Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm interested to know your thoughts on this issue I have

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I suppose it's an improvement from those crap smoking smilies you used to post. Well done.

The hat issue for the 7-year-old was probably more to make sure you did what you were told, than for any other more-concrete reason.

For match days, I expect they are alert to people who don't want to recognize the authority of the establishment that is hosting them.

It's all part of their keeping order, and how they want it kept - so it's up to them.

Yep. That would be it. As part of your training as a steward you're told to humiliate 7 year olds in front of their parents as a way of asserting your authority and then to lie about why you did it.

You don't mind if I query this with the club just to highlight to them that one of their stewards thinks that's the way to do things, do you? I think they know full well who you are in real life so shouldn't be too difficult for them to pat you on the back for remembering that vital bit of training.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
The hat issue for the 7-year-old was probably more to make sure you did what you were told, than for any other more-concrete reason.

For match days, I expect they are alert to people who don't want to recognize the authority of the establishment that is hosting them.

It's all part of their keeping order, and how they want it kept - so it's up to them.

So, it's an ego issue? Could you explain why you feel it's appropriate for stewards at Withdean to dress in paramilitary gear and treat paying customers like scum? I can't think of any other area of sport or entertainment where that degree of arrogance would ever be acceptable.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I should've know they'd be a load of jobsworths on here bleating about everybody following the rules :bla:

Anyone who thinks that this is acceptable behaviour from a) the doorstaff and b) the venue needs their head read.

The no hat rule was forced on pubs by the OB to try and weed out a certain demographic who is more likely cause trouble than others. It is not aimed at children in hats. It is not aimed at old boys wearing flat caps.

As usual what should be common sense has turned into an infringement on people who shouldn't be affacted, just to stop a handful of incidents. Ban everything, that seens to be the answer these days.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In 1981 (I was 9, my brothers were 7 and 4) we went to Albion v Southampton at The Goldstone. My dad took us into a family friendly area on the West terrace as were dressed in our soccerball kits and one of my brothers had a Southampton kit on. (he's a tit). The kindly copper insisted to my dad we weren't allowed to go in, until my dad told my brother "to promise to the nice policeman that you won't beat anyone up". Luckily some club official saw the kerfuffle and we got in.

Last year, I tried to use some unmarked door in the building I was working at, and a complete plum of a security guard shouted at me, insisting that only partners could use that door and not expect instant dismissal. It was a service entrance which I'd used LOADS of times before, FFS.

I guess the point is that there are clearly some poorly thought out directives that often come from the top of the tree and they will not tolerate their employees using common sense, more's the pity. Sadly, you then find that some of these grunts at the very bottom use this sad fact as some sort of power trip, making them appear very sad little people indeed. Judging from NMH's post, he's obviously one of them, but he's far from alone.

As I said to you in an email Buzzer, that woman in the pub is clearly a simpleton. Move on, and don't get needlessly aggitated by petty little people.

I suppose it's an improvement from those crap smoking smilies you used to post. Well done.

Yep. That would be it. As part of your training as a steward you're told to humiliate 7 year olds in front of their parents as a way of asserting your authority and then to lie about why you did it.

You don't mind if I query this with the club just to highlight to them that one of their stewards thinks that's the way to do things, do you? I think they know full well who you are in real life so shouldn't be too difficult for them to pat you on the back for remembering that vital bit of training.

A fine example for your son, would be if his dad doesn't take the stance of some 'rebel without a cause' when ANY person placed in a position of authority for the establishment that hires them requests compliance. You accept the rules of the house when you go round a friend's place, or a girlfriend's parent's place do you?

And yes, you can take that wherever you like.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
A fine example for your son, would be if his dad doesn't take the stance of some 'rebel without a cause' when ANY person placed in a position of authority for the establishment that hires them requests compliance. You accept the rules of the house when you go round a friend's place, or a girlfriend's parent's place do you?

And yes, you can take that wherever you like.

If one of the rules of my Girlfriends Parents was that a 7 year old should be intimidated and scared then f***ing A I would'nt respect it.

Authority needs to be used sensitively do you not agree?

I wasn't there but I doubt very much that Buzzer was disrespectful when querying the blokes reasons for stopping his 7 year child and treating him like some sort of suspect.

Personally I think that stupid rules enforced by stupid people create uneccesary tension so discretion should be the watchword.

I doubt very much that some faux Burberry cap wearing chav would point his sovereign ringed finger at a 7 year old kid wearing a cap as a reason not to remove his own hat when asked without getting laughed out of the joint.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
NMH - you are fighting a losing battle with this and you are coming across as HUGELY arrogant.

Just an opinion obviously....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
NMH -You really are a creature of habit. Here's a thread where, obliquely, stewarding is mentioned.*You don't know the full facts, yet opine on the matter as if it's the definitive answer. The definitive answer being that the steward is always right and dissenters are troublemakers and to be treated with disregard.*I can almost taste the contempt. As usual,*others have pointed out*how*silly that view is*and then you ignore that and give a completely different answer. London Irish would be proud of you.
You're not Charles Bronson out to bring order out of chaos. You're a weekend warrior in a hi-res jacket, you sad man. An embarrassment to your colleagues. Really, don't bother replying on this thread anymore. Save your bile for Saturday.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The stewards/doormen are always right. After all they are so much more POWERFUL in their flap jackets and ID card thingys. It also means that they are SUPERIOR; like SUPERMEN.

Dont ever question them again. EVER.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
respect_

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The rules are probably designed to be compatible with the very low IQ of doorstaff, where common sense is often not present. Them saying no headwear whatsoever removes the ability for discrection on the part of the doorstaff. If they said kids are allowed to wear hats where do they draw the line? 15 year olds are perfectly capable of causing trouble especially if they've had a couple of drinks (either before or in the pub) and so might 13 or 14 year olds.

Not agreeing with the policy but can see how they might get to that situation

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I recently did a doormans course as my work wanted all managers to have some experience of conflict resolution. This is what you would expect from such a course I thought. As it turns out we effectively spent three days being taught how to punch people and get away with it. With training like this it is no wonder most doormen are power crazy goons. This is an industry with serious issues and in need of much better regulation.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How is NMH going to reply to this BARRAGE of criticism against him? I'm guessing it'll be with another crap youtube link no-one clicks on.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The stewards at Carlisle decided to chuck my mate out at half time for "looking at them".

If one of the rules of my Girlfriends Parents was that a 7 year old should be intimidated and scared then f***ing A I would'nt respect it.

Authority needs to be used sensitively do you not agree?

I wasn't there but I doubt very much that Buzzer was disrespectful when querying the blokes reasons for stopping his 7 year child and treating him like some sort of suspect.

Personally I think that stupid rules enforced by stupid people create uneccesary tension so discretion should be the watchword.

I doubt very much that some faux Burberry cap wearing chav would point his sovereign ringed finger at a 7 year old kid wearing a cap as a reason not to remove his own hat when asked without getting laughed out of the joint.

Yes yes, I see how some metrosexuals might be intimidated and scared by someone asking them to remove a hat. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here