Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm interested to know your thoughts on this issue I have

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
True gents should always follow the rules;

Remove your hat indoors

This rule seems to have gone out the window these days. You should remove your headwear upon entering a building. Furthermore, never keep your hat on while at the dinner table. It reflects very poor etiquette.

Bar that modern stewarding is partly designed to wind us up and give unimportant peoples inflated egos.
Sorry Buzzer, but I'm with Horton on this one. You really should be teaching your son the finer point of etiquette regarding removing his hat upon entering a building. :wrong:

Forget the neanderthal bouncer, though he is only doing his duty to avoid your boy getting a visit from the etiquette police.

The best advice is from Easy, though. Steer well clear of the Sportsman

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Many years ago a mate of mine was refused entry to a well known Worthing nightclub (oh the shame) because he was wearing trainers.
He returned 15 minutes later to try again sporting a natty pair of loafers, polished so you could see your face in them. Once again he got the ''Not tonight mate''

He was though, stark bollock naked this time. The bouncers didn`t even smile.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I take it the door goons would insist that The Slade remove his headgear in the unlikely event that he was to venture into the dump?

Actually, I suppose they prob's would - bearing in mind that it's highly unlikely they actually know who he is.

ps Do you still have to wait 45 minutes to get served in there (mostly thanks to beered-up gobshites pushing-in &, errrr, being gobshites)?? I f***ed the place off a cupla seasons ago now due to the aforementioned scenario. They (the gobshites) did me a big favour tbh.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
so is this just a man thang? are the lovely ladies still able to don thier floppys on matchday ? wonder if the policy applies to queenie when she sees sense and gets herself a season ticket for withers.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Doormen

Hitler, lovely fitting Jacket Sir welcome in
Himmler - lovely shiny Boots Sir you are most welcome
Jesus - f*** off Jesus no sandals

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Doormen

Hitler, lovely fitting Jacket Sir welcome in
Himmler - lovely shiny Boots Sir you are most welcome
Jesus - f*** off Jesus no sandals

makes good business sense though, doesn't it? let the real people in, turn away the fictional character.

on the subject of hat etiquette, men should never wear a hat indoors. women can wear what they like, where they like because there's just no telling the classless bitches, is there?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ps Do you still have to wait 45 minutes to get served in there

462_skeleton.jpg

A customer at the Sportsman bar, yesterday.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I take that as a slight improvement these days then, Easy. :thumbsup:

I remember one particular game (several seasons ago-ish) when the queue was sooooooo long, that there were several wannabe punters who ended up like our beerless chum above. As if that wasn't bad enough, all were wearing headgear: & believe-you-me, there's nothing quite as undignified as a skeleton in a cap..

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
:wave:

I think you're over reacting a tad, sorry!

If there is a no hat rule, then it means no hats. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? Crash helmets?

The wig issue is different - you can't expect someone to remove their syrup upon entering a pub. Suppose they were trying to make a cancer sufferer remove their wig?!

Save your energy mate, not worth the effort fighting this one.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Supid, stupid rule - yes, maybe ask teenagers but a 7 year old - pathetic.

FWIW, and IMO you should have to be a home fan to get in - it's easy to do that at Withdean as everyone has a ticket.

Then it might be possible to get a drink in under 1/2 an hour.

Dandyman

In London village.
makes good business sense though, doesn't it? let the real people in, turn away the fictional character.

on the subject of hat etiquette, men should never wear a hat indoors. women can wear what they like, where they like because there's just no telling the classless bitches, is there?

Indeed. Tell the nipper to remove his hat indoors, then kneecap the doorchap oik for having the temerity to speak to you and yours without presenting his card first.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
aside from the point and purpose of the rule, why should a 7 yo be excused? for one thing what does that teach them, for another it make the rule clearer and better to enforce if universally applied. otherwise what happens is some 20yo sees your kid, puts their hat on and frank discussion over the interpretation of the rules ensues between bouncer and cocky arsehole.

as said the real answer is to not go somewhere that feels they need such rules.

The hat issue for the 7-year-old was probably more to make sure you did what you were told, than for any other more-concrete reason.

For match days, I expect they are alert to people who don't want to recognize the authority of the establishment that is hosting them.

It's all part of their keeping order, and how they want it kept - so it's up to them.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Common sense is something generally lacking when it comes to stewarding/security. I did a stint, suring my uni days, and most of the career security people were a lost cause. Some of my fellow uni people were caught up in the whole power trip fiasco.

Firstly, the security guard/twit should not be asking a 7 year old to remove his hat. He should politely ask his/her parent.

Secondly, I think it is quite clear that a 7 year old should be exempt from various rules or at least bend the rules. If someone (a cap wearing adult), raises the issue then explain that.

As with most professions, there are good and bad. When it comes to security, most are bad.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The hat issue for the 7-year-old was probably more to make sure you did what you were told, than for any other more-concrete reason.

For match days, I expect they are alert to people who don't want to recognize the authority of the establishment that is hosting them.

It's all part of their keeping order, and how they want it kept - so it's up to them.

Listen to yourself...

We are talking about a metrosexual gentleman and his two kids. Keeping order? Sounds like an easy power trip...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here