Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All 3 McCarthy albums are worthwhile - their third's probably their best. There's also a singles/ sessions compilation which is quite hard to get hold of now I think. I've got mp3s of them all plus a few live tapes if Tinycowboy can't oblige you.

Never really rated the Brilliant Corners except for the odd song.

To be honest, the process of falling for a band, doesn't always have anything to do with how technically good they are, does it?

I was about 17 when I got taken to see TBC and it was the first proper gig I'd ever been to. Their energy was fantastic, and I left there wanting to BE Davey Woodward.

The lyrics of Teenage and Why Do You Have To Go Out With Him, summed up my life at the time, all unrequited love and angst!

I'd like to take you out
But you, you tell me no
To hold you in my arms
And to kiss you sweetly
Oh so sweetly

I'd like to make your bed
And bring you cups of tea
To wash your clothes
And scrub your back
But you won't let me
You won't let me

Nothing ever happens
And I guess it never will
And a young boy's passions
Can make you very ill...

Having grown up hearing nonsense American music on the radio, and songs about California, and spacemen, and big stuff, it struck a massive chord to discover there were actually people making music and writing songs about real life.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
There was also a compilation called 'Take the subway to your suburbs' featuring The Chesterfields, Rosehips & PWEI

On Subway Organization - Martin from the Flatmates' label. That album has the obscure classic Get out of my dream by The Clouds, which is also on both of the C86 comps mentioned earlier. Don't think The Clouds released many songs at all.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The Clouds - "Get Out Of My Dreams" is an all time classic, but I think this is even better:

(Play loud as it's taken from a flexi disc.)

For a band who didn't release much, they had some mighty (mighty) tunes.

I think i've got this on the flexidisc - a split with Mighty Mighty. Maybe came with a magazine?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I think i've got this on the flexidisc - a split with Mighty Mighty. Maybe came with a magazine?

It was on one of the Scared To Get Happy fanzines which later morphed into Sarah Records. There was also a Janice Long session which floats about on tape, making a grand total of (I think) 7 Clouds songs.

I was present at a notorious Clouds gig at York University in 1987. To quote from the Flatmates site:

"We shared a minibus to York with The Brilliant Corners who were also on the bill. The Clouds were first on at York University in probably the best ever gig I saw them play. The Gallaghers have nothing on John and Bill Charnley on top form. By the end of the gig, John was almost crawling around the stage. He picked up a litre bottle of cider, unscrewed the cap and tipped the contents into the airhole on the front of a monitor cabinet. The soundman freaked out as he realised what was happening, but by the time he’d run from the back of the hall to the stage, the last drop of cider had trickled into the cabinet. As well as having some of the best tunes of any band around at the time they were like a malevolent spirit released from its box. At the York gig they taunted the elderly security guard by smashing bottles in the corridor behind the stage and shouting to the guard - "Those kids did it, they went that way…" He fell for it several times before rumbling them. Earlier that year when the Clouds supported The Chesterfields at Bath University they’d pissed against the wall of the dressing room. On the Chesterfields tour they put a concrete breeze block through a supermarket window and robbed the drink department. Ask Norman Blake of Teenage Fan Club about that one. He was their guitarist at the time. It was somehow typical of The Clouds that having a choice of fine whiskies or champagne to steal, they took 2 litre bottles of cheap bitter. We finished our set, and Joel’s debut, with such a crush at the front of the stage that the University promoters erected the crash barriers before sets by Mighty Mighty and finally the Brilliant Corners. We returned to our dressing room, which was next door to The Clouds dressing room, only to find it was missing a door and the remainder of our rider. No prizes for guessing who’d done it. Later we found their bass player, the latest of several, sitting in their van. Apparently named Scott Walker, he told us he wanted to leave The Clouds but was afraid to as the others had threatened to beat him up if he did. Now that’s a good technique for ensuring a band stays together."

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
What a great thread this has become.
I only ever had the first McCarthy album. They were a great band though.
Looking at the original C86 album out of the 22 bands only 4 survive- I am happy to be proved to be wrong- They are The Wedding Present, Half Man Half Biscuit, The Pastels and a very different sounding Primal Scream.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Looking at the original C86 album out of the 22 bands only 4 survive- I am happy to be proved to be wrong- They are The Wedding Present, Half Man Half Biscuit, The Pastels and a very different sounding Primal Scream.

Honestly, get yourself a copy of "Banking, Violence And The Inner Life Today". Fantastic record, sort of half way house between McCarthy and Stereolab.

The Wolfhounds played a few gigs recently, and so did Mighty Mighty, so that makes 6?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Honestly, get yourself a copy of "Banking, Violence And The Inner Life Today". Fantastic record, sort of half way house between McCarthy and Stereolab.

The Wolfhounds played a few gigs recently, and so did Mighty Mighty, so that makes 6?

I knew I would be wrong!!

Thanks for the recommendation.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Generally a worse-sounding Primal Scream. From pop perfection to gash very quickly as the backlash against thoughtfulness and melody kicked in - Primal Scream soon abandoned the ship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here