Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If / when the club remove the facility to pay for Season Tickets by monthly Direct Debit..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Could not afford it up front , i would have to stop giving money to whales and snow leopards so no i would not renew

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Say Brighton get promoted to the Premier League and there is only 1 ST costing £500 left for the whole ground.

Fan A has supported Brighton since 1978 and but can only afford to pay in 12 monthly instalments.
Fan B has never supported the club before but can pay the whole £500 upfront in July.

From a commercial point of view fan B gets the ST every time.

This argument only works if there is a greater demand for seats than there are seats. At the moment it's easy to get a ticket for any game and even promotion to the Premiership would probably produce plenty of non-sold out games.

Personally, if it's a problem to the club, which I can't see how it can be as they pay wages etc monthly so surely a steady flow of income each month helps ( the interest earned from having all the money up front would surely be negated by less season ticket holders and more casual match by match fans ), then they should charge a reasonable admin fee.

They won't.

It's the very reason that at least 6 people I know are season ticket holders.

In fact, Palace are starting it next year as they recognise this is EXACTLY the reason why we have so many ST holders, and I happen to know that Steve Browett (The Fat one of CPFC2010) took advice from Tony on how to set it up.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What percentage of season tickets holders pay upfront rather than paying on the never never?
I had assumed most paid upfront.

Fair point, if its interest free, suppose there is no reason to pay upfront, but having said this, interest on savings is feck all so just as easy to pay it all rather than leave it in the bank and drip feed it each month.

I'm not sure you understand what a DD is ? How is it "the never never" ? Does that mean I pay for my gas on the never never ? If you stop paying they cancel your season ticket - you're not entering into a credit agreement as far as I know.

As for the drip feed each month - you know it's automatic don't you ? Do don't actually have to do anything other than ensure there are funds to cover it and as most of us are paid monthly that's not likely to be a hardship.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] is right. Frankly it is astonishing that so few clubs have a DD scheme. There is no chance of it being abandoned. It's actually beneficial to both parties - with most paying fans being STHs, it means the club can financially plan properly, and any walk-up trade is just gravy. From the fans' point of view, we get an affordable way to pay and can theoretically cancel at any time without losing the value of an entire season ticket, meaning it is in the club's interest not to piss off it's fan base.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] is right. Frankly it is astonishing that so few clubs have a DD scheme. There is no chance of it being abandoned. It's actually beneficial to both parties - with most paying fans being STHs, it means the club can financially plan properly, and any walk-up trade is just gravy. From the fans' point of view, we get an affordable way to pay and can theoretically cancel at any time without losing the value of an entire season ticket, meaning it is in the club's interest not to piss off it's fan base.

Quite.

£40 a month now - comfortable and acceptable.

Get promotion... £600 in one go? Nein danke.

Where's the logic in that?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Say Brighton get promoted to the Premier League and there is only 1 ST costing £500 left for the whole ground.

Fan A has supported Brighton since 1978 and but can only afford to pay in 12 monthly instalments.
Fan B has never supported the club before but can pay the whole £500 upfront in July.

But on the whole, they might get 10,000 season ticket holders with option B, whereas they may get 18,000 with option A.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

Simple fact is the club can factor in the money lost from fan A by asking for a bigger monthly instalment than £ 500 devided by 12, and in any case they probably do that already when they determine the overall season ticket price using the 12 month DD option. But the numbers aren't even that simple because fan A, being more committed, is much more likely to purchase 'add ons' like programme and merchandise than fan B would.......

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Why would they? Commercial suicide! No business who's product costs upwards of a few hundred quid would ever dream of not providing credit terms.

Now, charging interest on those paying by DD.... I can see that happening!

Were they ever to do that I'd probably scale back the summer holiday, pay upfront and then save over the season for next year rather than pay "excessive" charges or carry on by instalments if it were a "reasonable" amount.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Why is our forum clever enough to say "you must wait 60s between posts" but not clever enough to say "I'm warning you that you must wait 60s between posts, but I'll post it anyway so you look like a tw*t who double posts!"

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure you understand what a DD is ? How is it "the never never" ? Does that mean I pay for my gas on the never never ? If you stop paying they cancel your season ticket - you're not entering into a credit agreement as far as I know.

As for the drip feed each month - you know it's automatic don't you ? Do don't actually have to do anything other than ensure there are funds to cover it and as most of us are paid monthly that's not likely to be a hardship.

What I mean by the never never is that its a continuous payment over 12 months, this year next year, you never stop paying.

All my bills are paid for by DD, so have an idea as to what they are, some of mine fixed some variable depending on whether the bill is a fixed amount or changeable,and invariably monthly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here