Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Inside No. 9 - New Series

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Just watched last night’s episode, wow just wow that episode is definitely up there, fantastic season

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Ha

I wondered where the bus episode went. The cheeky swines.

3x3 noteworthy for not having them in it - the only one I recall. Lee Mack was really stretched in that role. Bafta incoming?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I still love the series and found Series 8 enjoyable on the whole, but in my view it was regrettably the weakest to-date. Shearsmith and Pemberton remain wonderful actors, and their sense of humour always gives me a few genuinely hearty laughs per episode.

I am reminded of Jonathan Creek in the post-Maddie seasons. It still makes strong television, but the writing is starting to feel a touch laboured at times compared to the earlier brilliance. I hope this show doesn’t become like the very poorly received last few episodes of JC, where David Renwick all but admitted in interviews he had run out of ideas. I am sure Shearsmith and Pemberton won’t allow that to happen.

The shows have a lot of parallels. Similar styles of humour, often a mystery to solve - and a desire to keep the audience guessing right up to the credits. Each new episode requires an original premise, and I can’t imagine it is easy plucking new mystery ideas out of thin air when everything has been done before.

This is probably why Shearsmith and Pemberton rely heavily on loving tributes/parodies of established franchises and their tropes. The Wicker Man episode, the Exorcist episode, the cheesy game show episode.

I don’t know if I am just aware of all their devices and tricks at this stage, having seen every episode in the previous series’ at least twice, but on a first watch I found myself guessing the twist extremely early in every episode, and then simply waiting for it to come to fruition.

Their mystery writing is “fair-play” storytelling, with enough clues throughout to play along (no last minute Deus Ex Machinas, even when magic and the paranormal are involved in the plot). The problem is I am always expecting a twist at this stage, much like watching anything by M. Night Shymalan after seeing The Sixth Sense.

For example - spoilers abound for the episodes “Love is a Stranger” and “3 By 3”:

The killer was made blatantly obvious in the former episode. The shots of “dates” arriving when she claims to never date in real life. The psychopathic trait of copying other information about people in an attempt to please them/appear socially well-adjusted, used as a trope of a psychopath in fiction (and reality). The repeated mentions of her deceased mother and having been her carer, bringing to mind the stereotypical “mommy’s boy” serial killers of real life and screen, like Norman Bates. Then the repeated over-selling of her vulnerability and her meeting a weird coke-head, a married guy etc - all set up to show why she hates “horrible men”.

In “3 by 3” they again elect to go quite heavy on the clues, with the kid interrupting to answer the question “What was the…”, which is of course impossible without either cheating or mind-reading. I discarded the former due to all the close ups of her doing her finest psychic squinting acting, before answering a question she clearly has no idea about.

The best episodes for me use a much lighter touch. The performances from the lads and guest actors are always excellent, so it falls into a tricky area of having to criticise a lack of subtlety in some episodes of a show which doesn’t exactly claim to be a masterwork of perspicacity.

So yes, I liked the series on the whole and each episode still simply flies by - even the less enjoyable ones - but maybe a rest for this show for a bit might not be a terrible thing.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
@hart's shirt I’d be interested to know if you agree or disagree
Sorry, your thoughtful post slipped under my NSC browsing radar!

There were certainly a couple of episodes in Series 8 that I'll admit left me a little bemused at times. (Spoiler Alert) Specifically the last one tested the bounds of credibility - would a father really go through that deceit and everything that entailed relationship-wise for 9 whole years? It's not so much revenge served cold, but something akin to the Arctic tundra. Clearly a lot was going on psychologically inside his particular 9, but it was still a stretch for those who us who'll regularly give Reece and Steve pretty much carte blanche to construct whatever they will.

As you rightly say, there's often homage paid to favourite shows or films. You mentioned The Wicker Man (Mr King) and The Exorcist - Season 8 had Scanners in 3 by 3. As well as the game of 'where's the hare' and the almost inevitable twist, it's always fun to try and work out those films. The football themed episode, The Referee's a W*nker (S5E1), even played on the show's name itself with a sly reference to the nature of the relationship with the rival player and his specific position on the field. Inside (the) number 9?

So have I enjoyed season 8 as much as the previous 7? On reflection, probably not although it was well worth watching. I should add that there have been some decidedly average episodes for me previously - And The Winner Is... (S4E5) and Last Night of the Proms (S6E6). Even Season 1's Last Gasp and The Understudy didn't quite do it for me. But at the risk of nostalgia, I think the previous seasons had a little more to them, possibly because I wasn't expecting or predicting the possible outcomes quite as much as I am now.

Favourite season? Probably 3. (The Devil At Christmas, The Bill, The Riddle of the Sphinx, Empty Orchestra, Diddle Diddle Dumpling, Private View).

Favourite episode? The 12 Days of Christine (S2E2). I've said it before on this thread, but it's one of the best 30 minutes I've ever seen on TV.
An honourable mention to Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room (S4E2) which made me feel every emotion in half an hour.

I can't wait for season 9. They can have a long well-deserved rest after that!

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Sorry, your thoughtful post slipped under my NSC browsing radar!

There were certainly a couple of episodes in Series 8 that I'll admit left me a little bemused at times. (Spoiler Alert) Specifically the last one tested the bounds of credibility - would a father really go through that deceit and everything that entailed relationship-wise for 9 whole years? It's not so much revenge served cold, but something akin to the Arctic tundra. Clearly a lot was going on psychologically inside his particular 9, but it was still a stretch for those who us who'll regularly give Reece and Steve pretty much carte blanche to construct whatever they will.

As you rightly say, there's often homage paid to favourite shows or films. You mentioned The Wicker Man (Mr King) and The Exorcist - Season 8 had Scanners in 3 by 3. As well as the game of 'where's the hare' and the almost inevitable twist, it's always fun to try and work out those films. The football themed episode, The Referee's a W*nker (S5E1), even played on the show's name itself with a sly reference to the nature of the relationship with the rival player and his specific position on the field. Inside (the) number 9?

So have I enjoyed season 8 as much as the previous 7? On reflection, probably not although it was well worth watching. I should add that there have been some decidedly average episodes for me previously - And The Winner Is... (S4E5) and Last Night of the Proms (S6E6). Even Season 1's Last Gasp and The Understudy didn't quite do it for me. But at the risk of nostalgia, I think the previous seasons had a little more to them, possibly because I wasn't expecting or predicting the possible outcomes quite as much as I am now.

Favourite season? Probably 3. (The Devil At Christmas, The Bill, The Riddle of the Sphinx, Empty Orchestra, Diddle Diddle Dumpling, Private View).

Favourite episode? The 12 Days of Christine (S2E2). I've said it before on this thread, but it's one of the best 30 minutes I've ever seen on TV.
An honourable mention to Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room (S4E2) which made me feel every emotion in half an hour.

I can't wait for season 9. They can have a long well-deserved rest after that!
Agree with pretty much all of that. 12 Days of Christine is among my favourite 30 minutes slots of television ever.

Also agree strongly re: Series 3, perfection for my tastes!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I still think A Quiet Night In just shades it for me, if only in terms of being something really groundbreaking

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I still think A Quiet Night In just shades it for me, if only in terms of being something really groundbreaking
My favourite one by as well, very clever and very funny

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Funnily enough I guessed the 'twists' in the two episodes I've caught up on, The Love Is a Stranger and 3by3. Didn't spoil the enjoyment of it, still think they're some of the best short TV programmes out there.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Crikey episode 6 of season 8 is cold! I mean crikey, that's some dark shit to go that far for revenge. Is it a believable story? I dunno, I'm sure someone in this world would be that driven though, so maybe. I usually try to avoid analysing it too much and just go with what's put in front of me when it comes to Pemberton and Shearsmith.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The beginning of the end. :(

The 9th and final series should air in a month or two's time.

Guest stars:
Eddie Marsan
Siobhan Finneran
Vinette Robinson
Hayley Squires
Susan Wokoma
Mark Bonnar
Charlie Cooper
Katherine Kelly
Philippa Dunne
Dorothy Atkinson
Adrian Scarborough
Joel Fry
and...
*drum roll*
"Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be..."
Matthew Kelly who once appeared in a 1978 episode of Play for Today, one of the original inspirations for Inside No 9.

Anything else that's been revealed? Just Steve Pemberton in drag at a tube station. :)

9th series.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Praise be, hopefully will be superb

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I both cannot wait and dread it ending in equal measure

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
@A1X @Beach Hut @Mellotron @jcdenton08 @Grizz @Motogull @HangletonGull ... and anyone else interested..

Inside Number 9's previous series being repeated now on Wednesday nights, 10pm on BBC2.

And just in case anyone would be interested in attending the BFI Preview.

Inside No. 9: The Final Series​

+ Q&A with Reece Shearsmith, Steve Pemberton and executive producer Adam Tandy​

After nine hugely successful and award-winning series, Inside No. 9 is finally closing its door. Across more than 50 episodes of the show, we’ve seen scenarios ranging from a 17th-century witchcraft trial and a brilliantly conceived silent burglary to a police stakeout and even a reunion of Psychoville favourites David and Maureen. Tonight, we preview new material from the final series, in the company of the creative team behind the show, who will reflect on their journey over the last decade.

Tickets £21, concessions £17 (Members pay £2 less).

Monday 11 March 2024 18:15 NFT1

Tickets on sale
Thursday 08 February 2024 11:30

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/online/d...malink=inside-no-9-final-series-qanda-preview

End of an era. Last chance. We'll miss it when it's gone.

In case you're interested, here's some of the Series 7 Q&A. I think there's 1 or 2 of the episodes shown as well at the previews!

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
@A1X @Beach Hut @Mellotron @jcdenton08 @Grizz @Motogull @HangletonGull ... and anyone else interested..

Inside Number 9's previous series being repeated now on Wednesday nights, 10pm on BBC2.

And just in case anyone would be interested in attending the BFI Preview.

Inside No. 9: The Final Series​

+ Q&A with Reece Shearsmith, Steve Pemberton and executive producer Adam Tandy​

After nine hugely successful and award-winning series, Inside No. 9 is finally closing its door. Across more than 50 episodes of the show, we’ve seen scenarios ranging from a 17th-century witchcraft trial and a brilliantly conceived silent burglary to a police stakeout and even a reunion of Psychoville favourites David and Maureen. Tonight, we preview new material from the final series, in the company of the creative team behind the show, who will reflect on their journey over the last decade.

Tickets £21, concessions £17 (Members pay £2 less).

Monday 11 March 2024 18:15 NFT1

Tickets on sale
Thursday 08 February 2024 11:30

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/online/d...malink=inside-no-9-final-series-qanda-preview

End of an era. Last chance. We'll miss it when it's gone.

In case you're interested, here's some of the Series 7 Q&A. I think there's 1 or 2 of the episodes shown as well at the previews!

That's Barry Shitpeas!

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Fantastic! Genuinely some of the most unique TV over the last decade. It's utterly fascinating, I love it. Best make sure the series link is up to date 😁

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm sure that the genius that is Reece Shearsmith will be back with something brilliant !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here