Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you could, would you go back to the Withdean for one more game?

Would you go back for one more game?

• Yes

Votes: 59 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 46.8%

• Total voters

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
If I could choose the game, then yes.

I look back on the Withdean years with affection.

I'd only go back for one mind you. And I'd take Paul Barber with me just so he can be reminded of what we went through and keep that to the fore as he develops the club for the future.

I agree plus I would love to sit/stand with the guys and gals who were around me in the south stand . Comrades in adversity produced great humour and more atmosphere than current in WSL.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
What a stand it was too.

2m7uuxs.jpg

We were Block U, middle of Row S, if I recall correctly. Hove Seagull behind me and HKFC alongside.

I was quite far left, row G or H? A couple of rows back from a large skinhead dad who used to obliviously bellow "You're-sh$t-ahhhh" in front of all the kids.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I remember that small stand next to the South Stand being nicknamed the paedophile stand just because you could book tickets for it over the internet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I look back on those years fondly; they played a big part of my life. But would not want to go back.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
It would have to be a night cup or play-off game, as those had so much drama and atmosphere, with "Rocketman" hiding in the woods to celebrate the goals! :albion2:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Yes. But only for the one match. I would do what I did most home games and start in The Sportsman with a few beers and a £3.59 carvery. Would be great to sit in G Block and meet up with all the old crowd just behind the dug outs. Don't really care about the match- not sure what that says? Then the walk back up Tongdean Lane listening to Harty and the phone in.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If the weather was nice, it was a great place to watch football. There weren't many grounds where you could stamp your feet and feel a real chance of structural failure.

Late goals when down on the running track were mental.

I actually miss the old girl.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
for a chance to see how far we've come, as well as just enjoying the simplicity of the whole day. nothing was too complex or high tech, it was simply football and nothing more

Nothing asking this to have a pop but what is complex and high tech about the Amex and also surely the Amex is also surely 'simply football?'

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No, but swap the word Withdean and Goldstone and I'd bite your hand off.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Nothing asking this to have a pop bu at is complex and high tech about the mex and also surely the Amex is also surely 'simply football?'

It is. But people only went to the withdean for the football itself. There was no grand attraction and was a very strong community.Not to say the amex doesnt have this but people now go to Brighton for the stadium and experience as well. I personally also love this and wouldnt swap it for the world. But it would be nice to have one more match in the dump that is the withdean.

Note: sorry if this post looks like a dig at new fans or even the new brand that the club is. It most certainly is not meant to be. I absolutely love thw way the way club is now

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
It is. But people only went to the withdean for the football itself. There was no grand attraction and was a very strong community.Not to say the amex doesnt have this but people now go to Brighton for the stadium and experience as well. I personally also love this and wouldnt swap it for the world. But it would be nice to have one more match in the dump that is the withdean.

Note: sorry if this post looks like a dig at new fans or even the new brand that the club is. It most certainly is not meant to be. I absolutely love thw way the way club is now

Good points well made.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Thankfully the warm feelings of a very good last year there have wiped out the middle years when it always seemed to rain.

The lifeboat that saved the club. Never let it be airbrushed out of the clubs history.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thankfully the warm feelings of a very good last year there have wiped out the middle years when it always seemed to rain.

The lifeboat that saved the club. Never let it be airbrushed out of the clubs history.

If you are using a lifeboat analogy, then the Withdean was one of these

Lifeboat.jpg

Whereas the Amex is more like one of these.

Lifeboat.17-31.underway.arp.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally, if I could go back to one ground for just one match, it would be the Goldstone. Not because it was a great ground but just because there were some great memories there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here