Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I’m crying

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well it's a funny old game, full of ups and downs.

I was on the Seagull Special coming back from Newcastle in 1979. We were finally in the First division, playing the football of our lives in front of huge crowds. If when we were going through Preston Park station someone had tapped me on the shoulder and said: "See over there? That's Withdean Stadium. In twenty years' time Brighton will be back in the fourth division and that will be their home ground, playing in front of crowds of about five or six thousand. And the thing is you'll be pleased because you'll see it as progress compared to previous seasons." I would have been shocked, appalled and I simply wouldn't have believed them. No way would we lose the Goldstone and end up back in division four with tiny crowds again.

But of course it happened. Conversely if as I was leaving the Goldstone after the Doncaster game when the very existence of the club was at stake someone had said: "Don't worry. In twenty five years time Brighton will have a magnificent new ground, crowds will be higher than they ever were, and the club will not only be in the Premier League but will be at the top end and will be in Europe. And they'll be capable of going toe-to-toe with the likes of Marseilles and Ajax" Well obviously I wouldn't have believed them, that scenario would have been simply unimaginable.

And yet here we are. What a journey! Where will we be in another twenty five years time? Hopefully not back at Withdean!

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023

I was on the Seagull Special coming back from Newcastle in 1979. We were finally in the First division, playing the football of our lives in front of huge crowds. If when we were going through Preston Park station someone had tapped me on the shoulder and said: "See over there? That's Withdean Stadium. In twenty years' time Brighton will be back in the fourth division and that will be their home ground, playing in front of crowds of about five or six thousand. And the thing is you'll be pleased because you'll see it as progress compared to previous seasons." I would have been shocked, appalled and I simply wouldn't have believed them. No way would we lose the Goldstone and end up back in division four with tiny crowds again.

But of course it happened. Conversely if as I was leaving the Goldstone after the Doncaster game when the very existence of the club was at stake someone had said: "Don't worry. In twenty five years time Brighton will have a magnificent new ground, crowds will be higher than they ever were, and the club will not only be in the Premier League but will be at the top end and will be in Europe. And they'll be capable of going toe-to-toe with the likes of Marseilles and Ajax" Well obviously I wouldn't have believed them, that scenario would have been simply unimaginable.

And yet here we are. What a journey! Where will we be in another twenty five years time? Hopefully not back at Withdean!
You complete git I was doing ok this morning now I’m bloody chopping onions again

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It’s the lows that make the highs even better.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Now I was very emotionless last night. I'd done everything I promised myself I'd do, including kissing the station platform at Marseille on arrival. And if the wife ever finds out the 'true' cost of these three away games she will file for divorce I'm sure. It's now down to the hard business of winning the competition.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I completely lost it in Marseille. Emotion completely got to me and I cried my eyes out. I’ve never done that at football before, but it just suddenly hit me how far we had come, playing in that stadium in the Europa league when I’ve watched us play league games in front of 1100 people. That and all day drinking in the sunshine, I guess. But for some reason last night didn’t feel like that at all, it all felt a bit ‘normal’. Which I still can’t get my head around, it was f***ing Ajax!!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I completely lost it in Marseille. Emotion completely got to me and I cried my eyes out. I’ve never done that at football before, but it just suddenly hit me how far we had come, playing in that stadium in the Europa league when I’ve watched us play league games in front of 1100 people. That and all day drinking in the sunshine, I guess. But for some reason last night didn’t feel like that at all, it all felt a bit ‘normal’. Which I still can’t get my head around, it was f***ing Ajax!!
I have a picture of a guy that was bawling his eyes out on my brother's shoulder at Ajax , that wasn't you was it !?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can someone repost the best quotes from this Twitter thread for those of us who don't have Twitter please? The thought of man utd and Ajax arguing over who got beaten worse by us is very pleasing to my Albion ego.

Thanks!
I don't think you need Twitter to read the comments, Just click on the link and scroll down.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
1698408298929.png

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Get a whisky inside you and get to bed.
It was the bloody booze that caused it.

Just to clarify my situation, it wasn’t a full blown blubber, but the gravity of the situation caused me to well up and get a lump in my throat (but then again I also got like that at the elderly married couple scene in Squid Game!)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It was a clean and polished performance

We wiped the floor with Ajax.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here