Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If You Could Not Be British Who Would You Be

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Look around... Ive lived in Germany, Belgium, Holland and CZ in Europe. The same shops, restaurant chains, music, and fashions. Couple of the countries (NL &CZ) differ in that grass if widely smoked openly. Whats different? Not much really, other than the language.

Belgium, Holland and CZ all border Germany. Hardly much diversification to be has cross-borders. Thought you had a broader global view from which to comment.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Belgium, Holland and CZ all border Germany. Hardly much diversification to be has cross-borders. Thought you had a broader global view from which to comment.

You wont find much different in other Euro countries..other than possibly better weather...regardless of bordering Germany
I was in the RN, and travelled around the world...you will find much the same, in many countries....people in all countries pretty much want the same things...a job. Roof over their heads, and a few dollars for entertainment

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Swedish, had eight years there and it was clearly the best organised and fairest country on the planet. Only downside bloody long way to get to Albion games.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Having lived in a few countries, the one thing ive really noticed is ...they are all the same apart from the language. Do the same things. Want the same things. Whinge about the same things :) Personally, wouldnt mind an Irish passport, as they dont really feck with anybody, and nobody wants to kill them generally.

wouldn't agree with that

having lived in France for 8 years now,France and England might only be separated by 21 miles of sea,but the people differ like chalk & cheese

the misconception of the average frenchman leaning up against a wall outside a bar,smoking a gitanes,drinking a ricard while waiting for the next brass to walk around the corner,couldn't be further from the truth

they are very regimental,do everything by the clock,lunch at 12,gouter at 4,dinner at 8

the gardens & garages are impeccable,if I cut my lawn,the neighbour will be out there within the hour

on the other side of me,his garage is as clean as a Formula one garage

living with another brit abroad don't count,your basically living the british way of life but in another country

I've married into a french family,it's the only way you'd understand the french psyche,so very,very different

there are pluses of course,healthcare,job security,weather

but there are a rigid lot and french parties are exteremly boring and their sense of humour is bordering on childish

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
wouldn't agree with that

having lived in France for 8 years now,France and England might only be separated by 21 miles of sea,but the people differ like chalk & cheese

the misconception of the average frenchman leaning up against a wall outside a bar,smoking a gitanes,drinking a ricard while waiting for the next brass to walk around the corner,couldn't be further from the truth

they are very regimental,do everything by the clock,lunch at 12,gouter at 4,dinner at 8

the gardens & garages are impeccable,if I cut my lawn,the neighbour will be out there within the hour

on the other side of me,his garage is as clean as a Formula one garage

living with another brit abroad don't count,your basically living the british way of life but in another country

I've married into a french family,it's the only way you'd understand the french psyche,so very,very different

there are pluses of course,healthcare,job security,weather

but there are a rigid lot and french parties are exteremly boring and their sense of humour is bordering on childish

I dont live with a British partner, she is Uzbek.
Of course there will be what I consider to be minor cultural differences, but on the whole, we are all pretty much after the same thing. Ive been told the same thing here, about really knowing the Czechs by speaking the language.. Despite me doing the same thing as my Czech colleagues and Czech friends outside work, not sure what Czech mysteries I would discover by speaking Czech. My perception of the average French bloke, is going to work, hoping to have a roof over his head. A job and some play money, same as all of us.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
This, either great choices. Dutch would probably win out though. Great country, great people and legal smokeables.

Weed is tolerated in CZ as well. Something I didnt realise until I moved here. Apparently more people here smoke than anywhere else in Europe. A lot of weed in Holland is grown here as well. The laws more agreeable Can hold 15 gr here legally as opposed to the 5 gr in Holland, but its a lot less organised. Bars openly sell it, but until they know you, they tend not to sell it to you. In the last couple of months, ive had two 'chats' with police officers. One asked me to put it out in a bar as he was inhaling it, and he could fail a medical...another one came up behind me when smoking a joint in the street with a friend... my friend told the cop I was English and wouldnt understand what he wanted...cop wanted to know if the car next to us was mine..the fact that I had a joint going didnt concern him at all :)
I did enjoy living in Holland though.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Belgium, Holland and CZ all border Germany. .

Holland doesn't border Germany.

The Netherlands borders Germany. Holland borders Zeeland, Noord-Brabant, Gelderland, Flevoland, Utrecht and Friesland.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
French or maybe a Belgiumist.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Italian.

The thought of coming home from work and sitting in a nice friendly piazza on a summer's evening, having a nice latte or beer and watching the world go by - that's enough reason for me!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I dont live with a British partner, she is Uzbek.
Of course there will be what I consider to be minor cultural differences, but on the whole, we are all pretty much after the same thing. Ive been told the same thing here, about really knowing the Czechs by speaking the language.. Despite me doing the same thing as my Czech colleagues and Czech friends outside work, not sure what Czech mysteries I would discover by speaking Czech. My perception of the average French bloke, is going to work, hoping to have a roof over his head. A job and some play money, same as all of us.

everyone works,it's how you play,that's where nationalites vary,alot

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Look around... Ive lived in Germany, Belgium, Holland and CZ in Europe. The same shops, restaurant chains, music, and fashions. Couple of the countries (NL &CZ) differ in that grass if widely smoked openly. Whats different? Not much reasquarether than the language.

Oh my, come live in Africa for a bit and see if you think it is the same. Last week I chatted to a family of 4 with a goat on a single motorbike, they were off to slaughter the goat as a sacrifice to god in a hope it will rain. Not sure ive seen that in churchill square.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Dippy with his band of wisdom and knowledge :bla:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Oh my, come live in Africa for a bit and see if you think it is the same. Last week I chatted to a family of 4 with a goat on a single motorbike, they were off to slaughter the goat as a sacrifice to god in a hope it will rain. Not sure ive seen that in churchill square.

If I owned a goat that could ride motor bikes I wouldn't be relying on subsistence farming for my living.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here