Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm hearing some big BHA news this evening...

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I’m perfectly calm, thanks love.

He’s not a rogue or a hero, he’s a footballer looking out for No1, as they all do. Just wasn’t sure how people who work in the emergency services somehow got dragged into the debate.
Easy Tiger! Man of Harvey seems to be suggesting in a satirical way that some people's criticism of Dunk is OTT. All I'm saying is that if this highly paid chap thought he was justified in not doing what he is paid to do, it does not put him in a good light with some particularly when you think of what some people in society have to do to make a living.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Really impressed by the way the club has handled. There's been no suggestion that Dunk refused to play from them. Just from media sources.

Like many, I assumed that Hunemeier and Goldson signing meant we were going to lose Dunk but it seems we're aiming a bit higher this season.

I genuinely can't believe there are some on here (and the other thread) moaning about this. I'm sure the club know what they're doing and haven't spent all remaining money on Dunk leaving us with no further additions further forward. Only on NSC could being second in the league and signing one of our best players to a very long term contract cause a few people to complain.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy Tiger! Man of Harvey seems to be suggesting in a satirical way that some people's criticism of Dunk is OTT. All I'm saying is that if this highly paid chap thought he was justified in not doing what he is paid to do, it does not put him in a good light with some particularly when you think of what some people in society have to do to make a living.

Sure, but it IS something of an irrelevance still. Whenever a football “misbehaves” in some way, the knee-jerk so often seems to be to compare them to nurses, firefighters, soldiers or whoever, as they do their jobs (which are obviously more important) for a tiny fraction of the wage footballers are on, and for far longer hours.

Its just a lazy comparison though. Footballers get paid fortunes because their skills are, compared with your average joe, rarer. With the proper training and dedication, lots of people can make a career being nurses, firefighters, soldiers etc. But only a tiny fraction of people get to choose to be a professional footballer for a living (although I accept you do somehow get anomalies like your Kemi’s slipping through the net occasionally).

Playing football is a rarer skill, and much sought after by people who are in an industry awash with money. Morally it sucks, but what can you do. Its not the footballers fault, its basic economics. People at the top end of any entertainment industry get paid shedloads compared with folk who do the important stuff in society, twas’ always the case. Comparing footballers to lifesavers is just one of those emotive, self-perpetuating, vacuous Daily Mail-esque whinges that when you look at it, simply makes no sense.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Sure, but it IS something of an irrelevance still. Whenever a football “misbehaves” in some way, the knee-jerk so often seems to be to compare them to nurses, firefighters, soldiers or whoever, as they do their jobs (which are obviously more important) for a tiny fraction of the wage footballers are on, and for far longer hours.

Its just a lazy comparison though. Footballers get paid fortunes because their skills are, compared with your average joe, rarer. With the proper training and dedication, lots of people can make a career being nurses, firefighters, soldiers etc. But only a tiny fraction of people get to choose to be a professional footballer for a living (although I accept you do somehow get anomalies like your Kemi’s slipping through the net occasionally).

Playing football is a rarer skill, and much sought after by people who are in an industry awash with money. Morally it sucks, but what can you do. Its not the footballers fault, its basic economics. People at the top end of any entertainment industry get paid shedloads compared with folk who do the important stuff in society, twas’ always the case. Comparing footballers to lifesavers is just one of those emotive, self-perpetuating, vacuous Daily Mail-esque whinges that when you look at it, simply makes no sense.
What can you do? Play if you are being paid to.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Not disagreeing with you on that one iota.

Sure. It does suck but at least be a pro, put in a shift etc and if you head a few winners even better. Don't refuse to shake hands with your manager etc and maybe you can have a well paid career without people comparing you to a fire man.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
As far as I'm concerned he can shove his new contract where the sun doesn't shine.
He has actually REFUSED to play for the team he is contracted to, literally forcing them into extending his contract he only signed an extension to in January.
And there are actually people on here saying " wow great fantastic "
Greed people and disloyalty to the club and fans and some of you think its wonderful FFS :ffsparr:
If it is true that he refused to play fir the club (and I was never quite sure or quite made my way all through the thread) then - this.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
or you might argue the playing budget and our transfer targets for this year was set a while ago and Dunk's departure or not was a completely separate issue...
That said the club probably didn't imagine 6 weeks ago they'd be offering him a new expensive 5 year contract, only 13 months after offering him a new expensive 4 year contract.

Who's to say either deal was expensive? It's all relative.

Perhaps last years deal saw him get a doubling of his salary to £6k a week plus bonuses and that now he's on £10-11k a week on a par with other players?

I'd call that good deal making all round.

Club has saleable commodity and Lewis feels loved.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

Perhaps last years deal saw him get a doubling of his salary to £6k a week plus bonuses and that now he's on £10-11k a week on a par with other players?

It's not up there with brighton to get a new stadium but it good to see a useful player who had differences with the club appears to have decided to stay loyal …………… for the time being and if he changes his mind, we'll get more dosh.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong

Pure speculation of course, but I would imagine he is on at least 13k a week now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If you don't think its BIG NEWS that Brighton & Hove Albion is now in a position to turn down offers in excess of £5m for young players, and finally fight off circling richer clubs, then you're a pretty tough crowd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here