Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you were Graham Potter and you were offered the Chelsea job would you take it?

If you were Graham Potter and you were offered the Chelsea job would you take it?

• Yes, all day long

Votes: 131 35.9%
  • No, I'm staying put for now

Votes: 234 64.1%

• Total voters

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I think most on here are putting too much into this thread in the sense that we are Albion fans. Looking at it subjectively, if I was in Potter's shoes and had the chance to go to a bigger club, a club in the Champion's League, and to at the minimum double my current salary I would say or perhaps even more, then yes I would go. Does Potter love being our manager? I have no doubt that he does, but being a manager is his job and he will do what is best financially and prestige wise for himself and his family regardless of how much better of an owner TB is or what he is trying to build here.

My heart of course wants him to stay, but my head is telling me he is heading to London.

We shall see sooner rather than later either way, can't see this taking forever for a decision one way or another.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
As much as I want him to stay, I'm sure Östersund and Swansea (maybe less so, since he wasn't there long) both hoped he'd stay. They were probably all hoping he'd continue with the project.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
You dont sell an improving horse, there is more kudos in going in the champions league with Albion than any other team he could go to. That simple.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Yes - If I am GPott, the opportunity to win trophies and achieve more success than he is likely to be able to achieve here is too good to turn down not to mention a nice pay rise. Don't think he has that much loyalty to us, for much of his time here he has been fairly unloved by fans and the reaction to some games even as recently as mid/late last season left him perplexed in its negativity. If it's me I am staying but this is the club I support, if I were manager of say Southampton, a club I have no previous affinity too, and Chelsea came calling I'd be off.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
To play in the CL , have a far bigger budget for players and to go from earning around £2.2 million a year to around £6m is a difficult thing to turn down . I hope he does turn it down but if he gets offered the job I suspect he will take it .

We can afford to pay him at least double what he is on now give how much we have made recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Chelsea would look a bit stupid if they didn’t interview our Graham given his current stock.

Do they really want him?

We can only hope I guess.

If they do, it’s Adios.

Hopefully Poch interviews better.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Anyone thinking GP turns down a decent Chelsea offer is delusional unfortunately despite the Albion tinted lense we may wish he was wearing.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Dunno. If I was approached I’d definitely go and have a chat to see what they had to offer (I already know they’re paying much more), whether they were the kind of people I can work with and what their long term strategy and ambition was plus I’d do some research on the owners and their philosophy - wouldn’t want to dismiss it out of hand and piss them off as may be more appropriate for me next time the job comes up (probably in about a year). I’d then have to balance that against what I have now……..

youre right.... but this could also be about what Brighton do next, we offered Ashworth a new contract, he declined. Its right and proper to allow GP to talk to them, but if he comes back to us tomorrow and we havent already offered him and his team an extension and a hefty pay rise, would be missing a trick.

Chelsea will still offer more, we cant offer CL football, but another 5+ years at Albion (with extension) on another 1m+ per year and almost guaranteed stability in the job at a club he knows well, with a great team and supportive structure in a city he loves and family is settled in.

We have got cards we can play and Potter being the man that he is, he may be tempted by the long term stability and guaranteed support he gets here over the CL glitz and insta readies that may be insta gone with a few bad results.

If we just do nothing on the contract front, i fear we're missing a trick.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I think they need it from Bloom, but yes if Bloom agrees then you have to assume that GP is interested :down:

Think they get the green light because they are will to meet the release clause, nothing the club can do if true as reported.

I’m hoping we have a significantly improved contract for him that has been presented pre discussion with Chelsea

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
No way, like one of the earlier posts, I too was offered a position with more money at a larger company, the previous two employees had been sacked within months of taking the same job there. I stayed put and enjoy my work without the pressure of being forced to practically sell my soul to keep the bosses happy.

CaergybiGull

Aug 13, 2020
Caergybi, Ynys Môn
I really hope he avoids them like the plague. He's putting together (with TB & PB) something amazing here which, as others have alluded to. if he takes as far as possible will make him even more bankable in future.

But if he does go I wish him all the best and thanks for some great memories.

One thing he should bear in mind, he'll be at a club that was taking part in the super league experiment so if that is not his idea of how football should be, will he be able to resist if the PTB at Chelsea push for it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lets face it, he's gone.

He'll get a kings ransom of a contract, but when he's not given the time to implement his changes, he'll be binned within 12-18 months tops, just like everyone else who goes there does, and on Chelsea go - having completely f*cked up our own project we had going here.

I wish Potter no ill, but Chelsea can go f*ck themselves. I sincerely hope they plummet, not because of Potter, but just purely for the rancid football club they are.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
There's me thanking God that the transfer window had shut and there would be no more sideshows and then scummy Chelsea spring this. Hopefully he turns them down but the wedge could prove too much

gnjd_85

May 19, 2009
Other than wishful thinking on our part I can’t see how he doesn’t take this. He is bound to be an ambitious guy and it’s a big opportunity even apart from the wages on offer. Yes the club is a bit of a shitshow, but worst case scenario is it goes wrong and he gets an enormous payout and another good job somewhere else afterwards.

I wish he would stay, but I would be shocked if he did.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Absolutely.

If I'm Graham Potter, I don't have the personal & emotional ties with the club to the level that us fans have.

I might really enjoy it, I might really like my boss, colleagues, team... but being at Brighton is a job.

If I'm offered a 4 year contract at 500% of my current salary, in the kind of high-profile job I have been striving to get, I'm going to take it. If I am sacked after 6 months, I can just shrug and trouser £15-20m for my trouble. The industry knows I was on a hiding to nothing, so my reputation isn't destroyed and I'd walk into another job, whether it's at Brighton's level, or higher.

Worse case scenario: an ambitious Championship team is my only option, but I've got £15-20m in the bank (OK, £8-10m after tax) and I'm good enough to get the club promoted and pretty soon I'm back where I was, but with £9m in the bank!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The new owners are saying they want a long term plan and vision. Sounds like they could not get the ego out of the door quick enough. Sadly this makes it the perfect job for potter. Pretty gutted.

but its going to be multiple windows until he could get the right personalities in the door, will results with the current egotistical cess pit keep him there long enough?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here