Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] I'm Listening.........

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No Niles, no party.

Frasier: Is that your idea of appropriate baseball-watching attire?
Niles: Obviously, you failed to detect the subtle diamond pattern in my tie.
Great example of the dialogue that made Frasier special. I'm guessing Alan Cornwall (the Nicholas Lyndhurst character) is going to be the Niles replacement. After all he's English, so an American audience is going to expect him to be a bit stuck-up. Certainly I can't see him being a 'Daphne's brother' type Englishman.

I'm sad that Niles isn't going to be in it, but also in a way relieved. This way it isn't just the surviving cast members doing a remake of the original series, and it can be seen as a progression, the same way as it was when the Frasier character was spun off from Cheers.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Didnt know that. Should end up terrible then. I'm sure the person who will be brought in to replace him will be a fine person (and who I predict will fill a lot of quotas, good luck doing a show based on middle-aged upper class white heterosexual men in 2020) will be a fine person and actor but the show cant live without the Frasier-Niles dynamic.
Doubt if you are still around in this Potter less world, but fun facts re your quotas comment:

John Mahoney who played Frasier's dad was gay.
David Hyde-Pierce who played Niles is gay.
Dan Butler who played Bulldog is gay.
Edward Hibbert who played Gil Chesterton is gay.

In other news, as others have mentioned, Jane Leeves was from East Grinstead but her character was from Manchester and had a terrible Manchester accent.
John Mahoney was born in Blackpool and raised in Manchester. He had a great American accent and never once commented on Jane Leeves' accent.

Oh, and Frasier lived in Appt. 1901. Spooky Albion connection.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
With the advances in CGI perhaps Bart Simpson can make some guest appearances, after all Frasier made enough as Sideshow Bob in the Simpsons. And when Niles turned up as Sideshow Cecil it was comedy gold

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Great example of the dialogue that made Frasier special. I'm guessing Alan Cornwall (the Nicholas Lyndhurst character) is going to be the Niles replacement. After all he's English, so an American audience is going to expect him to be a bit stuck-up. Certainly I can't see him being a 'Daphne's brother' type Englishman.
I don't know if you remember that scene but, as I remember it anyway, what made it even funnier was Frasier then checked the tie and nodded his approval.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I would have liked to see it and make my own mind up but I don't think Paramount is on Freeview so, unless it is repeated on Dave in 10 years time, I suspect I never will.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Still can't hold a candle to "Cheers" !
Disagree, both wonderful shows but quite different from one another. Cheers far more traditional in its approach but Frasier, unusual in that it was faux highbrow with two sophisticates as the main characters, it really had a very intelligent script.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Cheers far more traditional in its approach but Frasier, unusual in that it was faux highbrow with two sophisticates as the main characters, it really had a very intelligent script.
It was unusual, and quite risky, for a US comedy show in the 90s to feature two such obvious snobs as the main characters. But I suppose that they balanced that with a very down to earth Martin and a streetwise Roz, in fact those characters sparring off each other is what made it so funny and more often than not Frasier did end up with 'egg all over his face'. Also when they did do real slapstick, like "Daphne does dinner" (one of the best episodes IMO) they did it just as well, if not better, than any mainstream US comedy at the time

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Disagree, both wonderful shows but quite different from one another. Cheers far more traditional in its approach but Frasier, unusual in that it was faux highbrow with two sophisticates as the main characters, it really had a very intelligent script.
And cracking physical humour from Niles.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Apparently Lyndhurst’s character is Frasier’s old college friend, they were inseparable - which is probably why he wasn’t mentioned once in either Cheers or Frasier. Hmmm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here