Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you drink and drive

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
But the careless *****s then nobody bats an eye lid and its just one of those things and an accident. Careless drives maim and kill just like drink drivers.

image.jpg

???

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Beat me to it.

Wish the punishments for drink-driving (especially if you hit/kill someone) were more severe so it was even more of a deterrent...

There was a case recently where a young man was convicted in Portsmouth after killing two girls while driving under the influence of drink/drugs. He got 9 years, and the local MP (Portsmouth North?) was standing up in the House of Commons the next day or thereabouts calling for longer sentences for such crimes.

It was quite difficult agreeing with a Tory MP!!!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I feel sorry for all the drink drivers who do it safely without ever hurting anyone. It's the idiots who drive too fast when they're pissed who give all the sensible drink drivers a bad name

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The problem for me is that the rate at which your body breaks down the alcohol is different per person. There's no guidance as to what could put you over the limit.

I could have 2 glasses of wine with my dinner at 7pm and feel fine at 11pm but not sure if I'd be legally allowed to drive.

it's such a grey area in accurately trying to calculate if you meet the legal requirement and is probably best to stay off if driving

I don't think that is the half of it. Ask the question who has ever had a heavy night drinking and had to get up first thing the next morning and drive their car ? I am sure I have done this in the dim and distant past, although these days I am old enough and wise enough to avoid this situation.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The UK is generally well-behaved about drink-driving. It seems to be a very different story in the U.S. - it's utterly illegal of course but there's nothing like the stigma attached. People who aren't generally utterly irresponsible in any other aspects of their lives think nothing much about driving home after a few strong ones and you see some very wobbly driving going on if you're driving around late at night.

I'm guessing you see a fair bit of it in Texas, they're probably more likely to pull you over for NOT carrying a gun.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I feel sorry for all the drink drivers who do it safely without ever hurting anyone. It's the idiots who drive too fast when they're pissed who give all the sensible drink drivers a bad name

:ffsparr: Unbelievable twaddle of the highest order, you should be ashamed of yourself.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Ok Ernestine , prove that 99% would disagree with me and I don't mean a poll on here as we know everyone would want to prove me wrong so would vote in your favor just for the fun of it.

I've been thinking about how to reply to this for too long. But I can't be arsed.

Yours sincerely,
Thomas Ernestine

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Ok Ernestine , prove that 99% would disagree with me and I don't mean a poll on here as we know everyone would want to prove me wrong so would vote in your favor just for the fun of it.

I like this post.

It's like a 5 year old's written it....and that makes me smile.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Beat me to it.

Wish the punishments for drink-driving (especially if you hit/kill someone) were more severe so it was even more of a deterrent...

There is very little correlation between crime being committed and the severity of the punishment. The death penalty demonstrates this. Plus drink drivers are all pissed up, they couldn't care less clearly. But I agree, harsher punishments should be used.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Should pub landlords shop drink drivers leaving their premises?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Zero tolerance on any alcohol and driving in Czech. Simple then

I tend to agree with that. One of the issues here is the mentality of "oh I've only had a couple of pints, I'll be alright" simply because the law, as it stands, allows that. If the law was zero, it removes any doubt about whether or not you should get in your car.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
I tend to agree with that. One of the issues here is the mentality of "oh I've only had a couple of pints, I'll be alright" simply because the law, as it stands, allows that. If the law was zero, it removes any doubt about whether or not you should get in your car.

There was a program on C4 a few years ago about how much people can drink and pass the breathalyzer test. One guy had 5 pints and was ok, another woman had 6+ Bacardi and cokes and was ok, then a young girl had 1 glass and was over the limit. Not very clear is it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Okay, I'm not a professional psychological profiler but I'm seeing a 12-15 year old male, keen interest in science and worldly things, perhaps bordering on geekiness. Few friends, spend most time watching TV dramas and surfing the internet. Likely spotty complexion and minimal interaction with the opposite sex.

So, of those six predictions, how many did I get correct? Honestly?

You said earlier that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this is true in the democratic world we are so lucky to exist in. However, if you spout enough nonsense, you will find objectors. Whether it will be more than 99-1 can only be speculated.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Last December Essex police placed adverts in our local paper that went something along the lines of, "If you're going to have a drink this Christmas, do yourself a favour and take a bus home."

Breaking into the bus was no problem, but trying to park it outside my house after 8 pints of Peroni was a f.ucking nightmare. Shit advice there:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here