Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm no accountant.......

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
what the football league needs is a salary cap similar to the nfl. Too many overpaid players killing the game.

The industry is propped up by Sky and wealthy benefactors. Two thirds of all revenue generated goes on players wages and agents fees. Enough money has entered the game from Sky to have guaranteed financial stability throughout the whole football pyramid. It hasn't because the monster called the Premier League eats most of it and then spits out a few scraps to the lower leagues.
A salary cap along the lines of...
PL............£40K per week
Champ......£20k per week
Div 1........£8k per week
Div 2........£5k per week
...would be offset with bonus structures that would boost earnings. Where else in industry do ' results based ' employees get vast basic salaries that negate the need for any further incentivisation?
Going back to the dark ages of football ( for the younger readers...before the Premier League ) players relied on bonuses to make up their money. They were hungry and determined and a win bonus made a difference to their wage packet.
Now it doesn't matter if you win 7-0 ( Man City ) or lose 7-0 ( Norwich )...you still earn your £40k / £80k / £160k per week. Players are cheating more and more and therefore the fans are getting cheated more and more. Players underperform for games on end but still draw their big fat wages. The manager always carries the can but his salary doesn't reflect the total responsibility that his job entails. Players don't train anymore than before for these vast salaries and now we learn that many of them aren't interested in pulling on their national shirt.
Its a runaway train that nobody is prepared to put the brakes on. Why? Because so many others employed and associated with the game have their noses in the trough. When the Chairman of the PFA is earning a lot more than many of his members and is the highest paid union official in the country, is it any wonder there is no desire to change. When some agents can earn more in one lucrative move for their client than most of us will earn in half a working lifetime, is it any wonder that salaries continue to rocket upwards.
The NFL care about their game, about its structure and about trying to level out the playing-field a bit. Football in this country is very selfish. It is an elitist club with just a very few big-hitters and a lot of upstarts, desperately trying to cling on to their shirt-tails. There is no interest in the pyramid. Many fans of the big 4-5 clubs couldn't even tell you what is happening in the other leagues. It doesn't concern them. They are not interested. They will never be in that position themselves. Their future has been guaranteed. Unlike a great many other clubs.
I was asked recently ( and not for the first time ) " What division are Brighton in "...." The Championship "....." What level is that?"....at that point I lost the will to live and realised how insular our game has become.
Back to salaries.....oh f--k it, I've run out of steam....rant over.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think there would be a lot of players in Leagues 1 & 2 who would love to earn £8K & £5K respectively.

I think agents are a lot to blame. They take a lot out of football without putting anything back in.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why should anyone be subject to a salary cap? It doesn't operate in most other industries, and is also relatively easy to circumnavigate. It's not as if the players will waste the money

Diouf.jpgCar 2.jpgBallotelli.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't see how football can compare with The NFL.

From the moment kids leave High School and move on to college/university, they are entering a system geared towards polarity.
Sure some teams still manage to come out on top, but that's usually geared towards an exception talent, (usually coach or QB).
There's plenty of constraints around free trade.
The salary cap is still an enormous amount of money, it's not like teams spend all their money on 2 or 3 good players, with nothing left in the pot.
Critically that enormous amount of money is only shared by 32 teams.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If we lost £8m last year I cannot see how we are projected to lose £8m this year. We have increased income this year by having larger crowds due to increased capacity. Also new shirt sponsors which must have increased income. New caterers which boosted income. Perimeter advertising which increases income. Paul Barbers reduction in costs (£2m a year according to TB ). I believe the cost of the perimeter adverting was in last years accounts ( a one off ). If that is the case we must be losing less than £8m unless we have increased costs in other areas substantially

The new shirt sponsors start next season. New caterers started this season. The reductions in cost took place over the summer.

The 8m expected loss is for last season. It just gets announced this season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Last season we started with the East Upper open and South corners. The capacity was about 26k from the off. The average attendance was just over 26k, which is approx a 25% increase so we can expect the ticketing income to have increased to around 10 million.

When are the 12/13 accounts due out; is it next month?

Fair enough, I remembered it being later than that. Still, as el pres pointed out, we also signed upson, bridge, kuszczak and ulloa who would have all been on a fair whack, that would come close to balancing out the extra 4k(?) seats.

Finances have to be filed by December 1st. I don't know if they become public then or not, last time the finances became public in march/April time, but we were already aware of the 8m losses because it had been revealed by the club around Christmas I think.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The new shirt sponsors start next season. New caterers started this season. The reductions in cost took place over the summer.

The 8m expected loss is for last season. It just gets announced this season.

That and larger capacity = more staff needed = higher staffing costs.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I wouldn't worry about answering the cat bloke. He is an armchair fan that puts no money into the Albion and constantly moans about the club. Waste of air!

67 YEARS OLD
been a fan for 52 years
paying fan upto the Withers years
armchair maybe because because I am disabled

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That and larger capacity = more staff needed = higher staffing costs.
Unless we were over staffed in the beginning and have now found the right balance.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think there would be a lot of players in Leagues 1 & 2 who would love to earn £8K & £5K respectively.

I think agents are a lot to blame. They take a lot out of football without putting anything back in.

Bad agents, bad owners, bad players, bad coaches are all bad for the game, but good agents are a critical part of the game.

Players require sound advice, support and opportunity something that agents can offer, if a club has a budget just factor in any likely agent costs and there shouldn't be a problem.

Any salary cap will only become reality once all owners are billionaires ( or at least have financial parity ), billionaires enjoy negotiating against millionaires they stay superior, but billionaires are a little uncomfortable negotiating against billionaires it becomes too expensive.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
But NOTHING would convince you, would it, because you want to believe that there is some conspiracy afoot, or that everyone running the club is a crook, don't you? Hence your oft-repeated mantra that you don't trust any one of "them".

I'll happily send you the accounts for the last 5 seasons, but you have no interest in knowing the facts, do you? Ignorance really is bliss in your case.

when you get to my age you find it difficult to trust anyone
and I will say it again I don't trust anyone (other than my family)
the goings on at the club are you must admit rather Machiavellian at the least

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
100 per cent correct and needed saying.
and any time I would take anything you say seriously will be the day I give up

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
CMS, Ulloa, Bridcutt, Buckley, Upson, Koosh and Greer. Can't think many others are on in excess of 500k

The industry is propped up by Sky and wealthy benefactors. Two thirds of all revenue generated goes on players wages and agents fees. Enough money has entered the game from Sky to have guaranteed financial stability throughout the whole football pyramid. It hasn't because the monster called the Premier League eats most of it and then spits out a few scraps to the lower leagues.
A salary cap along the lines of...
PL............£40K per week
Champ......£20k per week
Div 1........£8k per week
Div 2........£5k per week
...would be offset with bonus structures that would boost earnings. Where else in industry do ' results based ' employees get vast basic salaries that negate the need for any further incentivisation?
Going back to the dark ages of football ( for the younger readers...before the Premier League ) players relied on bonuses to make up their money. They were hungry and determined and a win bonus made a difference to their wage packet.
Now it doesn't matter if you win 7-0 ( Man City ) or lose 7-0 ( Norwich )...you still earn your £40k / £80k / £160k per week. Players are cheating more and more and therefore the fans are getting cheated more and more. Players underperform for games on end but still draw their big fat wages. The manager always carries the can but his salary doesn't reflect the total responsibility that his job entails. Players don't train anymore than before for these vast salaries and now we learn that many of them aren't interested in pulling on their national shirt.
Its a runaway train that nobody is prepared to put the brakes on. Why? Because so many others employed and associated with the game have their noses in the trough. When the Chairman of the PFA is earning a lot more than many of his members and is the highest paid union official in the country, is it any wonder there is no desire to change. When some agents can earn more in one lucrative move for their client than most of us will earn in half a working lifetime, is it any wonder that salaries continue to rocket upwards.
The NFL care about their game, about its structure and about trying to level out the playing-field a bit. Football in this country is very selfish. It is an elitist club with just a very few big-hitters and a lot of upstarts, desperately trying to cling on to their shirt-tails. There is no interest in the pyramid. Many fans of the big 4-5 clubs couldn't even tell you what is happening in the other leagues. It doesn't concern them. They are not interested. They will never be in that position themselves. Their future has been guaranteed. Unlike a great many other clubs.
I was asked recently ( and not for the first time ) " What division are Brighton in "...." The Championship "....." What level is that?"....at that point I lost the will to live and realised how insular our game has become.
Back to salaries.....oh f--k it, I've run out of steam....rant over.

The NFL has a team salary cap of $123m whereas you seem to be proposing individual caps. Also, in the 2012 draft Andrew Luck was signed from college for $22.9m over four years. Not sure any youth players in the football get salaries like that!

And lets not forget that the NFL is a franchise based set up. Do you want that in Football as well?

Why should anyone be subject to a salary cap? It doesn't operate in most other industries, and is also relatively easy to circumnavigate. It's not as if the players will waste the money

View attachment 48356View attachment 48357View attachment 48358

I very much suspect that those that work in the factories that manufactured those cars are grateful!

I don't see how football can compare with The NFL.

From the moment kids leave High School and move on to college/university, they are entering a system geared towards polarity.
Sure some teams still manage to come out on top, but that's usually geared towards an exception talent, (usually coach or QB).
There's plenty of constraints around free trade.
The salary cap is still an enormous amount of money, it's not like teams spend all their money on 2 or 3 good players, with nothing left in the pot.
Critically that enormous amount of money is only shared by 32 teams.

This.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I wouldn't worry about answering the cat bloke. He is an armchair fan that puts no money into the Albion and constantly moans about the club. Waste of air!

just an after though having checked some of my posts
most of my moaning comes from the fact that "player" has been absolute shite and if you have ever listened to it (or not in some cases) I am sure you would agree with me a very small thing the club could maybe get right

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
when you get to my age you find it difficult to trust anyone
and I will say it again I don't trust anyone (other than my family)
the goings on at the club are you must admit rather Machiavellian at the least

I'm not that far off your age and although I may be a bit cynical and don't take much at face value, there are still plenty of people I trust, outside of my family. Trust has nothing to do with age. You do sound very bitter in many of your posts and I find it bizarre that you think the worst of the people running the club now, given our history.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bridge........£10,000
Vicente......£21,000
Hammond...£7,400
Poyet........£28,500

Total.........£67,000 approx.
( £3.5m )

Even if these figures are spot on the costs are still ongoing with managers , coaches and players being replaced on similar wages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here