Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If the Euro's started tomorrow, would you start/bring Wayne Rooney?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
To answer my own question from yesterday about 5 strikers here's the squad that is favourite to be picked according to the odds

Gk Hart, Forster, Heaton
FB Clyne, Walker, Bertrand and Rose
CB Smalling, Cahill, Jagielka and Stones
Mid Henderson, Milner, Ali, Dier, lallana, Walcott, Sterling
For Rooney, Welbeck, Vardy, Kane, Sturridge

Wilshere, Jones, The ox, Drinkwater and Baines all odds against making it. Presumably 5 strikers go as Welbeck can play wide.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Sturridge as back-up then Rooney for me...... not a Welbeck fan (not that seen him much as don't watch Prem stuff so opinion might not be that solid)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
To answer my own question from yesterday about 5 strikers here's the squad that is favourite to be picked according to the odds

Gk Hart, Forster, Heaton
FB Clyne, Walker, Bertrand and Rose
CB Smalling, Cahill, Jagielka and Stones
Mid Henderson, Milner, Ali, Dier, lallana, Walcott, Sterling
For Rooney, Welbeck, Vardy, Kane, Sturridge

Wilshere, Jones, The ox, Drinkwater and Baines all odds against making it. Presumably 5 strikers go as Welbeck can play wide.

No Barkley?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Like others, I'd bring him but has to be Kane and Vardy to start.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Where does Rooney go if he leaves Man Utd? I doubt any of Europe's biggest clubs will be that keen on him now, and the top Premier League sides will probably look elsewhere instead.

Apparently the Chinese Super League have already made enquiries about the possibility of Rooney linking up with Sven at Shanghai SIPG being most likely destination out there. Think the landscape of football is definitely going to change drastically over coming years, especially with clubs out there offering players 25m a season. Lavezzi, Ramirez, Jackson Martinez and Alex Teixeira won't be the last players who could still comfortably play for top European clubs venturing over.

strangersam

Dec 20, 2015
imo rooney is one of our most crucial players. he gives us so much composure in attack, something you lose with an attacking four of twenty year olds.
I'd have kane up front, rooney just behind him, and alli on the left or right - a position he has played often this season.
I hate this negativity around rooney from bitter england fans, and especially the way we always manage to turn something great (3-2 germany) into something negative

strangersam

Dec 20, 2015
Let's be honest we were second best at half time and lucky to be only one down. England's improvement came when the system changed to 4 4 2, if we play this system it has to be Kane and Vardy. However if we only play one up front I would play Rooney behind Kane.

The great thing about England at present is that we have got a manager with not only Plan B but C and onwards, he is very flexible with the systems. Great to see and well done Roy Hodgson.

playing 442 would be suicide against teams like spain and germany at their best in a tournement

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Squad only for me; as an experienced player in a squad light on caps.

I'm in the Rooney is rather overrated camp I'm afraid. May (unfortunately) be England's record scorer but has looked well short of the top players and rarely impressed at the big tournaments.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He no longer has the pace, energy and power any more, he's been past his best for a while now. He may bag a few against your Slovenia's and Albania's in qualifying, but once he's up against top-end opposition, I don't think he can cut it any more. You can't play him up front because Kane is a shoe-in. You can't play him in the no10 role behind him, because Alli has already come in and made that place his own, so dropping (or shifting) either of those to accommodate Rooney at the moment would be counter-productive. Added to the fact he's in his usual race for fitness in the run-up to a tournament, and I just do not see a place for him. He's been a great player for England over the years, but we have a new side emerging now that we should be building on.

However, I fear Roys loyalty to his old guard will ensure Rooney is on the plane, even if he's limping up the steps.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He no longer has the pace, energy and power any more, he's been past his best for a while now. He may bag a few against your Slovenia's and Albania's in qualifying, but once he's up against top-end opposition, I don't think he can cut it any more. You can't play him up front because Kane is a shoe-in. You can't play him in the no10 role behind him, because Alli has already come in and made that place his own, so dropping (or shifting) either of those to accommodate Rooney at the moment would be counter-productive. Added to the fact he's in his usual race for fitness in the run-up to a tournament, and I just do not see a place for him. He's been a great player for England over the years, but we have a new side emerging now that we should be building on.

However, I fear Roys loyalty to his old guard will ensure Rooney is on the plane, even if he's limping up the steps.

If he manages to get in a 5+ games for MU and shows some form, I'd take him. 30 years old, he's played in some poor MU sides recently, and some poor England ones too - he has contributed to that of course, but I don't see Sturridge being a better option to be honest if you're talking about fitness. Wouldn't start for me, but then he's an experienced impact player to have coming off the bench. If he doesn't get any games in to the end of the season, then I agree with you, he shouldn't be going. In tournament football Kane / Alli / Vardy / Barclay aren't going to be able to play every minute of every game, so Rooney is a great option in the squad if fit.

If there was someone of genuine quality who'd be left out through his inclusion then I'd tend to agree with you, don't think there is though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Squad only for me; as an experienced player in a squad light on caps.

I'm in the Rooney is rather overrated camp I'm afraid. May (unfortunately) be England's record scorer but has looked well short of the top players and rarely impressed at the big tournaments.

Have Messi / Ronaldo / Zlatan impressed at major tournaments?

I'm not putting them in the same bracket, but the same can also be said.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Has to go if fit and in form. Start? I think you can only judge when you see him in the group. What we had the Sat night was pace on the counter and fantastic closing down especially from the front. Can Rooney work in that sort of a structure? I think he can but he is under severe pressure for sure. More worrying for me will be if Hodgson goes back to his more standard deep defensive structure which negates so much of what was good on Saturday.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

I'm agreeing with you BUT didn't Messi pick up the best player (Golden...something?) award at the last WC?

Admittedly, it seemed that it was only to avoid James Rodriguez lifting every award available but still...

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

Both Portugal and Sweden are far too reliant on one player to make things happen in recent tournaments / qualifying - something which is in stark contrast to what Germany and Spain have had. Having a player that much above everyone else isn't always a blessing - as can make a team very one dimensional and predictable. The England teams had a similar problem with Rooney - to get the best out of him you really need to build the team around him.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
playing 442 would be suicide against teams like spain and germany at their best in a tournement

We need to stop worrying about the opposition and play to our own strength which means playing two up top with two wingers and two over lapping full backs.

Hodgson has shown he has a squad capable of playing different systems but start as if you saw to win games and not one up front.

Kane and Vardy for me but Rooney on the bench.

strangersam

Dec 20, 2015
We need to stop worrying about the opposition and play to our own strength which means playing two up top with two wingers and two over lapping full backs.

Hodgson has shown he has a squad capable of playing different systems but start as if you saw to win games and not one up front.

Kane and Vardy for me but Rooney on the bench.

if we were to play both kane and vardy, we should have kane up front and vardy on the left.
I agree we need to play to our strengths, of which lie in our attack, but of course we need to think about the opposistion to some extent! and i believe 442 is an obsolete formation at the highest level

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
imo rooney is one of our most crucial players. he gives us so much composure in attack, something you lose with an attacking four of twenty year olds.
I'd have kane up front, rooney just behind him, and alli on the left or right - a position he has played often this season.
I hate this negativity around rooney from bitter england fans, and especially the way we always manage to turn something great (3-2 germany) into something negative

I'd agree with all of this.

I think some of the comments in this thread are crazy.

Any of the top Premier League sides would sign Rooney at this moment in time - and a whole lot of top European clubs would as well.

17 goals in 36 appearances for club and country this season. That hardly warrants all the negativity surrounding him currently does it? His game has never been all about goals anyway.

As you say - we need his composure and experience in the team. Alli for example played great the other day, and at this point should be a starter, but Rooney would never have missed the chances he did, particularly the one from the Vardy pull-back.

As I said in the other thread, people expect Rooney to be better than he actually is and because of that, they rate him as a poor player, when in reality he is far from it.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I'm agreeing with you BUT didn't Messi pick up the best player (Golden...something?) award at the last WC?

Admittedly, it seemed that it was only to avoid James Rodriguez lifting every award available but still...

Play of the tournament yes, but I think most people at the time were in complete agreement that was a ridiculous decision - even the incredibly biased Barca fans. He didn't score a single goal in the knock-out stages and didn't even come close to his levels for Barca - although the season preceding that WC he was relatively poor for Barca as well.

The fact is Rooney, for whatever reason, gets a lot of unfair press when you consider what other 'top' players have done at the big tournaments. Maybe if we supported him a bit more he might have the confidence to do better?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here