Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

insults -voluntary code to stop them?

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I hope you will allow an oldie a moment's self-indulgence! I have just dodged the dreadful showers in Alexandra Park, Hastings and spoken to some super people, who were friendly and affable. I could not help but contrast that with some of the NSC respondent's contributions these last couple of days which are quite offensive to others. Yes, the situation at the Albion is causing stress and strain, but nonetheless, it would be really good if we could all avoid insults aimed at others:

They are invariably unpleasant.
They are almost certainly unnecessary and unsubstantiated.
With the degree of anonymity afforded by such a forum, I suspect that they in any case don't represent the "real you".
The insults display an element of unwelcome arrogance - calling others a xxxx simply because they hold a different view, does not reflect well on respondents.
By all means put your view across with vigour, and, yes, you may find it hard to see the opposite opinion, and there is nothing wrong with saying so, but it does not follow that he/she is a xxxxxxxx

I have read many erudite comments on here this morning, far better than I could put together, and long may it continue, but please let us all avoid wild insults that serve absolutely no purpose.
Many thanks for your patience!

From one oldie to another, I think it may be an age thing.
Certainly on line communication does cross the line at times, but, I prefer the way opinions are handled here.
I was told by a line manager several years ago I needed to adapt my thinking to handle today's society better, been easier since then.

This is a football messageboard, not a tea room at the Womens Institute.

I'd agree that a line needs to be drawn at mindless insults and abuse for the sake of it. But if I want to call someone a COCKSMOKER every now and then, I don't see the harm in that. We're all grown-ups. Mostly.

Does this involve the individual inhaling nicotine ?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
People often use exaggerated examples to give some credence to their view -a comparison such as this is absurd, as I am sure that deep down you know. You are right in that NSC is a vibrant community and debate will get heated - I am quite happy with that. As you say it is a forum for airing views and perhaps even learning from others, which does not need to go into abuse, for the reasons I mentioned in my initial statement. Fascinatingly, you then go on to talk of plenty of people like it as it is - what you mean is that YOU like it and then resort to the usual tactic of a sweeping statement such as plenty of others, again to lend some credence to your view. I would imagine that plenty of people do not approve of wild insults, afterall is it really a regular feature of life? I have been around long enough not to be shocked by bad language and insults after 25 years of attachment with the Army and playing football myself, albeit to a poor standard, but am also long enough in the tooth to appreciate where it can all lead.
No, honestly, it's not just us, the vast vast majority prefer it as it is. If you don't like it (and like football, it's all about opinions) then there are other Brighton messageboards where they take a dim view of insults (and at least one was started as a direct result of insults and abuse on here). It may surprise you to learn though that hardly anybody posts on them.

And do you want to answer my question from #16?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
This is a football messageboard, not a tea room at the Womens Institute.

I'd agree that a line needs to be drawn at mindless insults and abuse for the sake of it. But if I want to call someone a COCKSMOKER every now and then, I don't see the harm in that. We're all grown-ups. Mostly.

That doesn't strike me as very 'grown-up' - more like a kindegarten playground attitude :)

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
That doesn't strike me as very 'grown-up' - more like a kindegarten playground attitude :)

How cosmopolitan; I'd've said nursery school!

RedRob

come the revolution......
Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang
People often use exaggerated examples to give some credence to their view -a comparison such as this is absurd, as I am sure that deep down you know. You are right in that NSC is a vibrant community and debate will get heated - I am quite happy with that. As you say it is a forum for airing views and perhaps even learning from others, which does not need to go into abuse, for the reasons I mentioned in my initial statement. Fascinatingly, you then go on to talk of plenty of people like it as it is - what you mean is that YOU like it and then resort to the usual tactic of a sweeping statement such as plenty of others, again to lend some credence to your view. I would imagine that plenty of people do not approve of wild insults, afterall is it really a regular feature of life? I have been around long enough not to be shocked by bad language and insults after 25 years of attachment with the Army and playing football myself, albeit to a poor standard, but am also long enough in the tooth to appreciate where it can all lead.

To the Hastings Gull: Sir, you seem to be perfectly reasonable, articulate chap - you are therefore doomed to be abused on this godforesaken excuse for a fans' forum.

(Please feel free to have read through the abuse that I got.....for what?)

Maybe for suggesting that this site is full of:

right wing teenagers

right wing middle class reactionaries

small minded 'never been out of Sussex' types

Cowards

The stuff some posters on here subject their fellow fans to is outrageous - would they butt into someone else's conversation at the bar in a busy pub on a saturday night & abuse them?.....I think not.

Don't waste you time.....I don't!

Oh,......& h*ppia OUT!

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
The only thing worse than a dole scrounger is a moaning OAP that has nothing better to do with their time. Only the other day, I was on a packed bus when an OAP cheekily asked if I would stand up so he could sit down. He wasn't happy when I said no and pointed out that I had paid for my bus ticket and he had got his free.... What a cheek! not only getting free bus travel, he also wanted MY seat!

If the OP does not fall into the category of an OAP then I apologise.

flying high

May 12, 2009
To the Hastings Gull: Sir, you seem to be perfectly reasonable, articulate chap - you are therefore doomed to be abused on this godforesaken excuse for a fans' forum.

right wing teenagers

Cowards

The stuff some posters on here subject their fellow fans to is outrageous - would they butt into someone else's conversation at the bar in a busy pub on a saturday night & abuse them?.....I think not.

Oh,......& h*ppia OUT!
Many people I know read NSC but wont post on it for the reasons you state. If others dont agree let them feel free to post.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
But sometimes people ARE complete ***** and need to be told. I hope your plea falls on deaf ears, and I say that as someone who usually doesn't like to abuse people who disagree with me. (Usually).

You asked me to point out the contradiction in your statement. On the one hand you don't like to abuse people who disagree with you, yet there you go saying that some people are xxxxx precisely because they do disagree with you, and need to be told. Do they? You assume that you are obviously the one who needs to do the telling, which brings me back to what I initially said, that it reflects a certain degree of arrogance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In the old days this thread would have already descended into a 26 page binfest and the thread would have been all the more interesting because of it. I miss the old NSC :down:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

right wing teenagers

Cowards

Oh,......& h*ppia OUT!

What a load of old bobbins. Nobody is "doomed to be abused" on here, except perhaps Timmy, but then he brings it upon himself. Your stereotypical list of offenders is a very small minority, if they even exist at all. And if they do, you know what ? There's an 'ignore' function which is very easy to use.

I'd be genuinely interested to see some of the abuse that has been levelled at you, and for what. Got any quotes ?

And if this is such a "godforsaken excuse for a fans forum" - then what are you doing still here ?

What a load of old bobbins. Nobody is "doomed to be abused" on here, except perhaps Timmy, but then he brings it upon himself. Your stereotypical list of offenders is a very small minority, if they even exist at all. And if they do, you know what ? There's an 'ignore' function which is very easy to use.

I'd be genuinely interested to see some of the abuse that has been levelled at you, and for what. Got any quotes ?

He told me to F*ck off on the Thatcher thread last year.

Charming.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Many people I know read NSC but wont post on it for the reasons you state. If others dont agree let them feel free to post.

Thanks for the post - When I started the post, I was well aware of the standard of replies that I would receive. It is, as someone said, a vibrant and successful forum, with much debate, often heated and there is nothing wrong with that -indeed, long may it continue. It has been going for many years and only recently have I had the time to devote to it. My only plea is that you debate and listen without resorting to not very pleasant insults, which achieve little, and are often the result of arrogance -they don't agree, therefore they must be a xxx because I am always right. You are quite correct -it is does not often happen in public - so why here?

RedRob

Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang
.....Can't we all just meet-up in a pub car park on saturday night, & batter those we don't like? (will need to start early, about 6pm?, to get through them all by closing time) :laugh:

RedRob

Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang

And if this is such a "godforsaken excuse for a fans forum" - then what are you doing still here ?

...I'm not 'tory boy'! - how many posts have I made in the last year?.....& your good self?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
.....Can't we all just meet-up in a pub car park on saturday night, & batter those we don't like? (will need to start early, about 6pm?, to get through them all by closing time) :laugh:

Unfortunately they tend to batter back and then you rue the thought in the first place. I know it is tongue in cheek, by the way . .well, I hope it is!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here