Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you were Hughton.....

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
What would you do?

I would stop making excuses and banging on about the pitch.

These boys would wet their nappies if they had played on the seventies.
Roll ur sleeves up and get on with it lads.

If I were Hughton I would be reflecting on:

Why the club has had four managers in 20 months
Whether I was told the truth when I was interviewed
A large stadium doesn't make a good team
When is our transfer window going to start
Why we can't attract any quality
Have the loyal supporters been short changed
Should I be looking for another job, as the saying goes 'you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear'
Is there something inherently wrong with the strategy and ethos at the club

That's all Chris, you may have made a massive mistake and if you take us down your street value will plummet from which
you may well not recover, ouch!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
..... I'd ask the chairman why we didn't acquire the services of Mr Bent for the rest of the season.

He was, in my humble opinion, our one chance of aquiring a top rated proven striker. Unless his wages were truly prohobitive, we should have stumped up the cash til May instead of splashing out on Bennetts Field car park.
Ok one more time.

Bent is out of contract in the Summer.
Bent is 30 and looking to sign his last lucrative 3 year deal.
That will only happen if he's scoring goals.
It took DB less than 90 minutes to work out every game he plays for us, would cost him 10's of thousands of pounds in the summer.
His agent got him out as soon as possible.
He's playing for a free flowing, goal scoring, promotion chancing team.
If he scores the goals that puts Derby up he's in the box seat for a pay day.

As opposed playing for a team that seems to actively despise through balls.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
I can not see Chris bringing in another striker.
Presumably Best was his man and he wanted COG to stay.
He has said he wants a right sided midfielder but with
calde or Bruno behind they will have to put in a defensive shift.
As many others have said the last 2 results are good if we can
pick up wins at home .I thought we played decent against forest and
scored 2 goals but gave away 3 pretty soft ones.
Still improvement from Sami is there.
I think we will stay up.
But we are going to be in a relegation scrap
for the rest of the season

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
..... I'd ask the chairman why we didn't acquire the services of Mr Bent for the rest of the season.

Difference is that he gets the service where he is now. There is no guarantee under our system that he would score goals. Listening to Warren Aspinall Best got absolutely no service today. If he misses chance after chance then you can blame a striker. It could be the tactics that are the problem. I would ask CH to play O'Grady and Best up front together from the start at home and close together not one on the wing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Difference is that he gets the service where he is now. There is no guarantee under our system that he would score goals. Listening to Warren Aspinall Best got absolutely no service today. If he misses chance after chance then you can blame a striker. It could be the tactics that are the problem. I would ask CH to play O'Grady and Best up front together from the start at home and close together not one on the wing.

Yep, he did say Pele wouldn't score with us.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I would be getting a right winger in or trying one from the DS, O'Grady back up top and helping Kaz get to fitness by playing him

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
if I was hughton id be looking to do whatever I could this year to stay in the championship then have a proper rebuild in the summer. I would be looking at a serious clearout and re think of tactics and formations.
IMO all of our current strikers could move on. need 3 defenders and possibly 3/4 midfielders.

Then If I don't win. id expect the gooner

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Names? And reasons why they would come here please

It is impossible for us on here to give specific names as we do not know enough about who is available or not. The obvious one that shows up is Darren Bent did we put enough effort into keeping him for the rest of the season. The winger that comes to mind is Elliott Bennett similar situation how much effort did we put into keeping him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He was, in my humble opinion, our one chance of aquiring a top rated proven striker. Unless his wages were truly prohobitive, we should have stumped up the cash til May instead of splashing out on Bennetts Field car park.
What chance? This was one of those rare occasions in football when money didn't come into it. DB would still be on his Villa contract wages, wherever he was playing, and he is likely to score more - and secure a better contract next summer - with a free-flowing Derby side than with a struggling team who still have the passing back or sideways ethos, never to the striker in he penalty area. Derby is also closer to Brum - he won't need to relocate; it's quite commutable.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It is impossible for us on here to give specific names as we do not know enough about who is available or not. The obvious one that shows up is Darren Bent did we put enough effort into keeping him for the rest of the season. The winger that comes to mind is Elliott Bennett similar situation how much effort did we put into keeping him.

You seem to be wanting it both ways there.....and going back to your original post...2 players in..just like that? Who will make an immediate impact? Hence my question of names...given that its a loan only...and if they are that good would those clubs really let them go at this stage of the season?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Football in the 70s was, for the most part, boring as hell! /have you seen the videos from back then!? All hoof hoof hoof. Barely anyone has any passing and possession based skill. Or if they do they certainly don't show it!

You're having a laugh mate, did you never watch the likes of Peter Ward, Brian Horton, Pal Clarke, Eric Steele, Tony Towner etc. We played fast football with a lot of skill. Do yourself a favour and check out u tube Brighton v Tottenham with Ward and co and you'll see how stupid your comment was.

D

Deleted member 2719

They don't need to, it seems a lot of fans are doing it for them
So are you happy with a double pitch excuse in just a few weeks?
Hughton should not be putting such negative excuses into the head of young players like Ince IMO.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So are you happy with a double pitch excuse in just a few weeks?
Hughton should not be putting such negative excuses into the head of young players like Ince IMO.

Interesting you mentioned the pitch excuse....exactly what todays opposition manager talked about...they seem to have some young players too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here