Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If the Euro's started tomorrow, would you start/bring Wayne Rooney?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Squad player now, put him on, let him run around for the last 10 minutes and watch him get a yellow card for trying to kick someone up the arse.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Squad, definitely not a starter. Kane and Vardy are far more suited to the type of football we need to play to win games, and if one of them isn't available then Sturridge or Welbeck are the next best. If your looking at dropping him a little further back then both Alli and Barkley offer more than Rooney can these days. For me he neither possesses the ability or desire to succeed on the international stage.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
He plays like he's shot to bits.

To win you should take the best players, not the biggest names.

John Terry hasn't been picked since 2012.

I agree, squad player maybe. Not a starter for me. If he was in the squad though he may have too big an ego to sit on the bench as a 'super' sub. Potentially could be a disrupting influence.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hodgson has an opportunity to play this really coolly. Have the balls to start with Vardy and Kane and see how Rooney reacts to being a bench player. GIven that for the last ten years he's been the main main and failed in tournaments it may well be he'll contribute more effectively from the bench.

Indeed, it may fire him up. I don't think he'll have a problem being demoted, as he's still a part of a dangerous team. The issue might be that old chestnut - the England captaincy. I think Cahill should get that gig.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Depends on his (Rooney's) character.

(As i'd previously posted in another thread)
Would Rooney accept a place on the bench and still encourage his team mates, etc or would he be disruptive and a bad influence on moral within the camp if he was left out of the 1st XI? - my feeling is that if dropped to the bench he would show his unhappiness, just like he snapped at fans in South Africa during the poor World Cup campaign we had there.

Team unity is massive, and you don't want people in the squad that will threaten this and divide the squad no matter how good they are (see pretty much any recent France tournament team)

The management team are the ones who know the player and which category he is likely to fall into. It's hard to leave the country's top scorer out of a tournament and he would offer a different style of player up front which could give England more versatility in tactics and formation so probably should go if he has that sense of team above self attitude, whether he should start if he goes is a different question.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I suspect the players would want Rooney there, while the manager definitely wants him, so in terms of squad unity I don't think his attitude or commitment can be questioned. It comes down more to whether a bloke on the wrong side of thirty in a team playing high tempo counter-attacking football can play 7 matches in a month.

The fact he's been injured and been part of a mediocre Man Utd side for the last two years doesn't help him while the Spurs, Leicester and Liverpool players look fresh and inspired.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The fact he's been injured and been part of a mediocre Man Utd side for the last two years doesn't help him while the Spurs, Leicester and Liverpool players look fresh and inspired.

Where does Rooney go if he leaves Man Utd? I doubt any of Europe's biggest clubs will be that keen on him now, and the top Premier League sides will probably look elsewhere instead. Would he really join the Premier League also-rans? someone like Stoke, and on a lot less money than he currently gets at Man Utd?

I can see him retiring if Man Utd run his contract out. The only other alternative i can see that keeps him in the game would be if some big spending team in the United States, China or alike offer him one last massive pay day.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i would take him along as team mascot......gimp suit and collar and chain.

seriously i would probably say you would have to include him in the squad but he would not be an automatic starter by any stretch , personally i would leave him out all together but i think he would make a good impact sub .............he will need to prove he is 100% fit and raring to go.......i don't think woy has the nuts to leave him out.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Assuming Vardy, Kane, Sturridge and Wlebeck are shoe-ins, which English striker is better than Rooney to take the final space ? Imagine England are one down against Slovakia who would you want to bring on , Rooney or Walcott ?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
He makes the squad and Roy will probably start him. Personally I would start with Vardy and Kane.

The other two strikers I would take are Sturridge and Welbeck.
Actually I'd be tempted to start with Rooney and bring on Vardy.

Hope people aren't getting too carried away with Saturday's result. Yes it was good but I've heard worrying talk that on the back of that one result we're now 'one of the favourites' for the Euros. ARRRGH! It's always feast or famine with England isn't it? Either the team is shit and full of overrated tossers who don't care, or they're world-beaters simply awaiting coronation.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We don't have enough quality throughout the squad to win the tournament. Leaving behind our leading goalscorer isn't the wisest move.

Rooney will go and start because he is captain. However he has done very little in a United shirt for a few years, but has done pretty well for England over a similar period.

We are weak defensively, 10 years ago we could have taken a squad full of decent defenders but currently we don't have a leader at the back or much experience.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Let's be honest we were second best at half time and lucky to be only one down. England's improvement came when the system changed to 4 4 2, if we play this system it has to be Kane and Vardy. However if we only play one up front I would play Rooney behind Kane.

The great thing about England at present is that we have got a manager with not only Plan B but C and onwards, he is very flexible with the systems. Great to see and well done Roy Hodgson.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Take him as a Squad player, he is miles better than Welbeck and Walcott.

I suspect the one that will miss out is Vardy, Roy will take Walcott/Welbeck over Vardy and with Rooney back he will take his place.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
In the start XI from the Germany game, I would pick Rooney ahead of both Wellbeck and Lallana. Madness to even consider leaving him out of the squad

Lallana is so so Average, how Southampton got £25 million for him is beyond me and how he was on the pitch ahead of Barkley is also odd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here