Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you were Hughton.....

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Probably something to do with a team in contention for automatic promotion, closer to his home, and with more money than us putting in an enquiry at the same time, but, you know, it's probably our fault, right?

....in addition to a collective midfield unit capable of picking a pass and creating goal scoring opportunities for the likes of Martin and Bent to convert.

As opposed to the likes of JFC and Gardner who couldn't find a creative channel if it hoofed them in the chops with a size 11 Puma King....

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Probably something to do with a team in contention for automatic promotion, closer to his home, and with more money than us putting in an enquiry at the same time, but, you know, it's probably our fault, right?

Yes, probably a better option for him. And possibly the inability to convince him we are PL ready along with the rest of us.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
So are you happy with a double pitch excuse in just a few weeks?
Hughton should not be putting such negative excuses into the head of young players like Ince IMO.

Did the pitch play a part in the result (if it is a poor surface that affects passing when you are a passing team) then yes so why is it a bad thing for the manager to state the obvious? and why do some fans get annoyed if it is?

So what do you think he should be doing instead? - blaming our players? - That would do wonders for their self confidence and morale (and therefore performances) wouldn't it. At present we are outside the bottom 3, do that and we would probably end up bottom imo.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
At last, somebody who gets it. I just don't understand why Best is getting slated. He's not even feeding off scraps at the moment. The bloke needs a few quality crosses or something, anything.

Its a Brighton problem and has been for four seasons now, our strikers are not being provided with enough opportunities or even any at times. Our list of failed strikers goes on, is it any wonder that we can't attract decent strikers, even on a loan basis. Our strikers are slated but its our slow pedestrian midfield that is failing!

CMS
Barnes
Painter
Vokes
Ulloa
O Grady
Baldock
Colubga
Bent

How many have been truly successful here and I will include Ulloa in that. We had it every season at the Amex, i'm starting to wonder if its the lack of ambition at the board level that is curtailing this. Decent players want to exit this club not come to it. Agents and players are not stupid when selecting an employer, previous observations on why Bent got out and now why Best is failing are spot on, we have regime problem and have now got a reputation as a strikers graveyard!!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Yeah I have and it takes all of THREE seconds before there is an aimless punt up the pitch. It is kick and rush football. Calm possession based football is good football, you have 90 mins to score you don't need to go hell for leather all the time and give the ball away every few mins.

Take a look at England v Brazil 1970, we outplayed the Brazilians, displayed more skill than is on show in the premiership, the match played at altitude included that tackle by Bobby Moore, that save by Gordon Banks and a midfield that stroked the ball around with skill and precision creating chances for Lee. My friend, you display your ignorance on here, its sad to see.

D

Deleted member 2719

Did the pitch play a part in the result (if it is a poor surface that affects passing when you are a passing team) then yes so why is it a bad thing for the manager to state the obvious? and why do some fans get annoyed if it is?

So what do you think he should be doing instead? - blaming our players? - That would do wonders for their self confidence and morale (and therefore performances) wouldn't it. At present we are outside the bottom 3, do that and we would probably end up bottom imo.
This passing b#ll@cks is still an excuse thou. So now every time time we play at Blackpool etc we are already mental up against it, does that make any logic?
Some fans may only be me, but being a manager surely is about the mental approach as much as the physical.
If this pitch was that bad surely any pressure put on the ball would mean mistakes from defenders and goals.
I think I would like Hughton to say we had an average day at the office and we will keep trying different things at training to ensure we have Great days at the office as we are Brighton and Hove Albion, fighters not lovers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Its a Brighton problem and has been for four seasons now, our strikers are not being provided with enough opportunities or even any at times. Our list of failed strikers goes on, is it any wonder that we can't attract decent strikers, even on a loan basis. Our strikers are slated but its our slow pedestrian midfield that is failing!

CMS
Barnes
Painter
Vokes
Ulloa
O Grady
Baldock
Colubga
Bent

How many have been truly successful here and I will include Ulloa in that. We had it every season at the Amex, i'm starting to wonder if its the lack of ambition at the board level that is curtailing this. Decent players want to exit this club not come to it. Agents and players are not stupid when selecting an employer, previous observations on why Bent got out and now why Best is failing are spot on, we have regime problem and have now got a reputation as a strikers graveyard!!

Where did these decent players who left us come from if no decent players want to join us?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Football in the 70s was, for the most part, boring as hell! /have you seen the videos from back then!? All hoof hoof hoof. Barely anyone has any passing and possession based skill. Or if they do they certainly don't show it!

Plooks,I can only assume that you are ' away with the fairies '.
Don't have to watch the videos.Like others who have commented on your extraordinary post,I was there.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
What would you do?

I would stop making excuses and banging on about the pitch.

These boys would wet their nappies if they had played on the seventies.
Roll ur sleeves up and get on with it lads.
I'd encourage, no demand, that the midfielders do everything they can to get forward and support our isolated lone striker. Until we start doing this we're never going to score from open play. Ince, Holla, Caskey and Kayal should be being carried off at full time.

It's not rocket science.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
If you were Hughton.....

I'd pray that whoever the serial offender is that buys badly, sells cheaply, borrows strings of useless loanees and would prefer to buy three naff players than one good one, leaves the club quickly..... if they haven't already.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Where did these decent players who left us come from if no decent players want to join us?

CMS - bought on the Amex wave of euphoria and for £1 a year
Barnes came up with us from division one
Painter on loan looking to pick up his career
Vokes also looking to move his career on
Ulloa needed a shot at English football
O'Grady cam for the money as he had just been relegated
Baldock had been there with west Ham but was languishing with Bristol Rovers as they were relegated
Colunga had an opportunity in the English game
Bent saw the writing on the wall very quickly and got out quick

A more interesting observation would have been what have the players that left us done and the answer is they have mostly prospered under different regimes, managers and style of play. This points to the fact that we have had good strikers here but successive managers have failed to realise their potential. pretty daming in my view.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
Mate of mine was at a party last night and was talking to Russell Martin about Houghton,"nice bloke but limited in coaching always to negative"

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
If I was Hughton, I would:
1. Include all defenders in the pre-match shooting practice, as our best scoring chances yesterday fell to the three fullbacks and a defensive midfielder.
2. Tell my lovechild Best to throw away his gloves and give him a short-sleeved shirt. If he feels chilly he can run about a bit more instead of appealing to the ref, when the opposition are within tackling distance.

D

Deleted member 2719

Mate of mine was at a party last night and was talking to Russell Martin about Houghton,"nice bloke but limited in coaching always to negative"

I have no axe to grind with Hughton but I see it the same way as Russell now whether that will save us or not is another question. One thing I am sure he is not the man to take us to the promised land and beyond.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't think i'd have the Hught look to play a hugely attacking side for away games on scruffy pitches, or even on cleanly smooth ones. Certainly not with the squad we have. He's not the most daring of managers, but the one that we've had of that of at least the last four we've called for the head of thanks to his lack of "tactical nous". At present we're best to steady the ship, become defensively sound, have that difficult to beat myth that gave us results over the past few seasons. From that, greater flair can be born anyhow, once we have a side that can really do that.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I don't think i'd have the Hught look to play a hugely attacking side for away games on scruffy pitches, or even on cleanly smooth ones. Certainly not with the squad we have. He's not the most daring of managers, but the one that we've had of that of at least the last four we've called for the head of thanks to his lack of "tactical nous". At present we're best to steady the ship, become defensively sound, have that difficult to beat myth that gave us results over the past few seasons. From that, greater flair can be born anyhow, once we have a side that can really do that.

I think that if we weren't struggling then two draws away from home would have looked good and people would have been reasonable happy with what Hughton is doing. The fans will be looking for better performances at home and like someone else said we have not played that badly at home under AH but have been poor defensively and that has cost us. The next two games are the ones to judge AH on. After two clean sheets the confidence should be there to get the two wins that will help us. If we play cautiously at home then we can question the manager then. If we play like we did against Forest and defend properly then I see no reason why we can't win both games.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Yes so some of the football at the top level showed that but what about all the others? Games played on ploughed fields in winter in the second division for example. No amount of skill can make you a possession based team in those conditions. I still stand by my comment that the majority of football back then was just hit and hope.

Well that's your judgement, I have seen Brighton teams throughout the 70s from Willie Irvine taking third in goal of the season v Aston Villa through to the Peter ward years, none of that was kick and run. So I just don't agree with your statement. Were you there in the seventies?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here