Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Insignificant Things You Cannot Do WITHOUT....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There is actually something worse - the greaseproof paper that used to be standard issue in schools. Didn't so much wipe as smear
AND you had to request it from teacher prior to the visit to the toilet block so everyone knew your business.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Slow cooker. Phenomenal piece of kit on a day where everyone is out the house, arriving home and different times and all wanting dinner. 5 mins work in the morning, lob it in, help yourself to delicious dinner when you get in.

Today it's a bolognaise. Yesterday it was a bean chilli. Will probably to do Steak/Stilton thingy and a veggie curry in the next few days.

The joy of being smug all day knowing dinner is sorted and actually getting tastier by the second whilst you are out the house is fantastic.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Slow cooker. Phenomenal piece of kit on a day where everyone is out the house, arriving home and different times and all wanting dinner. 5 mins work in the morning, lob it in, help yourself to delicious dinner when you get in.

Today it's a bolognaise. Yesterday it was a bean chilli. Will probably to do Steak/Stilton thingy and a veggie curry in the next few days.

The joy of being smug all day knowing dinner is sorted and actually getting tastier by the second whilst you are out the house is fantastic.
I like to do slow cooker about once or twice a year. Nice to come home from football occasionally to the smell of cooking. Would do it more often except always feel a bit cheated in that even quite small chunks of spud are as hard after ten hours full blast slow cooking as they were when you put them in. Booooo :angry:

Last edited:

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

I always get excited when I know I have a meal in the slow cooker, that smug feeling of being prepared. And I'm usually disappointed with what it produces. Whatever you put in, always comes out tasting the same, seems to deaden all flavours.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
My thermal snoods. Absolute GAMECHANGERS for my winter walks, and when I'm sat in the WSU. Scarves are useless in comparison, and have been consigned to the back of my pants drawer.

Can't wait to see what the freebie snood for STH renewers will be like. Looks a bit thin, but may suffice when it gets a bit warmer.
Milner won't be impressed with you 🤦🏼‍♂️

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
This! I say it once every year, this is the best thing I've ever bought! Some German engineering behind this masterpiece, I don't know what you call it in English, but it is for your Christmas tree. Just make sure the tree stand straight, pump the pedal and you are done! Outstanding!!!View attachment 172921
Brilliant shout. Up there with some of the best things ever.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Cotton buds. Nothing else quite hits the spot when you've got an itch in the nose or ear and just need to get it like them.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I always get excited when I know I have a meal in the slow cooker, that smug feeling of being prepared. And I'm usually disappointed with what it produces. Whatever you put in, always comes out tasting the same, seems to deaden all flavours.
That's interesting. I've certainly learnt what works and doesn't. Fantastic for pie fillings.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Agreed. My wife has taken to doing everything in the slow cooker. I shouldn't complain as it means I don't have to cook, but most of the results are just rubbish. There's no replacement for care being taken to sweat onions/brown the meat first etc.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Agreed. My wife has taken to doing everything in the slow cooker. I shouldn't complain as it means I don't have to cook, but most of the results are just rubbish. There's no replacement for care being taken to sweat onions/brown the meat first etc.
Oh I'll do that first before it goes in the slow cooker. I can't do throwing raw veggies in or not browning meat before. But the 8 hours of the sauce cooking and taking on the flavours you've thrown in work really well in certain dishes. It helps i WFH or don't need to be out the house early so I have the time in the morning to get it on the go and then come home to it.

Also great that it can be picked up and chucked into the oven if you've added a lid onto a pie filling for example and then out comes one massive pie.

Also brilliant for making stock which was nice over Christmas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here