Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IKEA to be built on land owned by the Albion...?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Why the weekend? They're open until 11pm every night during the week.

I'm lucky as my wife has no interest in going all the way to Croydon to buy furniture, neither have i, not actually sure if we would go if there was a local store.
I have got an IKEA light in one of my rooms at home, it was there when we bought the house, this light has 5 halogen bulbs that are very difficult to change.

I've installed a few kitchen sinks from IKEA but I don't like the waste kits that come with them, I usually throw them away and buy British made waste and trap kit.
One sink from IKEA didn't have a tap hole drilled, took me ages and a new hole saw to drill it out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And... six hundred new car journeys won't!

hmm, fair point. i suppose i overlooked that as 600 homes is more deserving. and if theres enough space for 600 homes and an Ikea, then theres space for more homes. we need homes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've never had a problem. You must be thinking of the defunct MFI.

I hope it's true. I'm fed up with having to drive up to Croydon.

Ditto. Must have built 20 pieces over the years, never a piece missing. And they even sell mattresses and beds in 'English' sizes now, so you don't have to go to Ikea to buy new sheets (very important if you want them made from satin or rubber, etc). :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ditto. Must have built 20 pieces over the years, never a piece missing. And they even sell mattresses and beds in 'English' sizes now, so you don't have to go to Ikea to buy new sheets (very important if you want them made from satin or rubber, etc). :lolol:

I love our King size bed & mattress. The best bed I've ever slept in. We've got wardrobes & chests of drawers, made of proper wood, not mdf or veneered.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
One in reading opens Thursday....so anything that creates jobs is a great thing,but being Brighton it's unlikely to happen as creating jobs there isn't as important as bus lanes etc etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One in reading opens Thursday....so anything that creates jobs is a great thing,but being Brighton it's unlikely to happen as creating jobs there isn't as important as bus lanes etc etc.

Lancing isn't in Brighton. Brighton did turn Ikea down when they applied for the Hollingbury site.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm lucky as my wife has no interest in going all the way to Croydon to buy furniture, neither have i, not actually sure if we would go if there was a local store.
I have got an IKEA light in one of my rooms at home, it was there when we bought the house, this light has 5 halogen bulbs that are very difficult to change.

I've installed a few kitchen sinks from IKEA but I don't like the waste kits that come with them, I usually throw them away and buy British made waste and trap kit.
One sink from IKEA didn't have a tap hole drilled, took me ages and a new hole saw to drill it out.

I fitted a couple a year ago, they had no void in the back of the units for cheap, quick fitting of services, defeated the point of cheap units.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
What is the value of the land and would it be valued at a higher figure for commercial or residential use?

Either option would surely be good for the local economy.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Better 600 than the tens of thousands a new IKEA would bring.

Do you make it your job to over exaggerate or do you mean over a period of time? Very vague.

hmm, fair point. i suppose i overlooked that as 600 homes is more deserving. and if theres enough space for 600 homes and an Ikea, then theres space for more homes. we need homes.

I don't disagree with what you said but the traffic will increase whatever way you look at it. But not that nonsense from the first quote.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Does this mean that Brighton are committed to building 600 homes, or can they just leave the land as it is? I would imagine building 600 homes would cost more than building the Amex.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Do you make it your job to over exaggerate or do you mean over a period of time? Very vague.

IKEA won't open up a new store without there being a vast car parking space.

Southampton IKEA has 2,900 car parking spaces
Croydon 1,500
Leeds c.800
Brent - gawd knows.

Lancing - 1,000? 1,500?

A 600-home development won't necessarily have 600 car parking spaces, but even if it does, the volume of light domestic traffic in comparison to the constant 16-hour a day car and van traffic which IKEA attracts will be tiny.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I've got a feeling it's IKEA plus 600 homes etc. The local residents associations are up in arms about and I can understand why. Anyone who has the misfortune to travel the road morning and night will understand plus it's all being built on a flood plain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The fact that it's a flood plain should in itself be enough to stop building of anything that would be vulnerable to floods or would increase flooding in the vicinity, be it houses or ikea. Anyone buying a new house built on a floodplain will find it impossible to get reasonable insurance for starters. Knowing that area they would need ikea on stilts and a car park with very good drainage

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here