Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inigo Calderon - Player of The Season, but no new contract (yet) ??

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Controversial opinion but I think the same about Ankergren - I saw him at a DS game once always talking to the back four pointing and helping with positioning. Say what you want about Kaspers ability towards the end of his career as a person Kasper is a fantastic role model.

Also I will consider refunding my ST if Calde isn't here. He's the first player EVER i'd consider getting on the back of my shirt. Even if he left.

I think Casper has been a credit to this club, as he's willing to stay as third choice keeper, and, as you say, has been helping out.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Controversial opinion but I think the same about Ankergren - I saw him at a DS game once always talking to the back four pointing and helping with positioning. Say what you want about Kaspers ability towards the end of his career as a person Kasper is a fantastic role model.

Also I will consider refunding my ST if Calde isn't here. He's the first player EVER i'd consider getting on the back of my shirt. Even if he left.

I agree, Nathan Jones calls him "old timer" at training

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
If Hughton doesn't want him in the squad, he should be given a job with AITC imo. He has done so much work with them voluntarily.

A friend who works at the club told me that if there is ever anything to do in the community or fan based, Calde is always the first to offer his time.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Adam Virgo on Calderon in The Argus thinks no...

“It's a difficult one with him, because the club have got to get it right on the pitch and forget about sentiment.
“He is a massive fans’ favourite. Do I think his performances over the course of the season warrant a new contract? Probably not. Does he deserve one for everything he has done for the club? Yes.
“I think he is struggling with his fitness playing out wide right now. I think they have got to be quite ruthless this summer and do what is best for the club, not necessarily for the individual.”
“I’m for having some experienced players around you. Calde will be thinking ‘[Bruno and Greer] have been given an extra year, I deserve one too’.
“The other side of it is if they have got a right-back in mind who is at a good age and could bring more to the team then I think Calde is in trouble. Bruno offers more overall at right-back and in midfield.”

via http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/12901690.Calderon_is_Albion_fans__No_1/

Pretty much my view, hard to argue with any of that. His time has come sad but inevitable. I would very much like them to offer him a coaching role though...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not all members of a 24-26 man squad will be first teamers.

Calde is a perfect squad member for the next 1-2 years, and younger than Bruno.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
Maybe if we are singing his name more than usual at the game Saturday someone might take notice. Personally I don't care if he's playing next season or not, I do agree with most that he is a very versatile sub to have available and would be happy if he was.
I just want the him kept within the club in so capacity.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Our joint longest serving player, we should repay his loyalty by renewing his contract, if for no other reason.

Let Bruno go, and bring in another right back this summer.

...and help Calde get his coaching badges!
Load of bollocks....He is getting on and it's not about being charitable...Its about building a squad that's good end of.
Calderon and bruno need to be released as they're both not good enough anymore although caldy could take another role at the club.
Offering greer,bruno and caldy contracts shows that we don't have ambition to progress as all three are getting worse full stop.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I can easily acknowledge that Calde may, in the harsh light of day, have a wage that could be better spent season.

That said, the lack of loyalty is always mentioned as a main source of dislike in the modern game, usually by fans regarding the willingness of players to disappear when a better option turns up. It would therefore be immensely hypocritical for me to not believe he should be rewarded with another contract as a reward for his loyalty.

As a closing note, he's a glorious human being and we would sorely miss his swarthy good looks and all round decency. May Calde remain forever.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Halford was really poor at Wigan and very lucky not to get sent off for constant dissent. I'd take Calde any day of the week over Halford.

Halford was also woeful vs Reading at the Mad-Jet-Ski.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Would be completely the wrong decision to release him imo. Even if he only held down a spot on the bench he can cover both full back positions, central defence and midfield. Injuries and suspensions are inevitable and who knows which players may suddenly become "unsettled" at the behest of their agents in the face of a tapping up? Apart from all that, he is the total antithesis to everything that is wrong with modern football and must add value to the dressing room, regardless of his perfectly acceptable playing contribution.

Top post and spot on mate!

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
So Calderon isn't quick enough...... Blah blah blah

So someone please tell me exactly when he has let the team down, caused us to concede goals or shown less effort or a good attitude more than Stockdale, Bruno, Greer, Dunk, Bennett, JFC, Best, Lua Lua, Holla, Gardener etc etc.

None of them have shown anything like the commitment, skill or made such a positive contribution in the League. If Calde isn't good enough, then none of this lot and a few others, aren't either.

One more year as a player, even if that is as a bench warmer, because he can come on a do a job anywhere. The year after, as part of the Coaching Team.

A signing before the match and unveiling him on the Club Legend Wall on Saturday please - after this season both he and we deserve it!

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Watch until the end...is that a hint from upstairs?

(apols if fixtures)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here