Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Limiting myself to five Sarah picks:

Pristine Christine - Sea Urchins
I Don't Think It Matters - Brighter
You Should All Be Murdered - Another Sunny Day
Blue Light - The Orchids
If You Need Someone - Field Mice

I'm assuming that you are male .......... in which case may I just say that If my brother in law was not such a fine fellow and Alistair Cook wasn't spoken for you could F*** my sister

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Does anyone remember 'The Apple Orchard?' They were Sunday night indie gigs at the Escape and we used to go whoever was on. It cost £3-4 and they gave you an apple on the way in. If I remember correctly, we saw The Weddoes, PWEI, The Pastels, Flatmates, Soup Dragons, Bob, Voice of the Beehive, and loads more. One Sunday we turned up to be told that the gig had been rearranged as the band couldn't make it down to Brighton until midweek. We spent all our money on the pier and didn't go back. Oh well, who wanted to see the Stone Roses anyway?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
but at least you got a free apple

"Emma's house is empty" - that's pathos for me. Blueboy: Air France. Lovely song. I'm just throwing titles around now. Worst Sarah Records track? Not keen on that Shelley single - really cringeworthy fourth-form lyrics that have surely come back to haunt the writer. Tramway: quite average. Saropoly game: not brilliant either. Would be embarrassed to play in the Amex concourse area, certainly.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
the most perfect.est Sarah records song of all time is of course

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Does anyone remember 'The Apple Orchard?' They were Sunday night indie gigs at the Escape and we used to go whoever was on. It cost £3-4 and they gave you an apple on the way in. If I remember correctly, we saw The Weddoes, PWEI, The Pastels, Flatmates, Soup Dragons, Bob, Voice of the Beehive, and loads more. One Sunday we turned up to be told that the gig had been rearranged as the band couldn't make it down to Brighton until midweek. We spent all our money on the pier and didn't go back. Oh well, who wanted to see the Stone Roses anyway?

You would have quite liked the guitars, but thought they could do with a decent singer. Ian Brown is an enigma to me: recorded voice of an angel, live voice flatter than a fenland pancake.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You would have quite liked the guitars, but thought they could do with a decent singer. Ian Brown is an enigma to me: recorded voice of an angel, live voice flatter than a fenland pancake.

They were not really about the singing though, were they? It never mattered that Brown can't hold a note. Attitude, energy, zeitgeist.

They were the next stage on my journey - quite an obvious prgression really, from C86, to the Roses, what with the guitars and that. As the music world went mental for Madchester, they were the obvious choice for your C86 kids, rather than all the baggy nonsense peddled by the Mondays, etc!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
They were not really about the singing though, were they? It never mattered that Brown can't hold a note. Attitude, energy, zeitgeist.

They were the next stage on my journey - quite an obvious prgression really, from C86, to the Roses, what with the guitars and that. As the music world went mental for Madchester, they were the obvious choice for your C86 kids, rather than all the baggy nonsense peddled by the Mondays, etc!

True. My route was roughly C86/Sarah Records - MBV/Stone Roses/Pixies/Ride - Pavement/Slowdive/Chapterhouse/Lemonheads, obviously with loads more chucked in at the sides, plus hardy perennials like Thwe Smiths, The Cure, New Order, Cocteau Twins. Like the Soup Dragons, I also had my "dance element" side: Warp records, Chicago house, which has narrowed down now to a tiny trickle - Boards of Canada, Daft Punk and not much more.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Another thing I remember with great affection is 'Turn It Up' on Radio Sussex. Knowing little more than Gigantic, I went to see The Pixies at the Suite because the presenters were so excited that they were coming to town: One of the best gigs I've ever seen. As was the Wedding Present at the Turn It Up Xmas Party at the Pavilion (1987?)

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I took some photos at the Apple Orchard McCarthy gig at the Escape all those years ago. Must find them.

Also did you people listen to Turn It Up on Radio Sussex? Is Mike Bradshaw on here?

BANG JINX!!! stato! haha.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
True. My route was roughly C86/Sarah Records - MBV/Stone Roses/Pixies/Ride - Pavement/Slowdive/Chapterhouse/Lemonheads, obviously with loads more chucked in at the sides, plus hardy perennials like Thwe Smiths, The Cure, New Order, Cocteau Twins. .

Similar. From Smiths / Cure / C86 as a Brighton sixth-former, then moved up to Liverpool to college in 1989, with the music scene in the NW in very rude health and influences from a whole new group of mates from around the country. More jangly guitars - House of Love, Wedding Present, Roses, more Smiths, and some diversions - Pixies, really big on The Wonderstuff for a time, Carter USM, Dinosaur Jr...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
"Emma's house is empty" - that's pathos for me. Blueboy: Air France. Lovely song. I'm just throwing titles around now. Worst Sarah Records track? Not keen on that Shelley single - really cringeworthy fourth-form lyrics that have surely come back to haunt the writer. Tramway: quite average. Saropoly game: not brilliant either. Would be embarrassed to play in the Amex concourse area, certainly.

I've largely agreed with your choices so far, but Blueboy? Could never really see the point of them. Shelley were dreadful, I agree.

I thought the Poppyheads single was a bit of a negelcted classic, as was their preceding flexi on Sha La La. Worst backing vocals ever.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

I liked the computer bits and bobs stuck on the walls

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've largely agreed with your choices so far, but Blueboy?

I agree that they are slightly different, with a raffish air, trying to be elegant. I tend to like their more lively songs - Pop Kiss, Imipramine. Don't think I have any of their post-Sarah stuff, so maybe there's a bit of label loyalty thrown in, plus I saw them play when I lived in France and talked to them (and Clare Wadd) after the gig and watched them writing the last ever song to be recorded on Sarah, so there's a bit of sentimentality in there as well. Their singles tend to be expensive on eBay as well. RIP lead singer Keith, Eastbourne social worker.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
this is the bestest thread the internet has ever had

And one of the more expensive. that's another few quid gone..

tbc.jpg

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
my copy of the 'The Field Mice, Snowball' has 'snowball' scratched onto it in letraset applied by own fair cack-hand when I was a mere 18 years old and sporting a ridiculous fringe.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports