Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you could, would you go back to the Withdean for one more game?

Would you go back for one more game?

• Yes

Votes: 59 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 46.8%

• Total voters

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I lost my virginity during the Mansfield opener. The best 20 quid i've ever spent. So in answer to your question, not 'arf!

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
It was mostly crap, but it was our crap.

Definitely, 100%.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, would be good to catch up with the regulars from H Block, one or two of them I've rarely bumped into at the Amex, probably because we're all in different parts of the ground now. Some of THIS lot...

View attachment 58920

I was so cold in that game...hat and thick jacket.

Yes I would definitely go back. Football was far more grass roots those days....and I miss a lot of the people in H block

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The entire Withdean period was a fairytale.

We were always underdogs, playing at an athletics track with temporary stands, absolutely skint - yet somehow, we managed to defy all odds and win 4 trophies in 12 years, making us one of the most successful teams in the country.

The place was special, the unity of the fans was amazing - home & away - we were so often the 12th man. The Withdean certainly wasn't the loudest, although it had its moments, but the vibe around the place was always positive. Mansfield, Chesterfield, Swindon, Man City... Amazing.

I wouldn't go back - but it would be amazing if we could take that vibe from Withdean and apply it at the Amex. I assumed it would be the case, it seemed to be at the Doncaster game, but sadly it isn't :(

It's all to do with expectations. Now fans think they are entitled in some way.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I certainly used to enjoy stamping my feet on the wooden stands in the Family Stand, if only to stop them turning into blocks of ice. It made a nice noise, and you could feel the stand shaking. It was like a throwback to olden times, like when people brought rattles along.

:moo: my old withers:facepalm:

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 171

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I certainly used to enjoy stamping my feet on the wooden stands in the Family Stand, if only to stop them turning into blocks of ice. It made a nice noise, and you could feel the stand shaking. It was like a throwback to olden times, like when people brought rattles along.

What a stand it was too.

2m7uuxs.jpg

We were Block U, middle of Row S, if I recall correctly. Hove Seagull behind me and HKFC alongside.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Definitely. A chance to sit in the Family Stand with all the rest of the little group that we had one more time. Happy days.

With some little begger kicking the crap out of the back of your seat and another one blowing a small plastic hooter in your ear hole.
Happy days my arse.

And it would be raining.

I used to sit in the middle of the South Stand in front of the TV gantry and it was a pretty good view and we could have a shout and swear without any hassle from the stewards, but I moved over to the family stand because my Mrs was taking 2 of the kids on her own and I THOUGHT it would be nice sitting together, and it was a lot cheaper.
TBH I hated it there and even stopped going one season because It was so bad and the football was crap that season.

I'm nowhere near the family stand at the Amex and I'm enjoying the WSU.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Probably not, "never go back" and that.

Anyone else think that the atmosphere at many of the Withdean games were literally better than the atmosphere at the Amex these days? How sad is that.

Simple answer to your question about the atmosphere, no.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Utterly horrible dank cold shithole.

Would DEFINITELY go back one last time. Great memories.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If I could choose the game, then yes.

I look back on the Withdean years with affection.

I'd only go back for one mind you. And I'd take Paul Barber with me just so he can be reminded of what we went through and keep that to the fore as he develops the club for the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here