In the words of Tommy Fraser...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Micky barely played him compared to Russell so I can't imagine he promised a new contract. Anyway, my opinions are:

1) No way was any player told there was a "deal on the table" prior to the day they all got released. It would be totally pointless and unprofessional.

2) If Fraser is that "f***ed off," he should have done a bit more on the pitch while he was here in order to make it impossible for us not to keep him.

3) The need by some to whip up some controversy here is uncalled for. Facts of the matter are that a local lad tried his best but ultimately wasn't close to being good enough. It happens up and down the country to hundreds of players. No need to make out Fraser is bitter about it.

4) If he really has got an offer from Palace then he should sign it. He won't get anything else nearly as good, so if this contract exists it'll be signed. And anyone who says he's wrong to do so is an idiot.

Yes but the club has in the past done sillys things - ie - let a manager release players and 2 days later sack the manager

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes but the club has in the past done sillys things - ie - let a manager release players and 2 days later sack the manager

Well I'd have to agree 100% with you on that.

Complete Badger has his head in the sand as usual.

Releasing a couple of players then suddenly giving them contracts, ..... well bizarre in the extreme.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
And how do the actions of a different manager and a different chairman a YEAR ago have a bearing on what Russell Slade has or hasn't promised this year?

How have I got my head in the sand? I just don't believe that it would have been in anyone's interests to tell a player he has a new deal and then withdraw the offer.

You're right it wouldn't be in anyone's interest.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Whether Fraser was or wasn't promised a contract is irrelevant really. He is upset that he has been released and he still would have been upset if he was realeased without being promised a contract. In my opinion he is simply angry with the club for letting him go and that is totally understandable, it would be the same with many people in many walks of life.

As TCB says if he has got a contract offer from Palace then he should sign. Russell clearly didn't think that Fraser was in his plans and as the manager that is his perogrative. This football club is, and always will be, bigger than any individual.

D

Deleted User X18H

"Brighton f***ed me off,They told me I was getting a new contract, I have an offer on the table from Palace and a couple of other clubs." He told some guys at the cricket today.

Quite a few Brighton players in the stand today Elphick, virgo and then an astonishing amount of X players, Fraser, Chamberlain, Brencher, Royce, Gatting...

Great game and great win for Sussex with Nash getting man of the match and a quality game all round from Dwayne Smith. Returning to the above I do feel sorry for the player but he wasn't going to take us forward and the fact he has a supposed offer from Palace is surprising, I cant help feel its just a lie to get people to F off.
You don't think current Sussex player Joe Gatting might just might have got them all tickets do you? Astonishing indeed!!!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Whether Fraser was or wasn't promised a contract is irrelevant really. He is upset that he has been released and he still would have been upset if he was realeased without being promised a contract. In my opinion he is simply angry with the club for letting him go and that is totally understandable, it would be the same with many people in many walks of life.

As TCB says if he has got a contract offer from Palace then he should sign. Russell clearly didn't think that Fraser was in his plans and as the manager that is his perogrative. This football club is, and always will be, bigger than any individual.

Can't argue with that... Fraser 'stating' the Palace offer smacks of *coughs*bullshit*coughs* in a bid to gain some extra sympathy. I think many fans sympathise with him anyway though.
Let's be fair, he fibbed through his back teeth trying to claim a 'goal' which was never ever his during the Hartlepool home cup match :lolol:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If our goal is promotion then he wouldn't have got many games.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Can't be doing anyone any good having what seems to be a highly disaffected ex-player hanging around with members of the current squad, but unavoidable I guess.

Dougdeep - do you know what you like and like what you know?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Im sure what peoples problem was with him, everytime I saw him he was solid enough and would have made a good squad player in the Hart mould. He is a much better player than El Abd who somehow gets games despite endless errors.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
And how do the actions of a different manager and a different chairman a YEAR ago have a bearing on what Russell Slade has or hasn't promised this year?

How have I got my head in the sand? I just don't believe that it would have been in anyone's interests to tell a player he has a new deal and then withdraw the offer.

It wouldnt have been but it does happen to better players than Fraser.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I spoke to an Albion director in the week, who was very circumspect. However, he confirmed that the club are trying to eradicate the drinking culture. What's wrong with that? Drink or no drink Fraser is a conference player. If we are serious about championship football, there is no future for players so lacking in technical ability at The Albion. Wearing your heart on your sleve alone is no longer enough. Does anyone seriously think that Palace are on the look out for conference players?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If our goal is promotion then he wouldn't have got many games.

Hard to disagree with you.

I never really rated Fraser, but he definitely improved as the season progressed and when he was given a run of games during those last 6-7 games..........it was promotion form, points wise.

Thought it was an odd decision to release him.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I spoke to an Albion director in the week, who was very circumspect. However, he confirmed that the club are trying to eradicate the drinking culture. What's wrong with that? Drink or no drink Fraser is a conference player. If we are serious about championship football, there is no future for players so lacking in technical ability at The Albion. Wearing your heart on your sleve alone is no longer enough. Does anyone seriously think that Palace are on the look out for conference players?

They were all on the beers last night!

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
"Brighton f***ed me off,They told me I was getting a new contract, I have an offer on the table from Palace and a couple of other clubs." He told some guys at the cricket today.

I guess this may be true depending on when everyone knew about Bloom coming in. If there was little money available to buy players, we may well have given him the impression he was going to get a contract as he would be a useful squad player if we were looking to consolidate this season.

However, once we knew about TB coming in, perhaps the likes of Tommy Fraser, Doug Loft, John Sullivan, Hinsh etc. were no longer in our plans for promotion to the Championship and beyond...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports