Immigrants must wait for "years" before entitlement to public housing...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I doubt it, not if you are prepared to write of 21 million people on the basis of a few wrong uns that have moved into your area. i met a few Romanians when I was back in the UK in January, wonderful people who were working hard and not picking anybodies pocket. Still that is not going to make me assume that all Romanians are wonderful people because like any large group of people there are good an bad included. To make assumption on 21 million people based on your experience of a few is ridiculous at best and racist at worst

How many Romanians have decended on Geelong in the past few months then? I have a mate on the Transport Police in London..if he wasn't nicking Romanians all day he would be bored. In his words " it's like an invasion of crooks" that'll be that institutionalised racism I suppose.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
How many Romanians have decended on Geelong in the past few months then? I have a mate on the Transport Police in London..if he wasn't nicking Romanians all day he would be bored. In his words " it's like an invasion of crooks" that'll be that institutionalised racism I suppose.

Depends if that was the official line from the London Transport Police, which lets face it, it isn't going to be is it because they are going to be very careful not to say anything that is racist.

But your sample of Romanians has widened so I have to bow to your knowledge as an expert on Romanians and I will let my family know that they should not let their friend in the house as he is Romanian and must be a pickpocket and petty thief.

When they do descend on Geelong I will feel forewarned enough to round up an angry mob armed with quotes from you and your policeman mate and torches and pitchforks and run them out of town.

Maybe you could let me know any other nationalities I should keep away from? I was once beaten up and robbed by a gang of English people, perhaps I should keep away from them (and myself) as well?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Maybe BF...... but WE live here and are privvy to what is going on. As for Geelong, i really could not comment or generalise on your situation.

We have both Romanians and Asylum Seekers over here.

I don't need to be in the UK to know that your generalisations about Asylum Seekers (I assume this is the generalisation you were getting at) and Leighgulls generalisations about Romanians are inaccurate and ridiculous.

You may be able to comment on the situation in Geelong if you had friends and family who live here and Geelong had a wide range of media outlets that you could access. You may even become a member of an internet forum full of information and opinion (many of which should be taken with a pinch of salt) if you so desired. you may have even lived in Geelong for most of your life.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I understand people's concern over immigration but there seems to be a lot of generalisation and ignorance.

Here are some facts:

Asylum:

"About 80 per cent of the world’s asylum seekers live in countries neighbouring the ones they have fled. About 2 per cent of the world’s refugee population live in the UK.

The number of people seeking asylum in the UK peaked in the early 2000s with 84,130 applications (excluding dependants) in 2003. It has remained much lower since this point. In 2010, 17,990 people applied for asylum in the UK.

In the second quarter of 2011, 4,253 initial decisions were made on asylum claims and 70 per cent were refused. 27 per cent of asylum appeals were accepted in this same time period, indicating that in these cases the individuals in question were wrongly refused protection when their asylum claims were initially determined."

Source: URL="http://www.irr.org.uk/research/statistics/asylum/"]http://www.irr.org.uk/research/statistics/asylum/[/URL]

EU immigration and benefits:

"Of the 2 million net migrants to the UK from the eight eastern European countries that joined the EU in 2004, just 13,000 people have claimed jobseeker's allowance (JSA). This figure was not disputed by No 10.

Downing Street also said there had been a 40% increase in the number of social lettings taken up by migrants between 2007-08 and 2011-12. This appeared to gloss over the fact that it was an increase from 6.5% to 9% in the proportion of such lettings."

Source: Downing Street rushes to defend PM's 'unravelling' immigration speech | UK news | The Guardian

For loads more hard stats look here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jun/26/non-eu-immigration-uk-statistics

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I understand people's concern over immigration but there seems to be a lot of generalisation and ignorance.

Here are some facts:

Asylum:

"About 80 per cent of the world’s asylum seekers live in countries neighbouring the ones they have fled. About 2 per cent of the world’s refugee population live in the UK.

The number of people seeking asylum in the UK peaked in the early 2000s with 84,130 applications (excluding dependants) in 2003. It has remained much lower since this point. In 2010, 17,990 people applied for asylum in the UK.

In the second quarter of 2011, 4,253 initial decisions were made on asylum claims and 70 per cent were refused. 27 per cent of asylum appeals were accepted in this same time period, indicating that in these cases the individuals in question were wrongly refused protection when their asylum claims were initially determined."

Source: URL="http://www.irr.org.uk/research/statistics/asylum/"]http://www.irr.org.uk/research/statistics/asylum/[/URL]

"Of the 2 million net migrants to the UK from the eight eastern European countries that joined the EU in 2004, just 13,000 people have claimed jobseeker's allowance (JSA). This figure was not disputed by No 10.

Downing Street also said there had been a 40% increase in the number of social lettings taken up by migrants between 2007-08 and 2011-12. This appeared to gloss over the fact that it was an increase from 6.5% to 9% in the proportion of such lettings."

Source: Downing Street rushes to defend PM's 'unravelling' immigration speech | UK news | The Guardian

For loads more hard stats look here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jun/26/non-eu-immigration-uk-statistics

Thanks for the stats though they are very interesting.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
But aren't 'they' all at it? Or perhaps they don't need to claim benefits because they are too busy pickpocketing and carrying out petty crime.

Thanks for the stats though they are very interesting. Although you will not prove anything by posting links to the Guardian. You will find on here that if it flies in the face of the general ignorance it quickly gets dispelled as 'lefty propaganda' and ignored without a click, let alone any research.

Oh and don't forget you don't live in the UK so no amount of research is going to give you slightest understanding of what is really happening (unless of course you use The Sun or Daily Mail website)

:lolol: Obviously, living abroad does preclude me from having an opinion or providing information. It's better to rely on hearsay and the right wing media. Unfortunately, for some reason the Daily Mail doesn't provide any statistics or facts on immigration. It's very strange. Maybe, a gang of transexual, Romanian gypsies stole them. There are many stories about how The UK is 'swamped' by asylum seekers though so I guess we'll have to trust them.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Here are some facts:

Asylum:

Just one immigrant person claiming any state benefits before significantly contributing to our economy is wrong. Genuine asylum seekers should be helped before they contribute. Can anyone really argue with that if they are being reasonable?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Just one immigrant person claiming any state benefits before significantly contributing to our economy is wrong. Genuine asylum seekers should be helped before they contribute. Can anyone really argue with that if they are being reasonable?

What you're saying is reasonable. What do you mean by 'significantly contributing' though?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
What you're saying is reasonable. What do you mean by 'significantly contributing' though?

They would have to pay taxes for a certain period of time, say arbitrarily, 2 years but even then they cannot claim benefits indefinitely.

D

Deleted member 22389

You should contribute to this system for a minimum of 5 years before claiming any benefits. Nobody seems to be counting the cost of things like schooling, doctors and hospitals all paid for by tax payers years before, who made massive contributions to the system over their working life.

Would we get the same offerings in another country? I very much doubt it unless someone can prove this otherwise. How about this for a solution. Anybody requiring benefits, from the EU gets it paid by their own government at that countries rate, why do we have to pay it, or does our government claim this back?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You should contribute to this system for a minimum of 5 years before claiming any benefits. Nobody seems to be counting the cost of things like schooling, doctors and hospitals all paid for by tax payers years before, who made massive contributions to the system over their working life.

Would we get the same offerings in another country? I very much doubt it unless someone can prove this otherwise. How about this for a solution. Anybody requiring benefits, from the EU gets it paid by their own government at that countries rate, why do we have to pay it, or does our government claim this back?

I'm not sure that all members have a welfare system. I know some have a more generous one than ours but it doesn't seem to be Swedes and Danes who are likely to rock up.

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm not sure that all members have a welfare system. I know some have a more generous one than ours but it doesn't seem to be Swedes and Danes who are likely to rock up.

Getting their own governments to pay for benefits whilst they work in the UK would be a solution to all this. Once they see the type of benefits we pay out for in this country, they would immediately stop it, like we should have done years ago.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Would we get the same offerings in another country? I very much doubt it unless someone can prove this otherwise. How about this for a solution. Anybody requiring benefits, from the EU gets it paid by their own government at that countries rate.

I think within the EU, yes you would. It's a myth that people are turning up and claiming benefits straight away. As far as I know, you can claim JSA from your home country for a limited period whilst living within the EU. I'm fairly sure an EU citizen would then need to have worked in the UK before being entitled to JSA from the UK government (obviously not for anything like the 5 years you suggest, or the 2 years Piersa suggests.)

I'm not 100% certain on any of this. It's surprisingly difficult to find the information.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm sure all members have a welfare system. They're not leaving people to die on the streets of Warsaw.

Some interesting info about the relative welfare expenditure of nations here: http://fullfact.org/factchecks/is_the_uks_welfare_system_the_most_generous_in_europe-27368

Example, I arrive in the UK from Romania Jan 2014. I have been looking for work, after 3 months my money finally runs out.

What I want to understand is what happens to me if I decide to stay in the UK, and I entitled to benefits at this point?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Example, I arrive in the UK from Romania Jan 2014. I have been looking for work, after 3 months my money finally runs out.

What I want to understand is what happens to me if I decide to stay in the UK, and I entitled to benefits at this point?

I don't think so. Fairly sure you have to have worked in the country where you're claiming.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Still can't find any info on when someone's able to start claiming.

Found this graph on migrant and non-migrant claims though:

benefits.png

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/immigration_and_benefits-28846

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports