Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Sky had to drop

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't really consider Nick Knight to be part of the A-star line-up, so although he's undoubtedly tedious, I wouldn't say he's my answer to this question.

As usual with Sky, their coverage of cricket is phenomenal and I like pretty much all of their commentators. Bob Willis is possibly my favourite pundit on any channel and for any sport. The way he just tears into people is wonderful to watch. In the commentary team, I think Atherton is the best technically, and Botham, Bumble, Warne and Nasser are quite fun and easy to listen to as they don't seem to take it too seriously. Strauss has also been a good addition for the reasons mentioned above by other people. If I had to pick a weak link, I'd probably go for Michael Holding, who seems to be anti-England at times and doesn't really say anything even an unqualified pleb like me couldn't offer.

I wouldn't say 'anti-England', just NOT 'pro-England'. Which is presumably the POINT of having a non-English pundit on the team?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I don't really consider Nick Knight to be part of the A-star line-up, so although he's undoubtedly tedious, I wouldn't say he's my answer to this question.

As usual with Sky, their coverage of cricket is phenomenal and I like pretty much all of their commentators. Bob Willis is possibly my favourite pundit on any channel and for any sport. The way he just tears into people is wonderful to watch. In the commentary team, I think Atherton is the best technically, and Botham, Bumble, Warne and Nasser are quite fun and easy to listen to as they don't seem to take it too seriously. Strauss has also been a good addition for the reasons mentioned above by other people. If I had to pick a weak link, I'd probably go for Michael Holding, who seems to be anti-England at times and doesn't really say anything even an unqualified pleb like me couldn't offer.

Apart from quite enjoying Nick Knight's contributions... I agree about Mike Holding, although his voice and accent are great to listen to, the content is severely lacking!

Stumpy Tim

Botham is utter TOILET as a commentator. There's a reason he was a shit England captain - because he doesn't know the game well enough... he just happened to be bloody good at it. I remember chatting to Vaughany at my mates wedding, and he said the exact same about Freddie

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The beauty of Willis is that he speaks his mind frankly, and that's what makes watching "The Verdict" worthwhile. If someone deserves to be slaughtered he'll slaughter them. How often do you see that in football commentary?

Harmison used always get both barrels from Willis regularly, and deservedly so.

Highly entertaining.

Shane Warne is also an excellent commentator, always interesting listening to him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is absolutely true, but do you not think it would be quite boring if you had two cricket nerds like Atherton commentating together? I think Sky have the balance right between experts and entertainers.

Athers and Warne for me is the best combination.

Not sure about BUMBLE to be honest. Some days I find his jocular style amusing. Sometimes he can get pretty tedious.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Botham is utter TOILET as a commentator. There's a reason he was a shit England captain - because he doesn't know the game well enough... he just happened to be bloody good at it. I remember chatting to Vaughany at my mates wedding, and he said the exact same about Freddie

Flintoff must be just about the ONLY (retired) England captain of the last twenty years NOT to be given a ticket on the Murdoch gravy train?

Gower, Botham, Hussain, Vaughan, Atherton, Butcher and now Strauss.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Sir Ian or Nasser for me.

Sir Ian is like a poor mans Boycott these days, Nasser's voice grates me.

Strauss I'm not that keen on but as others have said the window into the current set up is quite nice. I'd imagine they must be kicking themselves they missed out on Vaughn, he has a tremendous cricket brain when I hear him on TMS.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
On the other side, I think Athers is the best of the bunch, very astute but can be witty and engaging as well. I love Bumble's sense of fun, he'd be missed if he went as the rest of the team can be a little himourless and dry. He's also a mssive Fall fan which means he's great in my book. I could listen to Holding all day long, he has the most amazing voice.

I used to like Warne, he grates me now. He bangs on about the same stuff time and time again.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I'm with you on Willis as it happens, I think he's much undervalued by the bods at Sky.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think they have the mix about right. Strauss is interesting at the moment and I am looking forward to hearing his anecdotes about Hussain, that were threatened at the end of the last Test. Botham is a laugh as he rarely gets anything right. Atherton always asks the awkward questions. Bumble is just a loveable oaf. Holding is OK when talking about bowling. I find Hussain the most annoying.

Stumpy Tim

This is absolutely true, but do you not think it would be quite boring if you had two cricket nerds like Atherton commentating together? I think Sky have the balance right between experts and entertainers.

You can be entertaining and have a clue. I like Warne as he really knows his onions, but he's pretty funny too.

The dream team for me is Warne with Athers or Gower

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here