Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you know your history, tours of the Withdean

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Was Speroni in goal ? - sorry that doesn't work anymore.:facepalm:

The Bombers were shown up that day playing against a side too good for them. The B52s at the time were one of the best sides playing American Football in the UK.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The Bombers were shown up that day playing against a side too good for them. The B52s at the time were one of the best sides playing American Football in the UK.

I am pretty sure that the B52's that day were basically a select side of the top players in the UK, or at least London and the South East, just wearing B52's uniforms.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I am pretty sure that the B52's that day were basically a select side of the top players in the UK, or at least London and the South East, just wearing B52's uniforms.

I've just looked in the programme and the team roster was the regular B52s line up and from what I remember there were no "guest appearances" for us. I watched the game from the grass bank which would later on be the South Stand.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I've just looked in the programme and the team roster was the regular B52s line up and from what I remember there were no "guest appearances" for us. I watched the game from the grass bank which would later on be the South Stand.

Yeah but the roster would have been printed beforehand - and there would have been no issues over registration etc for a "friendly" so anyone could put the kit on and play. My dad's best mate played for the B52s and I know he says he barely got a play that night as there were loads of lads from the London teams on the sideline.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I've seen my club in administration twice, the latest being 3 years ago. And next season I'll see them in the Premiership, again.

It's all fun and games :)

It seems to me that cheats do prosper. Be certain of one thing: that every sentient Palace fan knows, somewhere in the deepest recess of his heart, that his club has been to financial probity what Ronnie Corbett is to sumo wrestling and, by some oversight on the part of Justice, been rewarded for its troubles.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yeah but the roster would have been printed beforehand - and there would have been no issues over registration etc for a "friendly" so anyone could put the kit on and play. My dad's best mate played for the B52s and I know he says he barely got a play that night as there were loads of lads from the London teams on the sideline.

The game kicked off at midday. I think some of us in the crowd would have noticed if certain players looked different (ie the Jasicki brothers).

the zap

Jan 6, 2012
It seems to me that cheats do prosper. Be certain of one thing: that every sentient Palace fan knows, somewhere in the deepest recess of his heart, that his club has been to financial probity what Ronnie Corbett is to sumo wrestling and, by some oversight on the part of Justice, been rewarded for its troubles.

Ask any fan of any club if they are bothered about debts from administration and they will all say no they won't even think about it
To try and wind up people or score points by talking about the debts is a complete waste of time, nobody cares about it

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The game kicked off at midday. I think some of us in the crowd would have noticed if certain players looked different (ie the Jasicki brothers).

Well you'll have to excuse the fact that I got some minor technical details wrong - I was 4 months old at the time! I am only repeating what I was told but having been quite involved in the game in this country myself it seems quite believable, it would almost certainly happen nowadays in such a situation. No idea how regular a supporter you were, but I would have thought it would be quite easy for a few extra players to appear on the sideline without it being noticeable - I've certainly got to the 3rd/4th quarter of games and realised there's someone I've never seen before stood next to me in the same uniform!

Thanks. Not bothered either way myself, but judging by the volume of reported posts we are getting, people on the whole are bored of it.

If it doesn't bother you then perhaps you should tell the bedwetters doing the reporting to get a grip. If the situation was reversed they'd be straight on the Palace message boards, giving it the big'un. Banning opposition fans for decent banter makes us (you) look like a bunch of precious pansies.

Ask any fan of any club if they are bothered about debts from administration and they will all say no they won't even think about it
To try and wind up people or score points by talking about the debts is a complete waste of time, nobody cares about it

Wrong. A lot of people see the injustice of a Club getting £120m payout yet 3 years ago only paying 2p in the £1 on their debts. Unfortunately people like yourself take a light hearted view of it which is one of the reasons why this country is in moral decline.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If it doesn't bother you then perhaps you should tell the bedwetters doing the reporting to get a grip. If the situation was reversed they'd be straight on the Palace message boards, giving it the big'un. Banning opposition fans for decent banter makes us (you) look like a bunch of precious pansies.

Why do you care what people think of (you) us?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Well you'll have to excuse the fact that I got some minor technical details wrong - I was 4 months old at the time! I am only repeating what I was told but having been quite involved in the game in this country myself it seems quite believable, it would almost certainly happen nowadays in such a situation. No idea how regular a supporter you were, but I would have thought it would be quite easy for a few extra players to appear on the sideline without it being noticeable - I've certainly got to the 3rd/4th quarter of games and realised there's someone I've never seen before stood next to me in the same uniform!

I went to the majority of games at Withdean between 1985 and 1992. Some Olympians or Ravens at the City College game could have donned the uniform 28 years ago without being noticed (some of the top players in the Olympians and Ravens squad were black and we didn't have any black players at the time)

the zap

Jan 6, 2012
Wrong. A lot of people see the injustice of a Club getting £120m payout yet 3 years ago only paying 2p in the £1 on their debts. Unfortunately people like yourself take a light hearted view of it which is one of the reasons why this country is in moral decline.

Wrong that's just a few on here , you won't find one Palace fan with that view or one fan of any of the many clubs who have been in administration, all that a fan is interested in is the survival of their club

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Of course you won't see Palace fans criticising administration because it gives them the chance to big up their achievements funded by the taxman. I realise that opposition to Football's treatment of clubs in admin is not going to change anything, let's hope that HMRC finally exercises its muscle in the same way it would for anyone else that doesn't pay their way.

And we still don't like it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The biggest attendance at Withdean was in 1985 when the Brighton B52s played San Francisco City College in front of 12,500+ and lost 72-0

My parents took me to that and we walked out after the first quarter.

How many people watch the Davis Cup between New Zealand and Britain, back in 1935, when it was the "Brighton Olympic Stadium"?

the zap

Jan 6, 2012
Of course you won't see Palace fans criticising administration because it gives them the chance to big up their achievements funded by the taxman. I realise that opposition to Football's treatment of clubs in admin is not going to change anything, let's hope that HMRC finally exercises its muscle in the same way it would for anyone else that doesn't pay their way.

And we still don't like it.

It's not just palace fans its any fan whose club has been in administration and it would be the same here
Fans don't care about money owed they just want their club to survive and do well

the zap

Jan 6, 2012

Spot on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here