Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

insults -voluntary code to stop them?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
At your age, granny, you should be utterly ashamed of yourself! On a more serious note, and I do appreciate that your post is tongue in cheek, there is a difference between an insult and political correctness, though one could clearly argue the opposite. To answer your question, I suspect that the use of the word "poofter" these days would be construed as an insult. Perhaps it boils down to the intent behind the use of the word? Anyway, sorry, as I am sure that the last thing you want is to get all deep about what you wrote!

To be fair, I actually agree with you and the points you are making. It's the fallout from the Internet and the fact that people can insult other people they have never met with impunity. Ok so the " mods" can ban someone for calling someone a name, but at the end of the day how many of people on here would say the things they do to that persons face? Apart from the obvious idiots that infest message boards, I would suggest no one would.

I have finished my OU degree and you think the insults on here are bad, intellectuals and highly qualified students were many times worse than you get in here on the course message boards. I had a run in with some woman, arguing about a greek myth that was thousands of years old, the Trojan War, and she resorted to insulting me in Latin as I didn't agree with her line of argument, which seeing as no one even knows if homer, or helen of Sparta, or Paris, Achilles or hektor actually existed was just pathetic.

I had a break from here for a year or so as it was being over ran by trolls, they have not all gone away, but it is a much better place. So I would say, if it gets to you, leave it alone for a while, just don't log in and keep an eye on what is being said and you will see when it is worth popping back on.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
We can all find people sheltering from the weather in parks drinking tennants super but is that how you want the whole of society to conduct themselves:facepalm: Very strange post.

Do you not think that this response is just that shade silly? I am not sure what the mention of tennants super is supposed to say -obviously you felt it needed saying, though it is clearly irrelevant, as I am sure you appreciate. In fact, it would be better if people did not feel the need to insult each other, and if you disagree with one another,which is fine, then enter into rational debate. Of course this is not always going to happen, as we are people with all the usual human frailties, but at least one should give it a try. Perhaps you should reflect on who is actually posting the thread which is the strangest?

To be fair, I actually agree with you and the points you are making. It's the fallout from the Internet and the fact that people can insult other people they have never met with impunity. Ok so the " mods" can ban someone for calling someone a name, but at the end of the day how many of people on here would say the things they do to that persons face? Apart from the obvious idiots that infest message boards, I would suggest no one would.

I have finished my OU degree and you think the insults on here are bad, intellectuals and highly qualified students were many times worse than you get in here on the course message boards. I had a run in with some woman, arguing about a greek myth that was thousands of years old, the Trojan War, and she resorted to insulting me in Latin as I didn't agree with her line of argument, which seeing as no one even knows if homer, or helen of Sparta, or Paris, Achilles or hektor actually existed was just pathetic.

I had a break from here for a year or so as it was being over ran by trolls, they have not all gone away, but it is a much better place. So I would say, if it gets to you, leave it alone for a while, just don't log in and keep an eye on what is being said and you will see when it is worth popping back on.

What is your opinion on the Trojan War really being fought by Druids and Gauls over Tin, the final battle, The Horse one I think, really being just outside Cambridge?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What is your opinion on the Trojan War really being fought by Druids and Gauls over Tin, the final battle, The Horse one I think, really being just outside Cambridge?

In the Gog Magog Hills, no less. There's a very nice farm shop there now whose butcher has just won the national burger championship with a lamb and marrow fat number.

In the Gog Magog Hills, no less. .

That's the kiddy.

Fascinating that the similarities between Homers depiction and the layout of the bay and flora and fauna could not have been where it is supposed to be, and almost identical to The Wash.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My friend, you are rather off-track with this. Of course, I am saying that you have an arrogant veneer about you, as you set yourself up to say that a point has to be driven home with an insult -you seem to be rather confused with your use of the capital letters for emphasis. Why do you need to drive a point home with an insult if necessary -what is so superior about your view? Perhaps it is you that might be wrong and the point might not need to be driven home?! Had you thought of this?
Again, read through all the posts - I could not post what I did and then fling an insult myself. Where have I insulted you? To say that you have an arrogant veneer and give a reason for it, is hardly an insult, you know. I appreciate you might think it is all waffle, but I think, with the greatest respect, that you do not quite understand the point I am making.
Well, you have. Amongst the things you've said is that my posts have an 'arrogant veneer', what is that if not an insult? Did you mean it as a compliment?

And nothing is superior about my view. I (and others) have disagreed with you and made a case, that's all.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That's the kiddy.

Fascinating that the similarities between Homers depiction and the layout of the bay and flora and fauna could not have been where it is supposed to be, and almost identical to The Wash.

Odysseus's home, Ithaca was described in the Oddyssey in some detail, especially in the telemachy , when even with environmental disasters like volcanic eruptions etc, it is actually described the wrong way around. It is obviously lost in translation, but this woman wouldn't have it! It was a bit like arguing with a creationist and people who believe that the Koran or the bible is 100% historical fact!

Odysseus's home, Ithaca was described in the Oddyssey in some detail, especially in the telemachy , when even with environmental disasters like volcanic eruptions etc, it is actually described the wrong way around. It is obviously lost in translation, but this woman wouldn't have it! It was a bit like arguing with a creationist and people who believe that the Koran or the bible is 100% historical fact!

I thought Odysseus home was Cadiz.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That's the kiddy.

It's not a subject that I can claim to have great knowledge about. I do know that the classical academics of my local university don't take the claims seriously at all. Then again, many didn't much rate Einstein to start with either. :shrug:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought Odysseus home was Cadiz.

Could well have been. I prefer to think it was in the greek Islands somewhere. Or at least part of my dissertation suggested it was.🍷

Could well have been. I prefer to think it was in the greek Islands somewhere. Or at least part of my dissertation suggested it was.🍷

Well, I only recently started to look at it after reading a book Called "Trojan Odyssey" by Clive Cussler which fascinated me, so I bow to your superior knowledge.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My friend, you are rather off-track with this. Of course, I am saying that you have an arrogant veneer about you, as you set yourself up to say that a point has to be driven home with an insult -you seem to be rather confused with your use of the capital letters for emphasis. Why do you need to drive a point home with an insult if necessary -what is so superior about your view? Perhaps it is you that might be wrong and the point might not need to be driven home?! Had you thought of this?
Again, read through all the posts - I could not post what I did and then fling an insult myself. Where have I insulted you? To say that you have an arrogant veneer and give a reason for it, is hardly an insult, you know. I appreciate you might think it is all waffle, but I think, with the greatest respect, that you do not quite understand the point I am making.

Do you not think that this response is just that shade silly? I am not sure what the mention of tennants super is supposed to say -obviously you felt it needed saying, though it is clearly irrelevant, as I am sure you appreciate. In fact, it would be better if people did not feel the need to insult each other, and if you disagree with one another,which is fine, then enter into rational debate. Of course this is not always going to happen, as we are people with all the usual human frailties, but at least one should give it a try. Perhaps you should reflect on who is actually posting the thread which is the strangest?

And the award for the 2014 Most Pompous Prig on NSC goes to....

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

You took the words out of my mouth in your first para as I was going to say precisely that to the respondent who thought that the plea to stop insults was an odd post. Yes, you are right -anonymity can produce some unfortunate results, as I am sure that most of those criticising my stance, do not routinely insult others in their normal day to day lives. I will of course take your word that it a better place, as I have only recently had the time to be actively involved, but this thread has nonetheless been a revelation, though I was not in the slightest bit surprised at the vitriol aimed at me. One post mentioned that NSC is a successful forum, and in a sense it is, as so many of us can talk and debate about the Albion, mainly, and inevitably other issues as well -long may it continue. On the train over to the Blackburn match, I saw someone sitting on the other side of the gangway, whom I have known for years. Inevitably, the talk was about the Albion, and I asked him whether he looked at NSC. His immediate reaction was to laugh and say he largely takes it with a pinch of salt, due to some of the posts on there, and then two folk behind me then joined in and said the same. Behind me in the stadium, I asked the same question to the two lads whom I have got to know and a similar reaction was evident -they read it and make no attempt to join in because of the abuse they suspect they will get. I notice that you too took the step of leaving NSC for a moment. My point is that if we all make an attempt to end the vitriol, then it is likely to be an even more successful and inclusive forum. It need not be dull at all -there is much scope to join in heated debate without thinking that you need to end the post by calling someone of a different view a total xxx.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Well, you have. Amongst the things you've said is that my posts have an 'arrogant veneer', what is that if not an insult? Did you mean it as a compliment?

And nothing is superior about my view. I (and others) have disagreed with you and made a case, that's all.

I was wondering when someone would bring in the fact that others feel the same to lend a bit of credence to their statement. Of course others feel the same, they would, wouldn't they? But then others presumably do not feel that they are in agreement with you, and you are basing this on the sample of those who replied. It is not necessarily representative of majority opinion.
Let me say that perhaps I should have put my point rather more tactfully, and said that to decide that you need to insult others as their opinions do not match yours is an arrogant stance, and you obviously do not see this. This is an opinion, and I gave you the reason for it -there has never been any suggestion that I object to you disagreeing with me, a such. An insult would be much stronger and is usually unsubstantiated -I did give you a reason, as stated, though of course you do not agree, as is your right.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was wondering when someone would bring in the fact that others feel the same to lend a bit of credence to their statement. Of course others feel the same, they would, wouldn't they? But then others presumably do not feel that they are in agreement with you, and you are basing this on the sample of those who replied. It is not necessarily representative of majority opinion.
Let me say that perhaps I should have put my point rather more tactfully, and said that to decide that you need to insult others as their opinions do not match yours is an arrogant stance, and you obviously do not see this. This is an opinion, and I gave you the reason for it -there has never been any suggestion that I object to you disagreeing with me, a such. An insult would be much stronger and is usually unsubstantiated -I did give you a reason, as stated, though of course you do not agree, as is your right.

Well of course I'm going to bring in the fact that others agree with me, what's wrong with that? Most if not all 'disagreement' threads on here have people backing each other up, that's kinda how these discussions work. However I accept your apology that you could have been more tactful, but really there was no need, you were simply using an insult to 'drive home your point' as most of us do on here from time to time.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
You took the words out of my mouth in your first para as I was going to say precisely that to the respondent who thought that the plea to stop insults was an odd post. Yes, you are right -anonymity can produce some unfortunate results, as I am sure that most of those criticising my stance, do not routinely insult others in their normal day to day lives. I will of course take your word that it a better place, as I have only recently had the time to be actively involved, but this thread has nonetheless been a revelation, though I was not in the slightest bit surprised at the vitriol aimed at me. One post mentioned that NSC is a successful forum, and in a sense it is, as so many of us can talk and debate about the Albion, mainly, and inevitably other issues as well -long may it continue. On the train over to the Blackburn match, I saw someone sitting on the other side of the gangway, whom I have known for years. Inevitably, the talk was about the Albion, and I asked him whether he looked at NSC. His immediate reaction was to laugh and say he largely takes it with a pinch of salt, due to some of the posts on there, and then two folk behind me then joined in and said the same. Behind me in the stadium, I asked the same question to the two lads whom I have got to know and a similar reaction was evident -they read it and make no attempt to join in because of the abuse they suspect they will get. I notice that you too took the step of leaving NSC for a moment. My point is that if we all make an attempt to end the vitriol, then it is likely to be an even more successful and inclusive forum. It need not be dull at all -there is much scope to join in heated debate without thinking that you need to end the post by calling someone of a different view a total xxx.

When I talk to people about NSC they often reply they read posts but don't comment because of the abuse.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Well of course I'm going to bring in the fact that others agree with me, what's wrong with that? Most if not all 'disagreement' threads on here have people backing each other up, that's kinda how these discussions work. However I accept your apology that you could have been more tactful, but really there was no need, you were simply using an insult to 'drive home your point' as most of us do on here from time to time.

Well, at best we are going to have to disagree as to what constitutes an insult and what is an opinion. In fact someone on here did talk about something like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you can say that same about insults and political correctness, I suppose. Of course there is a grey area, and one person's view of where to draw the line is not necessarily that of another. I am referring to extreme examples like the one yesterday when a post referred to David Burke as a dipsxxt, when the post could not possibly know the intricate ins and out of the club, and if the person concerned is necessarily to blame for the Albion's current woes. By your logic, the post considered that DB is guilty of unacceptable conduct and therefore needs to be told. That is the logic, let me stress, and it may well be that we are in agreement that this is unacceptable, I fully appreciate.
Of course people have those who agree and disagree and you are right , in that this is how it works. My point was that we can all blindly say that others agree to gain a bit of upmanship, which, be honest, was your aim!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
And the award for the 2014 Most Pompous Prig on NSC goes to....

I can assure you that I do not mean to be pompous at all, and it is unfortunate that you have that impression, but then it is a forum and these things will happen. Often in face to face discussions, it is easier to couch terms in the tone that would emphasise your meaning, which of course is not possible here. I do hope at least that you read the comments to which I referred and the unnecessary comment about the tenants lager, which serves no purpose. This puts my response in context. As this debate goes on, I notice that a few are now coming on to say that the abuse puts people off, which is a shame, as the more views there are, the merrier. Also, the big boss man has appeared to say that insults are unacceptable - not, you would think, that this should be necessary! You might like to reflect on how you have put your post . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here