Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Interesting Summary of the Olympic Stadium and what it’s done to West Ham

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
For all the moaning and whingeing from the fans about how the dildo brothers have done them over, it's worth remembering that the move to the stadium was supported by 85% of fans. Too many of them were blinded by the increased revenue without looking at the bigger picture,

It may be a crap ground but I'm afraid I have little sympathy for them - they wanted it; they live with it.

They were promised European football.

If the club was well-run and they were in a similar position to, say, Wolves, I'm sure they'd live with the stadium.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Do you think the Amex could have been better designed to make it more atmospheric? It would be bizarre to see a new stadium built with old-style stands and floodlights etc and with the crowd close to the pitch, but I think fans would love it.

100% I love all the brick and ironwork detailing in some rebuild baseball stadiums. Modern take on what gives each ground its unique character. Part of the ongoing destruction of the heart and soul of football in this country is the soulless bowls we now have, and taking blue and white glasses off, the Amex is just another ‘meh’ nothing experience if we’re honest. Nice views from your seat, but a four stand stadium with a modern take on our old, unique floodlights, one in each corner looming over the stadium, how fantastic would that have been?

6_10_09204020camden20yards200081.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

If the club was well-run and they were in a similar position to, say, Wolves, I'm sure they'd live with the stadium.

That seems to be a popular opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You seen the peppercorn rent they pay? Not a chance

Yet they never crop up when talking about financial doping.

Can someone please remind me of the deal they got.
I know it was good, I seem to remember something mind blowing about fizzy pop!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
For all the moaning and whingeing from the fans about how the dildo brothers have done them over, it's worth remembering that the move to the stadium was supported by 85% of fans. Too many of them were blinded by the increased revenue without looking at the bigger picture,

It may be a crap ground but I'm afraid I have little sympathy for them - they wanted it; they live with it.
That survey was organised by the club though, so it was biased towards getting a positive response. Fans were given six options and told to select one. Here they are with the percentage of preferred options:

1 - Support the move to provide a better fan experience - 12%
2 - Support the move as it will provide resources to improve squad and club - 51%
3 - Support the move as it will grow the level of support - 6%
4 - Support the move as you trust the club's directors - 16%
5 - Consider supporting the move, but need more information - 10%
6 - Are against the move under any circumstances - 5%

They got 12,000 responses which is hardly a large part of the fanbase. Most of the options were for 'Yes', and the only real 'No' made you sound like a complete Luddite. However I accept that the majority thought that the increased admission revenue would enable them to be more competitive, so the other fans can blame them! (And of course it hasn't happened). The 'more information' responders probably got it right. I wonder if they got it?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yet they never crop up when talking about financial doping.

Can someone please remind me of the deal they got.
I know it was good, I seem to remember something mind blowing about fizzy pop!

Cost to renovate £323m, annual rent £3m.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That survey was organised by the club though, so it was biased towards getting a positive response. Fans were given six options and told to select one. Here they are with the percentage of positive responses:

2 - Support the move as it will provide resources to improve squad and club - 51%

They got 12,000 responses which is hardly a large part of the fanbase. Most of the options were for 'Yes', and the only real 'No' made you sound like a complete Luddite. However I accept that the majority thought that the increased admission revenue would enable them to be more competitive, so the other fans can blame them! (And of course it hasn't happened). The 'more information' responders probably got it right. I wonder if they got it?
I'd like to play poker against the 16% that voted 4.

They is proper gullible.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1222085568412233728[/tweet]

My expansion on the point 'they only really moan when they're in trouble' of relegation is:-

'they seem to be in relegation trouble quite a lot'.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I accept its not Upton Park and all the downsides but lets get this right.

West Ham have always been a miserable self entitled lot.

If they were at Upton Park having the season they are they would be acting like its the end of the world.

I like West Ham and their fans are alright but my God are they up there in the misery stakes

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I accept its not Upton Park and all the downsides but lets get this right.

West Ham have always been a miserable self entitled lot.

If they were at Upton Park having the season they are they would be acting like its the end of the world.

I like West Ham and their fans are alright but my God are they up there in the misery stakes

They weren't entitled when their club singlehandedly won England the world cup.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
also , did they actually mind moving ? i know they were gutted as Upton Park was special but I dont recall many actually protesting or complaining. The opposite form a lot !

From memory they were onto bigger and better things and accepted thats what was needed.

I get it ...................... but I don't think they've neccasarily been " shafted "

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
The thing that staggers me about it is given they all hate it so much there are still 50,000 willing to turn up every other week to it. Maybe the odd diehard old school fan has given up but unfortunately it feels like for every one of those there are at least another 2 who are ready to take their place.

Nearly mentioned this myself, is great shame really as the club won’t care if some walk away, they’ll just do another deal to get families and new fans in to take their place so those at the top won’t be hit in the pocket and ultimately won’t ever be forced out despite what some older fans say or even do.

Think I saw something like they’ve got a 10k waiting list for season tickets, so even if there was another pitch invasion or thousands turning up the heat like they did to force them out of their seats like the other year, then club could afford to ban every single one and hey presto they’ve already had their seat taken before it’s cold.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
also , did they actually mind moving ? i know they were gutted as Upton Park was special but I dont recall many actually protesting or complaining. The opposite form a lot !

From memory they were onto bigger and better things and accepted thats what was needed.

I get it ...................... but I don't think they've neccasarily been " shafted "

They were definitely shafted by the difference between what the board told them they'd get and what the board delivered.

I agree with what you said earlier.
In their current position they'd be screaming about how Upton Park was holding them back.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Maybe, but that's a ridiculous promise. No club can guarantee that. I'd like to meet the fans who believed that, I've got some cans of magic beans to sell them.

That survey was organised by the club though, so it was biased towards getting a positive response. Fans were given six options and told to select one. Here they are with the percentage of preferred options:

12,000 is a pretty good response - that's about a third of the BG attendance. Most survey companies would be having orgasms if they got half that response rate.

And fans did have options 5 and 6 to vote for - the survey's not that biased.

But the majority who voted for options 2 and 3 have got what they asked for: they've acquired a bunch of new supporters and the club have spunked plenty of money on players: how much did Haller cost? £45m wasn't it? Anderson was not far short of that and I bet Lanzini cost a few bob too.

The only ones who could feel aggrieved are the 12% who wanted a better fan experienc - but what were they expecting?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I don't understand why the West Ham fans weren't making a noise, like they are now, about moving to an athletics stadium until they spent a fair few years actually playing there?

Surely it was obvious is was going to be shit?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't understand why the West Ham fans weren't making a noise, like they are now, about moving to an athletics stadium until they spent a fair few years actually playing there?

Surely it was obvious is was going to be shit?

They do complain, just not consistently.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe, but that's a ridiculous promise. No club can guarantee that. I'd like to meet the fans who believed that, I've got some cans of magic beans to sell them.

I don't think it's so ridiculous. The team was probably mid-table at the time. The club was due much more revenue - and cheap rent.

The fans started protesting a year or two back when the owners didn't spend on players. Then, when they did, they spent poorly - that's the key.

Belatedly, fans have realised it's not about the money. The dildo brothers haven't got a frigging clue. Easier to see from the outside, of course.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think everyone has been cheated here. We were promised that after the Olympics the top tier would be removed and the bottom tier would remain as a permanent 25,000 capacity athletics venue.

1-london-olympic-stadium.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think it's so ridiculous. The team was probably mid-table at the time. The club was due much more revenue - and cheap rent.

The fans started protesting a year or two back when the owners didn't spend on players. Then, when they did, they spent poorly - that's the key.

Belatedly, fans have realised it's not about the money. The dildo brothers haven't got a frigging clue. Easier to see from the outside, of course.

Esp from our comparatively lofty perch, with Mr Bloom leading from the front and building sustainability every waking minute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here