Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Strange location for IKEA, it's normally out of town.
Are they though?

The two I've visited most are Southampton and Croydon, and I'd describe both as being very much "in town".

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's quite confusing exactly what is happening. The group the owns Ikea have bought the entirety of Churchill Square it appears, but assuming some/most of the shops are staying, but a big IKEA is being built within CS?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's quite confusing exactly what is happening. The group the owns Ikea have bought the entirety of Churchill Square it appears, but assuming some/most of the shops are staying, but a big IKEA is being built within CS?
The old Debenhams is on two floors and fairly spacious. Most of Ikea is flat pack so storage is not such an issue, and only one item need be displayed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Strange location for IKEA, it's normally out of town. Whilst I appreciate there is parking at Churchill Square, you have to re-mortgage the house for 2 hours to do so and you've then got to transport your Sven Goran Ericksen bookcase to the car from the shop.

Anyway, those cheap tea towels are excellent for one use one and done.
£1.50 an hour or £8.60 for the day isn't as bad as other car parks in Brighton. London Road pricing has gone through the roof lately.

Kenn

Jun 15, 2023
Simply, what was the three floors of Debenhams will become IKEA. It will be a showroom with all the flat pack furniture being home delivery rather than collection. However there will be the Market Place floor where you can pick up loads of things you never knew you needed and an IKEA restaurant for your meatballs and chips fix.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
More cheap tat
Common misconception. I have a solid wood kitchen table and all my bedroom furniture is from Ikea, good quality. There is a choice of cheaper stuff and quality stuff. They sell both.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Simply, what was the three floors of Debenhams will become IKEA. It will be a showroom with all the flat pack furniture being home delivery rather than collection. However there will be the Market Place floor where you can pick up loads of things you never knew you needed and an IKEA restaurant for your meatballs and chips fix.
Ah, thank you. I never go in Debenhams so forget it's there sometimes.

Actually, to be pedantic they say it'll be two-floors in the press release, so not sure what's happening with the other floor?

Kenn

Jun 15, 2023
Ah, thank you. I never go in Debenhams so forget it's there sometimes.

Actually, to be pedantic they say it'll be two-floors in the press release, so not sure what's happening with the other floor?
Ah, maybe Debenhams was only ever two floors then? It always seemed bigger.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
More cheap tat

I've got some cabinets from there that I've had for 20 years that have survived 6 home moves, still in good nick.

Also got some big pans and trays that have been used to prepare well over 5,000 roast dinners, still in good nick.

In fairness I did by a cheap sofa/ guest bed from them that was crap.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Are they though?

The two I've visited most are Southampton and Croydon, and I'd describe both as being very much "in town".
Yeah, but not towns you'd actually want to visit.

More seriously, I wouldn't describe the Croydon one as being "in Croydon" or "in Town", having lived about 5minutes walk from West Croydon Station in the past. It's on a commercial estate with all the big supermarkets and B&Qs etc.

Fun fact - the bit in Brazil where Robert de Niro abseils down to rescue Jonathan Pryce from Michael Palin* was filmed in one of the power station towers before it turned into Croydon Ikea (and presumably after it stopped being a power station).

*It's been a while since I watched the film.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I used to go to the Coventry IKEA when up that way visiting friends, relatives etc. We’d get there about an hour before it shut on a Saturday evening and we‘d be almost the only 2 in there. Fill the car up with things we needed, and plenty we didn’t, and it just about worked to drive it back down the M40 on a Saturday night. I don’t think I’ve been to an IKEA since that one closed and that was a few years ago, so am looking forward to it being a bit more convenient though I suspect it may be a little busier than the Coventry one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here