Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If the Germans had invaded Britain during WW2 what would the result have been.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Robert Harris wrote a book called Fatherland which dealt with the situation where the Germans not only invaded but won the war, he didn't envisage a world where freedom of speech was high on the government's agenda!

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
There's a Black Book called the Sonderfahndungsliste G.B which was issued to special SS units. This contained a list of all those that were to be arrested on a succesful invasion of Britain. You still buy a reprint and it makes quite scary reading.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We'd be world champions and still talking about the 7-1 against Brazil

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
UMkgM1h.jpg

pSZmWh5.jpg

inm4U1X4f5xGG.gif

Robert Harris wrote a book called Fatherland which dealt with the situation where the Germans not only invaded but won the war, he didn't envisage a world where freedom of speech was high on the government's agenda!

Good novel, but I recall they "won" because they discovered that Enigma had been broken, won the Battle of the Atlantic as a result with Britain surrendering in 1944 due to the attrition that resulted. They didn't have to invade.

Len Deighton's "SS-GB" takes place in a Britain that has been successfully invaded.

From the comfort of a computer keyboard and nearly 75 years of of time elapsed the answer is surely "don't know" but most of the theories seem to point towards failure due to difficulty of resupply, lack of aircraft capable of sinking capital ships and inferior naval strength.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

first two would have sorted them
but poor old Freddy (and I love him to bits) would never have got here he came from Zanzibar and I wish I could have got my hands on his stamps and postal history of that place, along with Heir Hitlers

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Good novel, but I recall they "won" because they discovered that Enigma had been broken, won the Battle of the Atlantic as a result with Britain surrendering in 1944 due to the attrition that resulted. They didn't have to invade.

Len Deighton's "SS-GB" takes place in a Britain that has been successfully invaded.

From the comfort of a computer keyboard and nearly 75 years of of time elapsed the answer is surely "don't know" but most of the theories seem to point towards failure due to difficulty of resupply, lack of aircraft capable of sinking capital ships and inferior naval strength.

I have read that book and thought it was great.

That clearly does not add to this thread though.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Saw a mock up programme a few years back ,where The British fell back to The Hogs Back near Farnham where The Germans were defeated at The Battle of Waverley Abbey .There are still plenty of Pill Boxes in the area and defence structures.

Jan 30, 2008

Look no further than the RAF sinking the Turpitz with tall boys in Norway:eek:
regards
DR

Dandyman

In London village.
If the Germans had successfully invaded then the Channel Islands give a good illustration of what might have happened next. Collaboration by the ruling classes, lots of people keeping their heads down and a small number of active resistance fighters.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
Germany had a stupidly large army, that was all pretty well trained and equipped, they'd have crushed us if they had gotten here. Presuming that they wouldn't have invaded Russia and finished off the western front instead. That said if our navy 'played a blinder' they wouldn't have gotten much here...

The UK 'lost' over 380k soldiers in that war.
The Germans 'lost' over 5.5 million, 80% of them fighting the Russians.

http://www.secondworldwarhistory.com/world-war-2-statistics.asp

I think the expert view is that the Navy would have destroyed any invasion force which would have been sunk in the Channel. Hitler probably knew that. Also I think a good part of the RAF had been withdrawn to the Midlands ready to attack any invasion. So very few Germans would have got to the landing beaches

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
There was a war game played out some years ago with the germans landing on the sussex coast. In the scenario played out, they were pinned down and wiped out by heavy artillery behind the downs and bombing from the air.
It was also though that the german invasion barges, being flat bottomed, could be capsized by the wake of a destroyer flotilla running at full speed through the formation.

Don't be daft, they would have come hidden on articulated lorries

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
They tried they lost. It was called the battle of Britain. They needed air supremacy and were stopped by the RAF . The Germans made the huge mistake of invading Russia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here