Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Injury Time

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's always manifestly unfair as it's a massively stupid rule.

The idea behind it is right. It came in when there was a tendency for players to feign injury to waste time, interrupt the flow of the game, throw opponents off their game, etc. and it started to get silly. Players still do that.

The problem for me is that there should be leeway for referees to use the rule effectively, I.e. they should be allowed to leave players they think are exaggerating on the side lines longer, let players who they believe are genuinely injured back on the pitch ASAP, even if that is before the game has restarted. If faking injuries means you are down to 10 men for a couple of minutes, perhaps it would reduce the feigning a bit more.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The idea behind it is right. It came in when there was a tendency for players to feign injury to waste time, interrupt the flow of the game, throw opponents off their game, etc. and it started to get silly. Players still do that.

The problem for me is that there should be leeway for referees to use the rule effectively, I.e. they should be allowed to leave players they think are exaggerating on the side lines longer, let players who they believe are genuinely injured back on the pitch ASAP, even if that is before the game has restarted. If faking injuries means you are down to 10 men for a couple of minutes, perhaps it would reduce the feigning a bit more.
But they only have to go off if the trainer's been called on and if the side's been given a free kick surely they shouldn't be punished by being forced down to ten men.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But they only have to go off if the trainer's been called on and if the side's been given a free kick surely they shouldn't be punished by being forced down to ten men.

I don't claim it's flawless, but something needed to be done about the increased feigning of injuries. I'm not sure what other way you can allow treatment in case it is genuine, yet still take efforts to reduce feigned injuries that doesn't have some flaw, beyond doing what I suggested with leeway for refs to minimise or maximise time on the side lines.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He incensed me from the start when he booked Greer after about 2 mins for a nothing foul but let other worse challenges by their players go unpunished.

Not true. I'm afraid GG deserved his booking, He knew exactly what he was doing, and 'took one for the team'.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
It was the ref who made the decision on how long was added. Around the eighty ninth minute when the ball was out of play he signalled to the fourth official, three minutes by showing three fingures down by his side, to which the fourth official replied with the same signal. Soon after he displayed the three minutes on his board.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
You mean the incident where the player got in behind and Greer grabbed him with one arm round his waist and the other over his shoulder and pulled him back, 'taking one for the team'? That was a yellow card all day long. No one can complain about it.

Spot on, lost count of the amount of times I was fighting that corner on Saturday. Blatant foul and really quite smart refereeing, get an early justified yellow out there and place a marker for the rest of the game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the only way you will stop players going down injured is by making a rule that if a player goes down and the game has to be stopped they must leave the field after treatment and not return for a given time eg 2 or 5 mins players would then only go down if injured rather than as a tactical ploy, and it would not affect any player with a serious injury.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think that the only way you will stop players going down injured is by making a rule that if a player goes down and the game has to be stopped they must leave the field after treatment and not return for a given time eg 2 or 5 mins players would then only go down if injured rather than as a tactical ploy, and it would not affect any player with a serious injury.

How would that not affect any player with a serious injury?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How would that not affect any player with a serious injury?

I imagine his suggestion is that if the player was genuinely injured, then he would actually need to be off for the allotted time anyway, recieving treatment - thus imposing that minimum period would not be penalising them. I think.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I imagine his suggestion is that if the player was genuinely injured, then he would actually need to be off for the allotted time anyway, recieving treatment - thus imposing that minimum period would not be penalising them. I think.

Ok. What about when they don't need the full allotted time for treatment?

When you consider most matches only have about three minutes added time to compensate for all the injuries, goals and substitutions, the average treatment time can't be that long, so even making them stand aside for two minutes would be longer than necessary. If you reduce it much beyond that, where is the deterrence? A few seconds on the sideline, but you managed to get the match stopped and the flow of the game interrupted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Glad somebody realized but how many times does a ref stop a game when a player is apparently near to death for them to get up as if the have been resurrected from the dead by JC. These are the ones that we have to overcome for the good of the game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here