Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you were Graham Potter and you were offered the Chelsea job would you take it?

If you were Graham Potter and you were offered the Chelsea job would you take it?

• Yes, all day long

Votes: 131 35.9%
  • No, I'm staying put for now

Votes: 234 64.1%

• Total voters

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
If I were GP then I'd probably want to manage at the very top and wouldn't have become a football manager if I didn't expect to have to test myself, so yes, of course I would take it.

Only thing I hope is that, GP being an intelligent bloke, the new owner of Chelsea comes across as such a dick he decides to wait for something else.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I wouldn't.

But then I also don't have the ambition and drive to make it to the PL in the first place. If I was, then yeah I'd probably go - with Chelsea it is possible to win a bunch of titles.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm starting to get the impression that Tuchel and Chelsea fell out over transfers. From what I've gleaned from interviews today, perhaps Todd Boehly and his advisers may have been buying players for TT, without his sign off.

I get the impression from GP's previous statements about an aligned club all pulling in one direction. This top down hierarchical attitude may not sit well.

Perhaps this ain't a done deal?

Some good points.

As far as I can see, the Todd is in charge of transfers. He’s essentially playing football manager. When the owner is telling you what players he wants and then signing them, it must be very tough as a manager. I suspect the Todd only wanted Cucu because Citeh were bidding for him.

There is also the question of the MD. The Todd is chairman but only until he gets bored. Who is dictating the ‘football’ strategy? We have Bloom and Barber who prove every year they know exactly what they are doing and their slow sustainable model is reaping rewards. First we were a top championship club, then an established EPL club and now we are a top 10 EPL club. I’d be shocked if there are any ‘football’ people at Chelsea pulling the strings, just that ****ing Todd.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Probably yes - because it's a tilt at the Champions League and if/when it all goes horribly wrong, I'll be a very, very rich man and will still find a club at Brighton's level.

On the flip side, once it has gone tits up and Chelsea pull the trigger (next year? next month?), I'd never get the chance to manage another rich club. This is the one shot - and there couldn't be a worse outfit to take that gamble with.

So, probably no.

I don't know.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Some good points.

As far as I can see, the Todd is in charge of transfers. He’s essentially playing football manager. When the owner is telling you what players he wants and then signing them, it must be very tough as a manager. I suspect the Todd only wanted Cucu because Citeh were bidding for him.

There is also the question of the MD. The Todd is chairman but only until he gets bored. Who is dictating the ‘football’ strategy? We have Bloom and Barber who prove every year they know exactly what they are doing and their slow sustainable model is reaping rewards. First we were a top championship club, then an established EPL club and now we are a top 10 EPL club. I’d be shocked if there are any ‘football’ people at Chelsea pulling the strings, just that ****ing Todd.

I got the impression that Boehly took that role initially as a stopgap, doesn't really want to be doing it and it was Tuchel's reluctance to get involved in transfer decisions that counted heavily against him. That's the official spin anyway. I suppose by 'reluctance' they might actually mean "not wanting the players Todd does". Let's hope that's now GP feels.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Mrs Potter will have the final say and will have already reminded him of his Brighton and Hove Albion project speech,so basically he won't be moving just yet.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
As much as it hurts, in these troubled times and with an uncertain future, the bigger the nest egg he can build and the more he can protect his children's future the better. Even if he wanted to stay, I'm sure his wife will be telling him to bloody well take it. In reality I don't think it will have taken him more than a minute or two to have made his decision and I don't blame him one bit. I still think it may well end in tears for Chelsea but as a man he has to back himself in a situation like this. You only live once. So unfortunately yes, I'd take it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As much as it hurts, in these troubled times and with an uncertain future, the bigger the nest egg he can build and the more he can protect his children's future the better. Even if he wanted to stay, I'm sure his wife will be telling him to bloody well take it. In reality I don't think it will have taken him more than a minute or two to have made his decision and I don't blame him one bit. I still think it may well end in tears for Chelsea but as a man he has to back himself in a situation like this. You only live once. So unfortunately yes, I'd take it.

Was the 'little woman' making his breakfast and ironing his shirt while her man came to this decision to financially save the family single-handedly from the poverty trap? Maybe his kids are capable of forging their own careers and supporting themselves too. You never know.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

I doubt his family would struggle to survive for the rest of their lives on his 'nest egg' from Brighton alone.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some good points.

Potter has a recruitment guy that he’s taking with him , Chelsea also just appointing a new DoF or similar

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I doubt his family would struggle to survive for the rest of their lives on his 'nest egg' from Brighton alone.

Correct. It’s not called generational wealth for nothing! Several ancestors yet born are likely to be set for life too. Just a shame climate change will kill ‘em before they can enjoy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The elephant in the room is we don't yet know whether the new Chelsea ownership want a long term change in culture with a man like Potter at the helm, or are a hirum firum band of instant gratification-addicted nitwits. Despite the seemingly knee jerk dismissal of Tootle, I get the impression he was removed because he (Tootle) is a hirum firum manager who takes all the credit for success and digs out the players every time they lose.

If the club convinced me they really want to change and employ a manager like me, I'd go. But I'd need a fair amount of convincing. If I felt I'd be sacked at the drop of a hat I'd definitely not go.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some good points.

The Telegraph, which seems to have been leading with this story throughout, paints a different view...

Tuchel made it clear that he did not enjoy the extra responsibility he was given in the transfer window after Boehly and Clearlake handed him more power and a greater say on Chelsea’s business.​

Source > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/09/07/thomas-tuchel-sacked-chelsea-owner-todd-boehly/

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I sort of understand what you are saying, but if, as mentioned here Graham Potter is currently on £2 million a year, equating to over £1 million take home, clearly Chelsea can improve on that, but how much of a "nest egg" does his family need? A good manager's career is less likely to be as short lived as a player's, with no risk of a career ending injury, so there is potential to work in this role for 20 to 30 years. Even at the level that Brighton are paying him, that's a lot of money in a managerial lifetime.

I don't have Potter down as a mercenary, so could only see him moving for football reasons.*

* obviously taking the improved wage as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here