Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inigo Calderon - Player of The Season, but no new contract (yet) ??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All available resources need to be targeted at signing :

2 strikers
1 winger
1 ATM
1 central defender
1 left back

before we even think about signing a new right back this summer.

Bring him back next year, Tony.
If the club signed an ATM it would still be more mobile than Kemy.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
"I was thinking about going to Blackburn to cheer on Rovers. "

Legend. Only contracted for 2 more games.

It's a disgrace he has no new deal.

Such an easy thing for the club to sort out, and much needed good PR.

A legend indeed. Certainly a disgrace. But after the goings-on up to and after the sacking of Gus the club clearly doesn't give a shit about PR!!

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Would be completely the wrong decision to release him imo. Even if he only held down a spot on the bench he can cover both full back positions, central defence and midfield. Injuries and suspensions are inevitable and who knows which players may suddenly become "unsettled" at the behest of their agents in the face of a tapping up? Apart from all that, he is the total antithesis to everything that is wrong with modern football and must add value to the dressing room, regardless of his perfectly acceptable playing contribution.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that he is good or consistent enough to be a first team first choice. I would either give him a 1 year extention to his contract or sign Halford as the versatile utility man on the bench, not both. Neither are good enough as first choice if we have ambition of play offs or thereabouts

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I do not think that he is good or consistent enough to be a first team first choice. I would either give him a 1 year extention to his contract or sign Halford as the versatile utility man on the bench, not both. Neither are good enough as first choice if we have ambition of play offs or thereabouts

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, unless of course you mean next season's L1 play-offs......

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Would be completely the wrong decision to release him imo. Even if he only held down a spot on the bench he can cover both full back positions, central defence and midfield. Injuries and suspensions are inevitable and who knows which players may suddenly become "unsettled" at the behest of their agents in the face of a tapping up? Apart from all that, he is the total antithesis to everything that is wrong with modern football and must add value to the dressing room, regardless of his perfectly acceptable playing contribution.

Absolutely spot on.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
He needs an attractive role at the club to be offered IMMEDIATELY...

It should be in the squad for another year (even as a versatile bench warmer)
If not in the team, then coaching/academy.

If anyone bleeds blue & white, its Calde. As a club, we should be working with him for his badges and then bringing him back through coaching to be a future manager.

For all the other threads arguing about turn over of our managers, if we appointed Calde, he would make Eddie Howe look like some "here today, gone tomorrow" cowboy.

Then, when he retires from managing, he needs to be given a prominent role at AITC.

[When was the last time that Player of the Season didn't mean the end of that player's career with us?]

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
If Hughton doesn't want him in the squad, he should be given a job with AITC imo. He has done so much work with them voluntarily.

He will probably drop down to L1 and earn more cash playing than at AITC. Assuming he wants to carry on playing. I do however one day expect to see him back at the Albion as Manager.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
[When was the last time that Player of the Season didn't mean the end of that player's career with us?]

Liam Bridcutt won it two seasons in a row so it wasn't that long ago, admittedly he ****ed off to Sunderland not long after winning the second.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I would definitely give Calde a one year deal and earmark him as a bench player.

Something that is probably missed by a lot of fans is the benefit of him being on the bench. From where we are in the NS you can see him coaching the players for most of the second half while pretending to be warming up and this must be a great help to the manager who is stuck in the technical area.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To not give him a one year deal leading into a coaching role would be nuts. The guy is a total legend and totally committed to the club.

He embodies everything that we have missed this season, flair, passion, enthusiasm, drive. Whether he is good enough to hold down a first team place or not he is certainly someone you should have around the squad, as a fringe player or coach.

Would rather see him on the touchline than many we have seen this season.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I should also add he is the one player I like, he is the one player I think is connected with the club, there are others who edge towards this but not many.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
For me it's a no brainer, 1yr contract. He can cover any position in the back 4 and let's face the truth he's been asked to play in a position we've not seen him in before and has been really the only one in m/f who's got into the box and without his goals we'd probaly be looking at L1 by now. Nobody's saying he should be a starter bbut his passion will be missed and when the injuries come who will we have to cover?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Anyone would want to keep him. As has been said above, his presence in the dressing room must be a big plus. I can only guess that they may want to confirm Championship survival first. The wage bill in Lg 1 might be an issue

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Something that is probably missed by a lot of fans is the benefit of him being on the bench. From where we are in the NS you can see him coaching the players for most of the second half while pretending to be warming up and this must be a great help to the manager who is stuck in the technical area.

Controversial opinion but I think the same about Ankergren - I saw him at a DS game once always talking to the back four pointing and helping with positioning. Say what you want about Kaspers ability towards the end of his career as a person Kasper is a fantastic role model.

Also I will consider refunding my ST if Calde isn't here. He's the first player EVER i'd consider getting on the back of my shirt. Even if he left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here