Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you go down to the woods..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mate of mine has recently moved to Patching.......can’t wait to ask him about all this [emoji23][emoji23]

There's no way he'd have done that, if he'd known that there was the chance of [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] traipsing around the local area.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There's no way he'd have done that, if he'd known that there was the chance of [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] traipsing around the local area.

I’ll tell him......too late now of course, he’s already spent a fortune on simply sorting out his garden wall [emoji23][emoji23]

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
Early 80s? Coincidence, I imagine...

Between 1972 and 1981, the bodies of four missing people were found in the woods.

In June 1972, the body of Police Constable Peter Goldsmith was found in the woods, six months after he disappeared.

Three years later, missing pensioner Leon Foster's body was found by a couple searching for a lost horse.

In 1978, Reverend Harry Neil Snelling's body was found around three years after he was first reported missing.

Then, in November 1981, Jillian Matthews, a homeless individual with schizophrenia, was brutally murdered and left in the woods.​

Natives a bit unfriendly then? .... or Sussex' answer to Fred West? No idea, but the lasr time I went there - on my own, and against parental advice - it didn't feel very comfortable, somehow. Haven't been back in more than thirty years.

So you haven't been back in more than thirty years and these incidents seem to have mysteriously stopped in the 1980s. Anything you want to get off your chest?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Are these the woods up behind The Fox, or on the other side of Long Furlong, Worthing side?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are these the woods up behind The Fox, or on the other side of Long Furlong, Worthing side?

North of the A27 and West of Long Furlong.

So "the other side of Long Furlong" per your description.

Meet you there today? Bring an axe.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
North of the A27 and West of Long Furlong.

So "the other side of Long Furlong" per your description.

Meet you there today? Bring an axe.

Axe, we agreed cable ties and a shovel, make your mind up!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Maybe I’m the unpleasant feeling people are experiencing.
If one looks around a wooded area and cant see the serial killer, the killer is you :)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
5 of us cycled past Chanctobury Ring in October with no ill effects (apart from one of the guys falling off later that dayin an unrelated incident).

Funny you say that, I have never crashed my bike, in over 30 years but cycling up by Chanctonbury ring earlier this year with my son, something flicked up. locked my front wheel ,launched me over the bars and I headbutted the ground. ouch.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Interesting.

My car has only broken down twice.

The 2nd time was a few months after the first time within about 20m of the original breakdown spot.

On Long Furlong.

I don't believe it was spooks but the references to UFOs are eyebrow raising.

I've seen the X-Files and UFOs seem to have a very bad effect on cars. FACT.

The truth is out there. Coincidence solved.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I tried to do the Bluebell 10K in those woods 10 years ago. Was trotting through the woods when my calf was seized upon by an evil cramping. I screamed in horror and stumbled to a halt. Everyone ran past without stopping to help probably due to their own adrenaline and fears. I was a shivering wreck and stumbled 2.5 miles to the finish line holding one shoe in my hand. I was announced as the last finisher over a spiritual tannoy as the last runner out of the woods and a weird group of half dressed people mulling around clapped my great fortune.

I'll never really know what happened in the woods that day................................................................................ the physio at Coral's said it was probably a bottle and a half of red the night before, cycling 20 miles from Hove to the start and not drinking any water. I don't think he'd read the Wiki page.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
My great grand father is buried in the church there, having worked as a farm hand in the area in the 30s after relocating from Somerset.
My Grandma and Grandad ran the Clapham post office during the war.

Grandad was a drill sergeant who was injured on manoeuvres prior to WWII war and never fought.
Dad grew up in the village, before the family moved out to Worthing proper in the mid 50s.

As a kid I spent a fair amount of time in Clapham woods. The annual bonfire night was always attended as a big part of my sister's birthday celebrations.
And during summer holidays, I can remember spending many hours playing in the chalkpit in the woods

I have never previously heard of any of the Clapham mysteries, despite family links going back nearly 100 years.

Odd that I have seen this thread for the first time after posting about my grandma on a seperate thread..
The mystery deepens.......

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It’s a very unpleasant place.

Strange to see an old thread of mine pop up. Been a while since I’ve gone by Nibble. Happy days.

Your initial post is an interesting read. You make a compelling case.
Do you and your girlfriend stand by it all these years on?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Went there on a school trip in the 70's.

Nothing happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here