Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IKEA to be built on land owned by the Albion...?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The fact that it's a flood plain should in itself be enough to stop building of anything that would be vulnerable to floods or would increase flooding in the vicinity, be it houses or ikea. Anyone buying a new house built on a floodplain will find it impossible to get reasonable insurance for starters. Knowing that area they would need ikea on stilts and a car park with very good drainage

Didn't stop the Albion building a whacking great big training facility.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
IKEA won't open up a new store without there being a vast car parking space.

Southampton IKEA has 2,900 car parking spaces
Croydon 1,500
Leeds c.800
Brent - gawd knows.

Lancing - 1,000? 1,500?

A 600-home development won't necessarily have 600 car parking spaces, but even if it does, the volume of light domestic traffic in comparison to the constant 16-hour a day car and van traffic which IKEA attracts will be tiny.

Yep, they're all constantly filled up aren't they? 16 hours a day :ffsparr:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Yep, they're all constantly filled up aren't they? 16 hours a day :ffsparr:

Jesus wept. Are you being obtuse on purpose?

There will be a rolling entry and exit of cars and vans to any IKEA store throughout the day. Yes, some people will be in there from 7am. Yes, some people will be there at 11pm. No, they won't be full all of the time. The simple point is that there would be an encouraged traffic flow to and from the store 16 hours a day, with peak traffic at certain times of the day, and very busy for much of the weekend. The numbers would be in their thousands - maybe tens of thousands - every day.

Whatever, it will be way more than the traffic for 600 domestic houses.

:ffsparr:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Didn't stop the Albion building a whacking great big training facility.
Main difference is that the training centre consists mainly of permeable pitches which allow water to drain through them. When you build a load of houses and/or a giant superstore with car park water does not drain through them it flows off and adds significantly to the amount of water in the existing streams. If the houses or superstore get built then houses near any streams/culverts in south Lancing will cop it when it rains heavily

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

There will be a rolling entry and exit of cars and vans to any IKEA store throughout the day. Yes, some people will be in there from 7am. Yes, some people will be there at 11pm. No, they won't be full all of the time. The simple point is that there would be an encouraged traffic flow to and from the store 16 hours a day, with peak traffic at certain times of the day, and very busy for much of the weekend. The numbers would be in their thousands - maybe tens of thousands - every day.

From a little research and professional knowledge, daily traffic generation for 600 houses would be circa 1500 vehicle movements. Ikea would be double to triple that. Although the residential trips would be more heavily concentrated on peak hours so could cause more problems.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
From a little research and professional knowledge, daily traffic generation for 600 houses would be circa 1500 vehicle movements. Ikea would be double to triple that. Although the residential trips would be more heavily concentrated on peak hours so could cause more problems.

I'll go with your '1500 vehicle movements' (avg 1.5 cars per minute through a 7am-11pm period), but IKEA's 'double to triple that' is underplaying it by a distance.

Additionally, a domestic housing project would probably have vehicles leaving from north and south of the site. IKEA's car parking would probably have its site access and egress in one place. I say 'probably' as I don't suppose the residents who currently live nearby would want the thousands of IKEA visitors trundling past their houses.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'll go with your '1500 vehicle movements' (avg 1.5 cars per minute through a 7am-11pm period), but IKEA's 'double to triple that' is underplaying it by a distance.

Additionally, a domestic housing project would probably have vehicles leaving from north and south of the site. IKEA's car parking would probably have its site access and egress in one place. I say 'probably' as I don't suppose the residents who currently live nearby would want the thousands of IKEA visitors trundling past their houses.

This 'trundling' wouldn't it all depend on the layout of the site etc...sorry but I haven't read all the thread..they haven't even bought the site yet? No plans put forward etc?...a domestic housing site would have traffic leaving from south and north..really?..seems a lot of assumptions being made.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Actually, you're right - I just found their predicted traffic generation for their proposed Greenwich store - around 12,000 vehicles per day... although that is a worst-case.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I 'hear' that IKEA are willing to invest heavily in improving the road access. To do this they would need build a by pass to clear the existing commute traffic. To build a bypass they would have to cut across the downs (won't happen) or tunnel (way too expensive) so I can't see it happening,

Shame as I could walk there in 10 minutes and they do a bacon roll for a £1.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'm lucky as my wife has no interest in going all the way to Croydon to buy furniture, neither have i, not actually sure if we would go if there was a local store.
I have got an IKEA light in one of my rooms at home, it was there when we bought the house, this light has 5 halogen bulbs that are very difficult to change.

I've installed a few kitchen sinks from IKEA but I don't like the waste kits that come with them, I usually throw them away and buy British made waste and trap kit.
One sink from IKEA didn't have a tap hole drilled, took me ages and a new hole saw to drill it out.

Ring any bells?

ikea-shit.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Little known fact: IKEA is actually pronounced 'Ickear' in Sweden.

It's not that little known, I'd suggest, given that they pronounce it the Swedish way on their UK TV adverts :)

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
This 'trundling' wouldn't it all depend on the layout of the site etc...sorry but I haven't read all the thread..they haven't even bought the site yet? No plans put forward etc?...a domestic housing site would have traffic leaving from south and north..really?..seems a lot of assumptions being made.

There's some assumptions.

Access to an IKEA site (situated north of the training ground) would almost certainly have to be from the A27 only. If they wanted to access it anywhere else, new roads would need to be built through residential streets in order to access it from the south or west. Can you imagine thundering great big artics being allowed through the residential streets?

Meanwhile, a domestic housing project would be an add-on to the current residential plots, meaning access could be through them as well as via the part of Mash Barn Lane which meets up with the A27.

Here's a aerial view of the earmarked site, according to the Local Plan. The red line is Mash Barn Lane coming down from the A27. My main question would be not about the building of the IKEA store, but about access.

IKEA.jpg

But, like you said, a few assumptions.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Hail the sage of all knowledge.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I always thought there was going to be an IKEA built Eastbourne way? Obviousdly not. Mind you that rumour has been going for YEARS.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
2 + 2 = 5

But you can build a prefab store on a flood plain but not 600 homes. Depends on which part of the land the Albion has bought. Altogether a good idea. The bulk of the useless cheap land is only suitable for football pitches or other sporting or recreational uses (the soil dumping land).

Some of the land might be OK for limited housing (west of the red line), 600 is too many. I would not imagine any of it is a first, or even second, choice site for IKEA on any retail unit. With a bit of imagination (combined with a Garden Centre) might just be a goer with a bit of finesse.

Transport issues would be worse with all those homes during the rush hour? Local residents might prefer it? 600 homes X 1.35 cars = 810+ journeys per day What would be the IKEA traffic? Might be 2000 cars on a busy day? Generally, it is the rush hour traffic that reaches capacity on the local roads (65% of workers travel to work by car, more with new houses). Say 1000 workers X 70% = 700 extra cars (with homes) at the peak period.

The other idea would be to build less homes.

I think the Albion should have bought the Sussex Pad?

Last edited:

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here