Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you drink and drive

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Before they invented the breathalyser. Back in the day when there was no maximum speed on country roads. Lots of people used to drink all evening and drive home as they knew they were very unlikely to get caught. It'd be nice to know if there were more accidents because of it.

More people die on the roads through carless driving than by drink drives.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That's simply down to numbers. Far more people are careless, than the numbers that are willfully cu.ntish enough to deliberately drive over the limit.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
That's simply down to numbers. Far more people are careless, than the numbers that are willfully cu.ntish enough to deliberately drive over the limit.

Beat me to it.

Wish the punishments for drink-driving (especially if you hit/kill someone) were more severe so it was even more of a deterrent...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I literally have no idea what point you're trying to make.

I imagine more people die by knife murders than gun murders in this country. So guns are actually not too bad....

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Beat me to it.

Wish the punishments for drink-driving (especially if you hit/kill someone) were more severe so it was even more of a deterrent...

So people who kill for being carless shouldn't be punished as badly as drink drivers. All deaths should be equal and the punishment should be the same.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Beat me to it.

I've always believed that if you kill someone whilst driving under the influence of alcohol, you should be charged with manslaughter, after all, it is tantamount to the same thing. The definition of manslaughter is "the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or in circumstances not amounting to murder"

Average sentence for causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink or drugs = 4.35 years.
Average sentence for causing death by dangerous driving = 4 years
Average sentence for manslaughter = 6.6 years

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I literally have no idea what point you're trying to make.

I imagine more people die by knife murders than gun murders in this country. So guns are actually not too bad....

All crimes are bad and should be treated the same and should recieve the same punishment. Take one punch killings, lenient sentences handed out. They should be sentance as murderers. Problem with our justice system is you have a table where crimes punishable my prison if so far apart its a complete farse.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
So people who kill for being carless shouldn't be punished as badly as drink drivers. All deaths should be equal and the punishment should be the same.

Not what I said or meant at all. I was just commenting on the leniency of drink-drive sentencing.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

But the careless *****s then nobody bats an eye lid and its just one of those things and an accident. Careless drives maim and kill just like drink drivers.

All crimes are bad and should be treated the same and should recieve the same punishment. Take one punch killings, lenient sentences handed out. They should be sentance as murderers. Problem with our justice system is you have a table where crimes punishable my prison if so far apart its a complete farse.

Surely you are on a wind up here?

So someone that takes their eyes off the road for a split second while behind the wheel of a car and hits a pedestrian that steps out without looking should get the same sentence as someone that commits a pre-meditated shooting?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Personally? No, I don't think they should.

Of course by "careless" I mean have made a human error rather than "being a prick" and driving to quick etc.

If someone drink drives and kills, that, in my mind, has to be punished more than someone who thought it was safe to overtake and misjudged a situation etc.

Of course, neither would be of any consolation to the family of the person who died....but when considering jail as a "punishment" surely you should punish a drink driver (ie someone who has made the active decision to break the law) more than someone who has a made a driving error.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Not what I said or meant at all. I was just commenting on the leniency of drink-drive sentencing.

Every sentance is lenient in this country and shocking. Need stiff prison sentances for all. You have football fans getting 3 years for fighting and drivers who kill getting 6 weeks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm quite new to NSC so I'm assuming this thread is some kind of 'in joke' for the more experienced users, because it makes no sense to me at all. Dipping out of this one - but IMHO drink driving is wrong (for the avoidance of doubt meaning over the limit at which control of a vehicle is materially diminished, as determined by law) and should be heavily punished.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Totally agree drink alcoholto excess then drive you are indeed a stupid, idiotic, thoughtless, self centred, possibly man slaughtering C**T of the HIGHEST ORDER NO EXCUSES !!!!!!

By the way if anyone disagrees with me then I will gladly take you to the mortuary to see a young dead mother and baby minus one or two limbs.
and then the grieving husband/father and other relatives who's world has be turned upside down !!!!

Last edited:

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Surely you are on a wind up here?

So someone that takes their eyes off the road for a split second while behind the wheel of a car and hits a pedestrian that steps out without looking should get the same sentence as someone that commits a pre-meditated shooting?

Not on a wind up at all. Sharing my views which I'm entilted to do whether people agree or disagree.

Not on a wind up at all. Sharing my views which I'm entilted to do whether people agree or disagree.

Fair enough. For what it's worth, I disagree with you.

Death by drink driving is IMHO worse than many death by dangerous driving cases because there's some element of decision in it - the person has chosen to get behind the wheel of the car when not in a fit condition to do so. Of course some death by dangerous driving cases involve making stupid decisions, and some of those might deserve a similar level of punishment to death due to drinking, but I think each has to be assessed on it's own merits.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Personally? No, I don't think they should.

Of course by "careless" I mean have made a human error rather than "being a prick" and driving to quick etc.

If someone drink drives and kills, that, in my mind, has to be punished more than someone who thought it was safe to overtake and misjudged a situation etc.

Of course, neither would be of any consolation to the family of the person who died....but when considering jail as a "punishment" surely you should punish a drink driver (ie someone who has made the active decision to break the law) more than someone who has a made a driving error.

I think that would be the commonly held (and reasonable) view.

And like you, by 'careless driving' I'm refering to a the guy who makes a poor decision / changes lanes without properly checking, etc, rather than say somebody who is messing with their phone, or something - that for me IS in the same bracket as drink-driving.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Bet you've done it though, had to drive somewhere next day after a big night out? Most drivers that ever drink, have at some point been driving with excess alcohol in their blood, not the same as being pissed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here