Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Inside No. 9 - New Series

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
9pm tonight on BBC2

"Dr. Jasper Parkway has booked an overnight stay in a reputedly haunted church on Christmas Eve. However, much to his dismay, he is soon joined by unwanted guests Pierce and Posy, who have even brought their own sleeping bags. Together with the eccentric warden Dick, it doesn’t look like Jasper is going to be lonely this Christmas. Even though sherry, biscuits and Yuletide phantoms are on offer, why is Jasper so keen to be left to his own devices?"

inside no 9.jpg

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Thanks quality TV.
It really is, isn't it?

I love the way that each of the episodes (with the exception of Death Be Not Proud) is completely stand-alone, so you can watch without any previous knowledge of Shearsmith and Pemberton's work.

As others have previously said, The 12 Days of Christine with Sheridan Smith was one of the best things I've ever seen.

Great news that the BBC have commissioned another 2 series to make it up to the planned 9 series.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fantastic episode, usual brilliant standard

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Brilliant...

Way scarier than the Gatiss 'official' version on last night
I do enjoy a good M. R. James story at Christmas, but barring a few jump scares, it wasn't the best.

If folks want a real chill, the 1968 black and white Whistle and I'll Come to You will provide that and more.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
With only one more series after this one, agents are going to be busy. If I was an actor, I'd really want to say I'd done one of these.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just seen a “Coming Soon” trailer for the new series, so hopefully in a few weeks

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just seen a “Coming Soon” trailer for the new series, so hopefully in a few weeks
Praise the lord, simply one of the best TV shows for some time

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
After 'The Bones of St Nicholas' at Christmas, one S8 episode will be an homage to On The Buses.

Complete with Robin Askwith from the 70s Confessions of... films!

Next episode - 'Mother's Ruin' with Phil Daniels and Anita Dobson scheduled for 27th April.

on the buses.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Next Thursday, BBC2, 10pm

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Reece Shearsmith interview​

What can people expect from series eight of Inside No. 9?

Once again, series eight is six very different stories. Some silly, some frightening, and some this time around quite gory, which is something that we haven’t done before. As always, lots of surprises, twists and turns.

Now you’re on series eight, does it continue to get harder coming up with brand new ideas, locations and themes?

Locations are the easy bit to come up with. The nine on something is the easiest part but the story and what happens, that’s everything. To come up with something now that we feel like we haven’t done before – that's getting harder.

We’ve now got to be mindful that we’re not repeating ourselves or doing the same story but not as good as past one we’ve done. It gets harder but that’s the challenge.

What’s it been like working with the guests starts for this series?

It was really nice to get very quick and very enthusiastic yeses from Anita Dobson and Phil Daniels when they said yes to Mother’s Ruin, because they’re perfect for the parts. We never write the parts with anyone in mind but when we finally came to casting it, and to get back ‘yes, we’d love to do it’ it was great.

We’ve got some great people again this year. It was great to work with Amanda Abbington again, playing my wife now on film and on the stage because we were doing a play together at the same time [Steven Moffat’s The Unfriend].

Asim Chaudhry was brilliant in his episode; everyone was really brilliant and they all brought something to it. No one has ever come in and we’ve thought ‘oh that’s not how we imagined’ or if they have done that, they’ve made more of what we’ve given them, and that's always great – better than what we imagined.

Do you have a favourite character you’ve played in series eight and why?

I quite liked the episode that's called Paraskevidekatriaphobia. It’s about a man that’s terrified of Friday the 13th, which is a real phobia, and he spends the day of Friday 13th just trying to not have anything happen to him and as you can imagine, some things do.

The escalation of that and the man's terrible day as things get worse and worse was a fun part to play. So, the part of Gareth in that episode I enjoyed doing, it was quite slapstick and I like doing physical comedy.

Do you think people will be surprised with what you’ve put together in these new episodes?

I think people will be, rightfully, excited. The idea of doing the bus episode was almost like a fan joke that we should do. People always give us ideas for number nines and the most obvious one you can probably think of is doing a number nine bus, we’d had it a lot and thought we’d go ahead with it – that'll be a fun one for people to get their head around when they finally see it.

The gore of Mother’s Ruin too, and there are some that are more thoughtful and a bit more reflective and people like those ones. People loved Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room and The 12 Days of Christine, they are very moving ones. I think we’ve got some in this mix that have got that sort of feel as well – there might be sleeper hits that we can’t quite work out yet.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/interview...w_series_of_inside_no_9_is_gorier_than_before

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Almost time guys...10pm BBC2.

mother's ruin.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just watched it, how good was Anita Dobson - simply brilliant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here