Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Interesting Summary of the Olympic Stadium and what it’s done to West Ham

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was the supporters saying it.

Just as the supporters of Newcastle and Leeds are about to, (dare I say some fans of the Albion would also), sell their souls for a top 4 place.
If West Ham had stayed where they were in the table, during Autumn, they wouldn't be complaining about getting shafted out of Upton Park, now.

Sorry, but thats utter bollocks. If you listen to their fans, its not about League position. Its about where they have to go and watch their team now. Would YOU want to watch BHA there, if that stadium was somehow plonked at Falmer ? Basically Withdean, with a roof ? Stuff that.

Upton Park was a fantastic ground. I can remember going there when we were 2nd division small-fry and they were the big guns. 25,000 packed in tight, close to the pitch - noisy, intimidating, EVERYTHING you want from an away trip. There will be twice the crowd there on Saturday, but barely half the atmosphere. The fans there have been proper shafted with this move, and I feel genuinely sorry for them. 12 years at Withdean was bad enough. I'd be GUTTED if we ended up with what they've got now.

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
Basically Withdean, with a roof.

Haha! First time I went I said to my mate that this ‘London Stadium’, is Withdean, just bigger.

Was told to go forth and multiply at the time, but he’d agree with me now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Haha! First time I went I said to my mate that this ‘London Stadium’, is Withdean, just bigger.

Was told to go forth and multiply at the time, but he’d agree with me now.

Athletics and football just do not mix. The arenas are in no way compatible. I suffered 12 years of it, because I believed there was a light at the end of the tunnel - and BOY was it worth it.

West Ham fans are already at their horrible destination now, which most of them never even wanted. The posts on KUMB show how many of them have given it a go, but are now gradually slipping away. I can really empathise with them. If BHA had sold out like that, I think I'd have ended up doing the same.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry, but thats utter bollocks. If you listen to their fans, its not about League position. Its about where they have to go and watch their team now. Would YOU want to watch BHA there, if that stadium was somehow plonked at Falmer ? Basically Withdean, with a roof ? Stuff that.

Upton Park was a fantastic ground. I can remember going there when we were 2nd division small-fry and they were the big guns. 25,000 packed in tight, close to the pitch - noisy, intimidating, EVERYTHING you want from an away trip. There will be twice the crowd there on Saturday, but barely half the atmosphere. The fans there have been proper shafted with this move, and I feel genuinely sorry for them. 12 years at Withdean was bad enough. I'd be GUTTED if we ended up with what they've got now.

Agreed.
You are even using the same word as me to describe the fans predicament -
They were shafted.

All I'm saying is the level of their discontent is directly proportionate with their league position.

We can certainly add West Ham to the list of clubs in deep deep shite were they relegated.

Oh and white seats - that's not a good look when they empty early (or don't even arrive)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The thing that staggers me about it is given they all hate it so much there are still 50,000 willing to turn up every other week to it. Maybe the odd diehard old school fan has given up but unfortunately it feels like for every one of those there are at least another 2 who are ready to take their place.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The thing that staggers me about it is given they all hate it so much there are still 50,000 willing to turn up every other week to it. Maybe the odd diehard old school fan has given up but unfortunately it feels like for every one of those there are at least another 2 who are ready to take their place.

Delve deeper and you’ll find many of the attendees are new fans, with supporters who watched for decades jacking it in. Plus the club have boosted numbers with ticket deals ... hoping to crush Orient at the same time. It helps being in a city of 8 million.

None of which is a comfort for the life long supporters who were shafted.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Athletics and football just do not mix. The arenas are in no way compatible. I suffered 12 years of it, because I believed there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Withdean? Unless my memory is deceiving me it was an old folks home at the end of the tunnel?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

I don't think 50,000 do turn up

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I'm not saying it's right, but isn't this just an evolution of football? I appreciate that London Stadium is an athletics ground, but it's served West Ham for their purposes to meet new ground rules without the need to demolish and rebuild, and to increase capacity despite the soulless atmosphere. Whilst I understand that there is a generation who remember football at it's grass roots, and have fond memories of the past, things have had to change. Football belongs to a new generation now, and I'm sure they have different views on what they perceive football "to be".

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I'm not saying it's right, but isn't this just an evolution of football? I appreciate that London Stadium is an athletics ground, but it's served West Ham for their purposes to meet new ground rules without the need to demolish and rebuild, and to increase capacity despite the soulless atmosphere. Whilst I understand that there is a generation who remember football at its grass roots, and have fond memories of the past, things have had to change. Football belongs to a new generation now, and I'm sure they have different views on what they perceive football "to be".

Why does it belong to a different generation? I'm not talking about standing on terraces and having a scrap, but why should supporters watch football in an athletics stadium?
It's rubbish. It's everything that is wrong with modern football. The owners tell lies and the supporters have to go along with it or just stop going - what other choice is there? I feel for the West Ham supporters and I don't blame them for giving up. One day I hope they get 'their' club back

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For all the moaning and whingeing from the fans about how the dildo brothers have done them over, it's worth remembering that the move to the stadium was supported by 85% of fans. Too many of them were blinded by the increased revenue without looking at the bigger picture,

It may be a crap ground but I'm afraid I have little sympathy for them - they wanted it; they live with it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
For all the moaning and whingeing from the fans about how the dildo brothers have done them over, it's worth remembering that the move to the stadium was supported by 85% of fans. Too many of them were blinded by the increased revenue without looking at the bigger picture,

It may be a crap ground but I'm afraid I have little sympathy for them - they wanted it; they live with it.

Good point.

So much taxpayers money spent but such a disappointing end result for football. For athletics though, its absolutely world class

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
How much are they "tied in" to the London Stadium? Really don't know any details but maybe in future years they can build something somewhere else and move out of there?

You seen the peppercorn rent they pay? Not a chance

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not saying it's right, but isn't this just an evolution of football? I appreciate that London Stadium is an athletics ground, but it's served West Ham for their purposes to meet new ground rules without the need to demolish and rebuild, and to increase capacity despite the soulless atmosphere. Whilst I understand that there is a generation who remember football at it's grass roots, and have fond memories of the past, things have had to change. Football belongs to a new generation now, and I'm sure they have different views on what they perceive football "to be".

To a certain extent I agree with you; football HAS evolved. That post is a brilliant, evocative, emotional, heartfelt lament for the 'old days' which chimes in utterly with the views of so many of us who remember them as well. I've stood in a packed North Stand at the Goldstone and those days (and especially nights) are amongst my fondest memories - of my life, not just of football matches. But we're part of a (literally) dying breed. In ten or twenty years we'll just be a few doddery old people saying things like "Do you remember when you could just turn up to the ground at ten to three, pay a pound and get in?". The next generation, those who don't know anything other than the changing TV schedules, the sanitised 'Matchday Experience [TM]", the expensive tickets, etc etc will look at us and say "Ok, Boomer, but what was the WiFi like?"

Where I disagree with you is that not all new grounds have to be shit multi-purpose stadia such as West Ham have. Spurs have proved that as have we; so in that respect, yes I do feel sorry for them. The London Stadium does nothing to foster that sense of 'belonging' which I hope football never loses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here