Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we were still at the Goldstone....

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If we were still at the Goldstone now and Tony Bloom was chairman I’m sure we’d be THE integral part of a huge reworking of the industrial estate housing the old Vokins/Archer owned Focus etc and the entire area from Sackville/Shoreham Road to Newtown Road down to Conway Street. It would’ve seen a new Football Stadium, new rail station and housing like Brentford are doing. It would probably have also included subsequent redevelopment of the Goldstone and its adjacent development footprint. It could’ve been a sensational development but unfortunately it is 25 years too late for the Albion

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think we'd be at a new stadium- but not at Falmer. A lot of the PR behind the Falmer campaign involved the idea that the club NEEDED a stadium to survive and this generated a lot of support from the public- I don't think that same support would have existed if we already had an adequate ground in place. Also Dick Knight was a superb propaganda machine and dealt with the media and the public- would a possibly less charismatic leader have had the same effect?

So it would have to have been somewhere much less controversial (no idea where that would have been to be honest), with fewer planning obstacles and vocal local residents- and possibly smaller- probably something similar to Bournemouth

If such a site existed, we’d be there now.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The only area I have had to park in Hove recently was Wish Road, this was on a Sunday as my lad had a football match in the park

My son used to play for West Hove Dynamos so I know the parking restrictions there off the top of my head! If a traffic warden did ever pass through the touchline was empty as all the parents went to drive round the block for 5 minutes. :wink:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You and others have made a similar point, obviously we'll never know but, yes, I accept that having a serviceable ground would have made getting permission for a new one massively more difficult. Especially in an area like Brighton and Hove constrained as it is by the Downs on one side and the sea on the other. (We all know the problems we had finding the Falmer site).

So that would have been us. Stuck at a re-developed Goldstone (perfectly adequate for club that's always been traditionally third-tier) and having to tailor our dreams accordingly. Would we have 'done a Wimbledon'? Probably not, but again we'll never know.

So, thank heavens for Archer, eh? :D

Chaos theory eh?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
If we were still at the Goldstone I'd be able to walk to the ground in 10 minutes which is great but I'd be royally annoyed at all the twunts parking in my road to go to the football.

I love the Amex but really miss the crowd size barometers like foot fall or parking.

We always drove down Shirley Drive and up over the hill to park in Corals club car park.

When we hit Goldstone Crescent if parking was scarce at the intersection of the two roads around 1/1.30 when we went to park we knew it stood a good chance of being a healthy crowd.

Great days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If we were still at the Goldstone, would the club even still exist today? :ohmy:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If we were still at the Goldstone now and Tony Bloom was chairman I’m sure we’d be THE integral part of a huge reworking of the industrial estate housing the old Vokins/Archer owned Focus etc and the entire area from Sackville/Shoreham Road to Newtown Road down to Conway Street. It would’ve seen a new Football Stadium, new rail station and housing like Brentford are doing. It would probably have also included subsequent redevelopment of the Goldstone and its adjacent development footprint. It could’ve been a sensational development but unfortunately it is 25 years too late for the Albion

My thoughts exactly, and exactly what I’d want to do if I won euro millions, that whole patch is a steaming chunk of shit presently.’and so close to the station really should be so much better

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If my mother had had a meat and two veg she would have been my dad.

OK, I'll bite.

I have absolutely no idea. It isn't something I think about. Life chucks things at us and we manage as best we can. Je ne regret rien. If I started down the 'what if' road I'd end up being sectioned.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Theres no saying bloom wouldnt have bought the club ,The Bloom family have BHA in their blood , Tony is not the first Bloom to be involved with us

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I know this kind of defeats your question, but if the Goldstone hadn't been ripped away from us, I think we'd now be at the Amex.

We just wouldn't have had the Gillingham and Withdean years in between.

This.

Probably with housing built rather than retail though.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If, if, if......we were still at our spiritual home that was ripped away from us.....how do you think it would look now? And where do you think we would be?

I’ll go for....

North Stand = turned into two tier all seated end holding 7,000
West Stand = turned into three tier holding 10,000
South Stand = after purchasing land behind, two tier stand holding 7,000
East Stand = single tier covered stand on pretty much original footprint holding 5,000 with away fans in North East corner.
Capacity = 29,000
Playing in the Championship b

Our spiritual home is Surrenden Field!

How I miss watching the Green Backs turning out. Ah well.

I’ll go for a capacity of 18000 and League 1 (basing it on nothing).

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My son used to play for West Hove Dynamos so I know the parking restrictions there off the top of my head! If a traffic warden did ever pass through the touchline was empty as all the parents went to drive round the block for 5 minutes. :wink:

I did speak to a parent from the Hove team about the parking and he said occasionally the wardens have a blitz and ticket all the parents cars.
I thought it was odd that the match kicked off at 10.30 during the no parking time, there was also a men's Sunday league game on the other full size pitch and a young kids match going on at the other side of the park, all playing at the same time.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I’d be sorted for parking as I work on Clarks trading estate down the bottom of Newtown road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here