Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In retrospect

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I did mean Premier League as it does seem to be completely different to all the other leagues. The pace is fecking terrifying off the back of two games and we are nowhere near up to speed yet. Neither are our foreign imports who have also played top level football but not like it's played here.

Defoe is 35 in October. Not quite as pacey as he once was.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I did mean Premier League as it does seem to be completely different to all the other leagues. The pace is fecking terrifying off the back of two games and we are nowhere near up to speed yet.

It's also full of spaniards and others who have played in La Liga so shouldn't be completely alien to TH.

Whether you think he's up to it or not is a different issue , I'm guessing you want rid.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The way we have set up and played in our three competitive games to date would suggest that even if we had Suarez playing up top we couldn't get the ball to him!

That is exactly what I said but used Diego Costa as rhe example but people took it to mean I was suggesting signing him, which I wasnt

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My concern would be injuries. He's 34! Quite likely he'll be crooked for a large % of season and at £3.7 million per week wages (or whatever stupid money he's on) that's a huge risk unless you've money to burn as an oligarch has. Which plucky Bournemouth do obviously. We don't.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
That is exactly what I said but used Diego Costa as rhe example but people took it to mean I was suggesting signing him, which I wasnt
If you say something a little daft (which you have form for) there is no harm in just admitting it [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's also full of spaniards and others who have played in La Liga so shouldn't be completely alien to TH.

Whether you think he's up to it or not is a different issue , I'm guessing you want rid.

Nope if he is happy to be a squad player I am happy for him to stay. I don't really want to get rid of anyone, they've all done enough to deserve a crack but maybe not as first choice players. The last two years were that special, that we should allow a bit of sentiment imo.

Have to say i was delighted to see Goldson looking so classy after being out so long, we will need him this year. Hope we don't loan him out.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I suspect that he isn't on anywhere close to that amount. Probably around £60k a week.

I agree that it would have been a gamble but then so are all new players. If someone can get the ball through to him, he will score.

Definitely but new players would be on a good chunk less.

I get the distinct impression that all of our signings have been made with the very real possibility of relegation in mind and, honestly, that's fine with me. Would rather we don't overspend and find ourselves in a pickle should we head back down.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
There is a good chance but no guarantee of a goalscorer as we could go to Chelsea and pay his wages and take Diego Costa on loan until Christmas before they sell him to Athletico Madrid but if we cannot get the ball to him quick enough he wouldnt score goals and he is as certain to as anybody.

:wozza:

On topic, no.

Far better players out there if we were prepared to pay that kind of salary.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No. Because if we had offered the same as Bournemouth he would have gone there as they are a more established top flight team and, as such, are more likely to stay up. We would have had to overpay for him to tempt him away from the other clubs he had offers from.
That is a very very slippery slope to go down. I can not belive people on here are suggesting risking the future of the club after what we have been through! After just 2 games in premier league people are suddenly all "yeah throw cash at the squad. **** sustainability and the clubs future, spend spend spend".

Not sure if that little rant is aimed at me? It was just a question not a statement of what we should have done :shrug:

Not sure I've made a single post suggesting that we need to spend spend spend. I imagine Defoe is costing Bournemouth less than some of our signings, seeing as he was a free.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No.

Wait to be proved (badly) wrong, but think the downward spiral has just begun in terms of goals.

Despite Bournemouth playing attacking football and creating chances, I still think the return will be less than when he was in what is a vastly inferior team in Sunderland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nobody is suggesting we would sign Costa just COULD and it still isnt a guarantee of him scoring if we cant get the ball to him.:ffsparr:

We couldn't. Apart from EVERYTHING else, we've already got a Chelsea player on loan and clubs can't have more than that.

el punal

Should we have tried to sign Jermain Defoe?

From my standpoint it was a big no early in the close season but seeing how much we are spending on unproven players, it might have been an idea to have at least one with good Premier League experience. The wages might have been a problem with the squad but no transfer fee would have been good?

Blimey mate - In Retrospect! We've only played 2 games and another 36 Premier League matches to go. Climb into the time machine find out where we are in January and then come back and let us know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here