Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Ikea buy Churchill Square and will open City store in old Debenhams

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If it helps rejuvenate the main highstreets it's a good thing. Queens road, Western road, north street and Churchill square look more and more desolate and derelict every time I come back. The lanes and North laine are fine but those main areas are pretty shabby looking nowadays.
Agreed. Western Road especially is a very sad sight compared to even ten years' ago. London Road and Lewes Road are way more vibrant in comparison - and that's not something I ever thought I'd say.

BS34 Seagull

Jan 27, 2022
Stoke Gifford
Strange location for IKEA, it's normally out of town. Whilst I appreciate there is parking at Churchill Square, you have to re-mortgage the house for 2 hours to do so and you've then got to transport your Sven Goran Ericksen bookcase to the car from the shop.

Anyway, those cheap tea towels are excellent for one use one and done.
The IKEA superstore, here in Bristol, is sitting on top of Bristol Rovers old Eastville Stadium.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Do they actually do delivery now? For yonks they didn't. It meant a drive of shame to Croydon. Whether they do or whether they don't, will be excelente to browse the Churchill Square store and pick up all manner of cheap yet functional shit. Smorgasbord! :clap:
I think they've delivered for years. We've got two king-size Ikea beds, we've had them for ages and there's no way I strapped those on my roof and drove them back from Croydon. Plus we've just had (last week) a replacement mattress and assorted bed stuff.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Churchill square was thrown up in a hurry and had a quite serious snagging list. Most of which never got resolved.

Virgin Megastore, where I worked at the turn of the century, was regularly flooded with orange juice form the vast juice machines in one of the restaurants upstairs 😂

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do they actually do delivery now? For yonks they didn't. It meant a drive of shame to Croydon. Whether they do or whether they don't, will be excelente to browse the Churchill Square store and pick up all manner of cheap yet functional shit. Smorgasbord! :clap:
Have done for ages. We fully kitted out a redecorated bedroom with IKEA stuff - had a look round in Croydon, took pics of the reference numbers of the stuff we wanted and then ordered it all online. Even better, then paid a bloke to come and put it all together - did it in about quarter of the time it would have taken me and didn’t make any mistakes like I undoubtedly would have. He also had a big box of spare bits in case there was anything missing. Best couple of hundred quid I’ve ever spent - those triple wardrobes are absolute pigs to put together on your own. He was independent but did a lot of work putting stuff together in IKEA and other furniture stores.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have done for ages. We fully kitted out a redecorated bedroom with IKEA stuff - had a look round in Croydon, took pics of the reference numbers of the stuff we wanted and then ordered it all online. Even better, then paid a bloke to come and put it all together - did it in about quarter of the time it would have taken me and didn’t make any mistakes like I undoubtedly would have. He also had a big box of spare bits in case there was anything missing. Best couple of hundred quid I’ve ever spent - those triple wardrobes are absolute pigs to put together on your own. He was independent but did a lot of work putting stuff together in IKEA and other furniture stores.
This. Used to be guys in Brighton did a roaring trade in assembling IKEA furniture. Probably still is

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Are they though?

The two I've visited most are Southampton and Croydon, and I'd describe both as being very much "in town".
They might be the only 2 I've been to. Southampton is very much in the centre of town, but not convinced that the Croydon one is but, then again, I'm not that familiar with the geography of Croydon.
@Mellor 3 Ward 4 has this right, it's really good news for Brighton

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I appear to have perpetuated a falsehood. Apologies.

Eddie Stobarts soon to be a thing of the past Completely. Less and less of their Livery units and trailers around now. Bought out by Culina now. The end of a big family haulage company. Shame because one of the sons william has started his own company. WS transport.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Eddie Stobarts soon to be a thing of the past Completely. Less and less of their Livery units and trailers around now. Bought out by Culina now. The end of a big family haulage company. Shame because one of the sons william has started his own company. WS transport.

There goes my main hobby. Standing on M-Way bridges in all weathers, photographing rare ES trucks.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
There goes my main hobby. Standing on M-Way bridges in all weathers, photographing rare ES trucks.
It really is a Serious hobby for some. Pulled a Stobarts trailer once, stopped in services and was confronted by E S spotters, they were shocked that i did not work for Stobarts but told me about the registrations and cab names that had pulled that trailer. They were tipped off that one of the drivers who was on the Stobart tv programe would also be stopping at these services, that who they were waiting for.

These people have photo albums of all the trucks and trailers owned by Stobarts. They even told me how they get the names of the units. Only 2 have male names, Valentino in memory of Valentino Rossi and Lee Rigby.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here