Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we were still at the Goldstone....

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I doubt that we would be at the Amex/Falmer. If we still had the Goldstone there is no way we would have had the support of the council to move to a new site. In fact probably the opposite - a case of you have a home, upgrade it.

I was about to say the same. Perversely, it was the los of the Goldstone and the years in exile that persuaded the local council to even consider a project at Falmer or anywhere similar. Had we stayed at the Goldstone, I fear, without the stark decisions that were required, we'd still be there, with a max capacity of about 15k.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We'd have just turned into Coventry City for the south coast.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[QUOzTE=bhafc99;9225088]I know this kind of defeats your question, but if the Goldstone hadn't been ripped away from us, I think we'd now be at the Amex.

We just wouldn't have had the Gillingham and Withdean years in between.

I doubt that we would be at the Amex/Falmer. If we still had the Goldstone there is no way we would have had the support of the council to move to a new site. In fact probably the opposite - a case of you have a home, upgrade it.[/QUOTE]

Definitely this. We only narrowly got the Amex, thank you John Prescott. Our main argument would not have existed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In c1978 the club produced plans to improve the Goldstone - they were on display at Hove town hall for the public to view them. It comprised of (if my memory serves me well!) the West Stand being extended to the North Stand. The North Stand being rebuilt with executive boxes above the terracing. A roof being built over the East terrace. The capacity to be limited to 28,000.

The plan to share a stadium with Palace at Gatwick was just pie in the sky and never took off. ‘Scuse the pun! I must admit I never heard of a Waterhall development during the Bamber years - it might have worked back then.

In the Bamber era, wasn’t there was also the first proposal for a move to the quarries between Shoreham and Upper Beeding?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I doubt that we would be at the Amex/Falmer. If we still had the Goldstone there is no way we would have had the support of the council to move to a new site. In fact probably the opposite - a case of you have a home, upgrade it..

Not sure the Goldstone was a very cramped site, find it hard to believe more than 20k all seater could ever have been achieved and even then limited facilities with the land footprint

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
In the Bamber era, wasn’t there was also the first proposal for a move to the quarries between Shoreham and Upper Beeding?

think this was one of the sites under consideration as opposed to Falmer as well. I'm sure it was quickly dismissed- it's a huge site but would have been a logistical NIGHTMARE in terms of getting everyone there and away again

el punal

If we still played at the Goldstone I would be surprised if TB had taken over since there would be little chance of progression.
I guess we would be, at best mid Championship, probably Div 1. Our heroes on the pitch would be mix of free transferees , young loanees from bigger clubs and one or two foreigners who could not play at a higher level..

And you know? We would still be having great joy following the Albion :albion2:

Hmm. Not so sure about the great joy. Watching the Albion from 1965 to 1971 was pretty turgid with the FA Cup tie against Chelsea being the highlight. From the 1920s to 1958 we never got promoted, then two quick relegations to Div.4. The 1970s were something else though apart from a shock promotion in 1971/72 we were dog shit until Taylor, then Mullers, took over.

Since we moved from the Goldstone (apart from the Gillingham years) it’s all happened - 5 promotions, 3 playoffs, and now in our third season in the top flight.

So, yes, I suppose you could enjoy watching us play the likes of Walsall, Orient or Exeter year in, year out, but knowing that’s all you’re going to get is somewhat dispiriting.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I doubt that we would be at the Amex/Falmer. If we still had the Goldstone there is no way we would have had the support of the council to move to a new site. In fact probably the opposite - a case of you have a home, upgrade it.

Definitely this. We only narrowly got the Amex, thank you John Prescott. Our main argument would not have existed.[/QUOTE]

Without wishing to sound very pedantic, I thought it was Hazel Blears who finally gave the green light ?

Think she had a bit of trouble with her expenses not long after that.......

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Definitely this. We only narrowly got the Amex, thank you John Prescott. Our main argument would not have existed.

Without wishing to sound very pedantic, I thought it was Hazel Blears who finally gave the green light ?

Think she had a bit of trouble with her expenses not long after that.......[/QUOTE]

You’re right, I was thinking of the earlier call by Prescott. Then challenged.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
:D :D There's quite a few roads within 10 minutes walk of Goldstone site that don't have parking restrictions on. Guess it depends how fast you walk! Head north or northwest of there. Like someone else pointed out there'd be special football parking restrictions anyway.

The only area I have had to park in Hove recently was Wish Road, this was on a Sunday as my lad had a football match in the park.
Residents parking only- at certain times of the day ( when the match was being played) FFS, only about 4 pay parking bays in the road.
Drove round a few nearby streets and it seemed to be a similar set up.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In c1978 the club produced plans to improve the Goldstone - they were on display at Hove town hall for the public to view them. It comprised of (if my memory serves me well!) the West Stand being extended to the North Stand. The North Stand being rebuilt with executive boxes above the terracing. A roof being built over the East terrace. The capacity to be limited to 28,000.

The plan to share a stadium with Palace at Gatwick was just pie in the sky and never took off. ‘Scuse the pun! I must admit I never heard of a Waterhall development during the Bamber years - it might have worked back then.

Rather like the Gatwick proposal it was just talk and afaik there were never any designs, but it was definitely talked about. I do remember the Goldstone re-development plans, I wonder what the capacity would have been reduced to in the all-seater era?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was about to say the same. Perversely, it was the los of the Goldstone and the years in exile that persuaded the local council to even consider a project at Falmer or anywhere similar. Had we stayed at the Goldstone, I fear, without the stark decisions that were required, we'd still be there, with a max capacity of about 15k.

You and others have made a similar point, obviously we'll never know but, yes, I accept that having a serviceable ground would have made getting permission for a new one massively more difficult. Especially in an area like Brighton and Hove constrained as it is by the Downs on one side and the sea on the other. (We all know the problems we had finding the Falmer site).

So that would have been us. Stuck at a re-developed Goldstone (perfectly adequate for club that's always been traditionally third-tier) and having to tailor our dreams accordingly. Would we have 'done a Wimbledon'? Probably not, but again we'll never know.

So, thank heavens for Archer, eh? :D

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Goldstone was a great historical stadium, but now wrong time and wrong location for modern times.

I have spent my amex years taking my disabled dad to matches, the infrastructure that was afforded to him at the Amex is one of the best in the country, we did numerous away grounds in the past few years too and the Amex is by far one of the best grounds for disabled supporters in the country. The Goldstone would never have been able able to progress to this access.

Great memories, must never be forgotten, but sometimes you just have to move on.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
For those thinking the Goldstone could have been significantly expanded, here are satellite images at the same magnification:

Annotation 2020-01-30 095916.png

Annotation 2020-01-30 095758.png

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I seem to remember The Goldstone to be falling apart so would we have bothered renovating bit by bit or just tried to build a new stadium? Great memories nonetheless.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
:D :D There's quite a few roads within 10 minutes walk of Goldstone site that don't have parking restrictions on. Guess it depends how fast you walk! Head north or northwest of there. Like someone else pointed out there'd be special football parking restrictions anyway.

I'm guessing there were quite a few roads in Coldean/Moulscombe/Falmer that didn't have parking restrictions before the Amex was built and I would suggest that if the capacity of the Goldstone was able to have been increased, parking restrictions would have eventually come in.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There was a covenant covering the whole ground. No building higher than west stand

Can't remember how high the west stand actually was but thought the covenant referred to a height of 50' so three tiered stands were completely out of the question.

Let's be honest, the Goldstone was a dump (even when I started going in 76) but there were some great times there. That said, I much prefer watching football at Falmer.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There was space behind the north, (ie where the burgers and bogs were) if they had taken the roof off and built back to the road. Approx 3000 seats

There was definitely space behind the south. Could have bought the land (there was a car showroom, which I guess has gone now). Could have had a large stand there. Approx 4000 seats

West Stand could have been expanded all the way to the north. Approx 9000 seats

East Stand. Yes there was some sort of covenant about the roof, but getting out of that would have only required a relatively small amount of bribe money. Approx 5000 seats.

If some kind of compulsory purchase order could have been put in for the road and houses behind the east stand, that would have been the game changer. (however they're struggling to get that at Anfield) approx 12,000 seats

The above assumes all the corner areas where the floodlights were, were filled with seats.

With a lot of money and a fair wind in the courts, I think the Goldstone could have been retrofitted to about 21,000 seats. We would have nothing like the legroom we have now though. If we could have knocked down the houses on Fonthill Road, about 28,000.

I also believe the Stadium Tavern, would not have been converted to a Co-op.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here