Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we fail to get 3 points against charlton tomorrow

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If we fail to get 3 points against charlton tomorrow

There will be at least 5 Oscar out threads!

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
If we can't beat Charlton then that will sum our season up. Just not good enough for when it counts.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Why talk about failure ? Let's be positive and anticipate a victory after such a good midweek result.

Making play offs would be good but not doing so is hardly the end of the world. Let's face it , we are hardly a Premiership outfit - yet . We will be soon and then we will make it.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Why talk of failure ? Let's be positive and anticipate a victory after such a good midweek result.

Making play offs would be good but not doing so is hardly the end of the world. Let's face it , we are hardly a Premiership outfit - yet . We will be soon and then we will make it.

Quite right. Hardly any good us complaining about the team if the supporters are totally lacking in confidence.... We will score 4 or more (if he keeps to the same team).:thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
... and somewhere on a Charlton board there is a prediction...

Brighton 1 ( Stephens ) - Charlton 0

So 2-1 to Charlton with goals from Poyet and Obika and reply for us by Stephens

If we lose I think we can wave bye bye to the playoffs but if we then win the next game we might be saying hello to the playoffs again :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Disagree entirely with this. I think Charlton would see a point from this game as an excellent result, which would leave them in pretty good shape. They'll come set up to grind out a point, IMO.

Disagree entirely with this. I think Charlton will sit back for the first ten minutes. Then realise we're doing the same. Then they'll really go for it. Then we'll really struggle.

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
Why talk about failure ? Let's be positive and anticipate a victory after such a good midweek result.

Good post, if we attack them from the start with pace it won't matter what tactics they employ, we will be too strong for them

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Disagree entirely with this. I think Charlton will sit back for the first ten minutes. Then realise we're doing the same. Then they'll really go for it. Then we'll really struggle.

Are they capable of REALLY GOING FOR IT or will they hope to pick us off like so many teams have managed to do at the Amex this season. Any team that really goes for us at the Amex tends to get well beaten more often than not. Not many do go for it though, Charlton won't be one of them

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Are they capable of REALLY GOING FOR IT or will they hope to pick us off like so many teams have managed to do at the Amex this season. Any team that really goes for us at the Amex tends to get well beaten more often than not. Not many do go for it though, Charlton won't be one of them

Just about every team I've seen at the Amex this season has looked to have a more direct and coherent attacking policy than ourselves, irrespective of their league position or number of games since last away win. I'd define that as REALLY GOING FOR IT.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Disagree entirely with this. I think Charlton would see a point from this game as an excellent result, which would leave them in pretty good shape. They'll come set up to grind out a point, IMO.

Yup.

They will 100% turn up for a point. The new gaffer has got them reasonably well organised so it's important we don't panic if we fail to score early. Play with a high tempo all game and it will come. This is our hardest game of the run-in, IMO.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
As someone just said, Charlton simply don't have the players to "really go for it". All things considered we'll likely park the bus and hope to nick one late on. Based on recent performances, it'll either end 3-0 or 0-1, with the former being far more likely (75%-25% I reckon).

On a separate note, I'm supposed to be meeting some mates in Lewes before the game - are they OK with people using their match ticket free travel to get off/change there, or will I need to buy a separate train ticket? Cheers.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just about every team I've seen at the Amex this season has looked to have a more direct and coherent attacking policy than ourselves, irrespective of their league position or number of games since last away win. I'd define that as REALLY GOING FOR IT.

So your definition of really going for it is defend deep and try and catch us on the break? Not the same as mine:shrug:

Hoofing the ball out of defence and catching us on the break when a team have been defending for 20 mins is not really a coherent attacking policy but I'll agree it is direct.

If these teams you talk of have been that good I must have missed the games as I haven't seen us outplayed by anybody. i've seen quite a bit of poor defending and iffy goalkeeping for most of the goals we have conceded though, mostly by teams hitting us on the break. TOTALLY different from really going for it imo

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So your definition of really going for it is defend deep and try and catch us on the break? Not the same as mine:shrug:

Hoofing the ball out of defence and catching us on the break when you have been defending for 20 mins is not really a coherent attacking policy but I'll agree it is direct.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

'Catching us on the break' suggests we've been mounting an all-out attack in the first place. And that just doesn't happen at the Amex :shrug:

And before anybody suggests that opposition teams spend countless hours analysing videos, trying to 'work us out'. They almost certainly don't. They only need the first ten minutes of a game at the Amex to work us out. Then they REALLY GO FOR IT.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Hoofing the ball out of defence and catching us on the break when a team have been defending for 20 mins is not really a coherent attacking policy but I'll agree it is direct.

If these teams you talk of have been that good I must have missed the games as I haven't seen us outplayed by anybody. i've seen quite a bit of poor defending and iffy goalkeeping for most of the goals we have conceded though, mostly by teams hitting us on the break. TOTALLY different from really going for it imo

Of the teams that have beaten and drawn with us, only Forest have taken it to us and outplayed us. QPR were extremely good as well, but contrived to shoot wide, their attempts were blocked by our well organised defence and, when not, Top Kat stepped in.
I know it's something that lots of teams would like to do, but Liverpool have really come out at the start of games with intense drive and energy, leading to them defeating their opponents in the first quarter of the game: would be nice if we could add this to our repertoire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here