a result.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Into the weeds is a CPFC saying when it is about to kick off against their local rivals

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What's with the phrase "into the weeds"? About two weeks ago, I'd never heard it being used, but now I hear or see it about half a dozen times a day. Where the hell has it come from and why has it been adopted by every second person at work? And how long before our friends up the road start using it for a dig at us?

Maybe just stop the next person that says it and ask them WTF are they banging on about. :mad:

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Working for San Francisco based tech business meant that unfortunately this phrase has been used around me (but never by me) for at least 15 years!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Getting into the weeds? That's been around for ages. Meaning focussing too much on detail at too early a stage with progress stunted as a result.

Yeah, that's what it seems to mean. I'd never heard it until a couple of weeks ago ... and I attend a lot of conferences and many business meetings. It just seems to be everywhere at the moment

I'd better get on with responding to this email before I get stuck in the weeds

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

been familiar with it for years, slightly different meaning: in the difficult stuff or rarely looked at.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
https://grammarist.com/idiom/in-the-weeds/

In the weeds is an idiom with two distinct definitions. One definition of in the weeds is to be overwhelmed with work and unable to keep up with the necessary pace. For instance, a waitress who is behind in taking orders from her patrons and bringing food out to her guests is considered to be in the weeds. In this case, in the weeds refers to a rush in a work situation, usually in retail or the hospitality industry. The second definition of in the weeds is to wander into esoteric and unimportant details when one is researching a subject or writing a report. In this case, in the weeds describes being focused on the wrong things. The origin of the idiom in the weeds is unknown. Some believe that it originated during the American Prohibition era, when bootleggers and moonshiners hid their liquor in fields. Others believe it is an aviation term, referring to missing a runway when landing and ending up in the weeds.​

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Never heard this saying before, but not surprised it's a yank thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here