Immigrants must wait for "years" before entitlement to public housing...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D

Deleted member 22389

I don't think so. Fairly sure you have to have worked in the country where you're claiming.

Be good to find out exactly what happens here. For example in this time I need to visit the hospital. They can't refuse me treatment, but who pays for this treatment. Is it the UK tax payer, or do the NHS bill the romanian government for my treatment.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Be good to find out exactly what happens here. For example in this time I need to visit the hospital. They can't refuse me treatment, but who pays for this treatment. Is it the UK tax payer, or do the NHS bill the romanian government for my treatment.

NHS pays. You'd get the same in other EU countries.

D

Deleted member 22389

NHS pays. You'd get the same in other EU countries.

That part seems fair enough to me. It becomes unfair when the number of people coming, is more than the number of people going out, because that then costs the NHS more money to treat people.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Conservative government does everyone a dis-service. They need to acknowledge the true figures, then we can start to resolve the problem, if there is one. Then we can start to get shot of those that shouldn't be here. Rather than the Tories trying to focus our anger away from themselves. Anyway, Cameron's latest "crackdown" on immigrants is purely to try and reclaim the votes he's lost to UKIP, as he did with the EU "referendum". It's all pandering to the Daily Mail brigade, and it's all so transparent.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The Conservative government does everyone a dis-service. They need to acknowledge the true figures, then we can start to resolve the problem, if there is one. Then we can start to get shot of those that shouldn't be here. Rather than the Tories trying to focus our anger away from themselves. Anyway, Cameron's latest "crackdown" on immigrants is purely to try and reclaim the votes he's lost to UKIP, as he did with the EU "referendum". It's all pandering to the Daily Mail brigade, and it's all so transparent.

The Lib Dems and Labour are eager to join them in the race to the lowest common denominator though.

D

Deleted member 22389

Your right priority should be getting rid of the people who shouldn't be here. They estimate 300,000 people. I reckon it is more than that. If they came here illegally then they have no rights to be here.

These will be the people from non eu countries. It's amazing how bad our border systems have been in allowing that many through the back door. Finding these people is another question. How do you do it without being accused of disrimination and all the other rubbish. Well we know how they got here, fake visas, sham marriages. Then we have the Asylum seekers who have dissapeared.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Your right priority should be getting rid of the people who shouldn't be here. They estimate 300,000 people. I reckon it is more than that. If they came here illegally then they have no rights to be here.

These will be the people from non eu countries. It's amazing how bad our border systems have been in allowing that many through the back door. Finding these people is another question. How do you do it without being accused of disrimination and all the other rubbish. Well we know how they go here, bogus colleges, fake visas, sham marriages and managing to skip in to the UK through the ports and airports.

We start by fully closing our borders. First step. Then we issue an statement saying "Terribly sorry, we know some of you have a right to be here but unfortunately some scallywags have ****ed it up for everyone and so we need a couple of years to get shot of some bad apples. Once this is done we will review the situation. In the meantime we intend to spend the money we save on the benefit and housing on improving our NHS, education and public services and we may spend some money giving talented British people the training they need to become doctors and nurses and solicitors. When we have done all this we will see if we need anyone else at which point you can apply to come to work here and we will process you through a rigorous vetting process. And just in case you were still thinking of popping over in the back of a lorry you will be sent back to wherever you came from immediately, ie within the hour. We hope this doesn't inconvenience you only we;d rather spend the money training our own. See yo uin about a decade"

D

Deleted member 22389

We start by fully closing our borders. First step. Then we issue an statement saying "Terribly sorry, we know some of you have a right to be here but unfortunately some scallywags have ****ed it up for everyone and so we need a couple of years to get shot of some bad apples. Once this is done we will review the situation. In the meantime we intend to spend the money we save on the benefit and housing on improving our NHS, education and public services and we may spend some money giving talented British people the training they need to become doctors and nurses and solicitors. When we have done all this we will see if we need anyone else at which point you can apply to come to work here and we will process you through a rigorous vetting process. And just in case you were still thinking of popping over in the back of a lorry you will be sent back to wherever you came from immediately, ie within the hour. We hope this doesn't inconvenience you only we;d rather spend the money training our own. See yo uin about a decade"

Your right. David Cameron is just applying plasters over the problem. It sounded good at the time, but it is nowhere near to solving the problem.
Regardless of EU and NON EU, its all about the numbers coming in, it is still too many when you take in to consideration the state of this country as regards jobs, housing and services.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My wife who is American had been working in this country for four years before I met her and had been paying her tax and national insurance.

When we got married she had just lost her job, and I had to prove that I could afford to pay the rent where we were living and all other costs we had a few interviews, about proof of income and how long we had known each other etc etc (which was actually only 6 months, we lied a little on that one) I had no problem with that and think it is only right.

We have now been married 11 years and have a daughter who has an Amercian and British passport, my wife has now a good job and has taken and passed the citizenship test and even meet the mayor of Brighton at the ceremony (little chubby bloke with a I punched above my weight wife). All is well after difficult tiles struggling to keep afloat a few times and proof you dont need a hand and anyway there was no hand available to us, so head down and get on with it.

So I agree they should not be entitled to public housing.

Funny thing is the wife now works fairly high up in housing regeneration for a London council and the stories I could tell you, would make you so angry and they are not all immigrant related.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
My wife who is American had been working in this country for four years before I met her and had been paying her tax and national insurance.

When we got married she had just lost her job, and I had to prove that I could afford to pay the rent where we were living and all other costs we had a few interviews, about proof of income and how long we had known each other etc etc (which was actually only 6 months, we lied a little on that one) I had no problem with that and think it is only right.

We have now been married 11 years and have a daughter who has an Amercian and British passport, my wife has now a good job and has taken and passed the citizenship test and even meet the mayor of Brighton at the ceremony (little chubby bloke with a I punched above my weight wife). All is well after difficult tiles struggling to keep afloat a few times and proof you dont need a hand and anyway there was no hand available to us, so head down and get on with it.

So I agree they should not be entitled to public housing.

Funny thing is the wife now works fairly high up in housing regeneration for a London council and the stories I could tell you, would make you so angry and they are not all immigrant related.

If they are indiginous ********s, they are our ********s, and we have to deal with them. Just a bitter pill we have to swallow. If they have entered from abroad they need to be funding themselves.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
not even allowed to say a r s e h o l e s? sheeeeeesh

oldboy

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
I live in catford in an ex council house with my wife my daughter and grandaughter. My daughter was offered a b&b all the council flats have gone. Thousands on waiting lists there is nothing we can do the labour party let them all in tories libs just as bad.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I have a dear friend who is a midwife in a major London Hospital. The view from them is that the demographic changes have significantly changed the service they provide because the number of migrant mothers having children has added approximately 25 % era caseload per midwife with no extra resources over the last 2 years. The units are at breaking point across the capital and it is a miracle that maternal and foetal deaths have only increased by 3% over the same period across the capital. There is a developing and potentially high risk problem here. Something's going to have to give.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

“Ending the something for nothing culture needs to apply to immigration as well as welfare.”

Wouldn't it be nice if this applied to banking, taxation for multinationals and politicians too.

Immigrants are expected to pay their way but apparently Apple, Amazon, Starbuck et al aren't.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Given that the article is about the EU threatening to stop the new crackdown. Wouldn't you think that in the interest of decent journalism (or even a slight nod towards balance) the journalist would have included some information about why the EU disagrees with the new crackdown? If they really wanted to present a decent peice of journalism they may have taken the EU reasons and rebutted them one by one.

I am still trying to work out if 10% of council homes going to foreigners is a lot or not as it doesn't really define what it means by foreigners. I am very interested to know how these foreigners manage to jump the queue though.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I live in catford in an ex council house with my wife my daughter and grandaughter. My daughter was offered a b&b all the council flats have gone. Thousands on waiting lists there is nothing we can do the labour party let them all in tories libs just as bad.

Nothing to do with the selling off of council properties then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports