Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you fancy a giggle - A guide to the language of Sunday League Football

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
My most used shout was 'Up their arse' to my left/right back (especially at our poxy left-back) just before throw-ins and did they listen, did they heck giving time for the opposition to turn time and time again and create yet another chance for a cross.
On another sport regularly hear 'We've gone quiet lads' out in the field during cricket, (of course it is going to be quiet you doughnut,it is a blithering game of cricket). This is then normally followed by pointless geeing up otherwise known as worthless drivel by half of the team to please the captain.

Don't get me started on pointless cricket phrases. Having played on a sat for the last 20 years am really getting peed off with everyone referring to a team mate as "fella" as in "Good wheels fella" which is congratulating the bowler on his speedy delivery.

wigangull

Jul 19, 2013
Wigan Lancs
Don't get me started on pointless cricket phrases. Having played on a sat for the last 20 years am really getting peed off with everyone referring to a team mate as "fella" as in "Good wheels fella" which is congratulating the bowler on his speedy delivery.
One for those of a certain age"MAN ON" shouted to you by you teammate after giving you a real suicide pass that is going to give you the attention of the 16 stone center half.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
During one of those library like moments at Withdean I remember the whole stadium hearing Cullip shout to Pethick " Switch on you dozy ****".

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
"NAME"

"NAME"

When no-one wants to head that ball that is coming out of the heavens from their keeper.

"ONE OF YOU"

"FFS CALL A F****** NAME"

"One of you"
A pet hate of mine and always used to be pissed off with the perpetrator of this.
When going up for a header from say a corner I will always go for the ball if it comes in my direction, I ain't got time to faff about to sense if my team-mate is going for the same ball and say after you sir or let the opposition sneak in between and get the ball instead. Then some pratt comes up with "One of you"

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I played local league football in France for a couple of years and oddly enough you were not allowed to shout, talk or call for the ball to be passed. Finished up with players running around the pitch very quietly going.."shh...shhhh...shhh" if you wanted the ball passed to you. Very strange. I was quite popular with my manager as I played the 'English' way....and the opposition didn't like it up 'em.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here