Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If poyet gets the Sunderland job

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
They are far more likely to know the true facts about what transpired than you or I do. IF they appoint GP as manager then it will be a bigger vote of confidence for him than it is for our board.

I know some of the facts and they don't show Mr. Poyet in a particularly good light. I don't know the full story but I do know what happened at another club, in March, involving GP. On the basis of that, I'm glad he's gone and if Sunderland know what I know, I would be very surprised if they appoint him.

shaunslats

Mar 6, 2013
Magrathea
IF poyet gets the sunderland job and IF he tries to buy bridcutt I think Andrews or Ince are very capable replacements and I would think its £££ earned rather than player lost

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If gus gets the Sunderland job which I am not sure he will considering the similarities between his sacking & de canio's.

Will he try to prize bridcutt & Leo away from the Amex in January,I would be very suprised if he didn't.

They will be looking at better players than we have have here in Sussex.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Odd world, football management. A place where you can publicly fook up big time, get fired, yet 6 months later someone else wants to pay the same person big money to do the same.

As opposed to, say, politics, where you can go to gaol and come out to the same job.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think we are being rather conceited if we think Sunderland, managed by GP or not, are particularly interested in either Ulloa or Bridcutt

Managed by Poyet, I think they would be.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What are Sunderland thinking of!......they must need their heads tested.
Surely to God they are aware of what has gone on at BHA and the acrimonious nature of his departure. Have they not stopped to consider what he was up to at our club. If they are happy considering someone, who quite clearly, put himself above the club, the players and the fans, fine. Thats their choice.
Let alone, is he actually good enough to manage at that level? He is charasmatic and people are attracted to him but scrape below the charm and is there enough substance there? How thoughtful and imaginative is he? Is he pro-active within games, making quick and decisive decisions? How good a man-manager is he? Can he handle players with big egos and reputations or will he try and squash them like flies ( a la Vicente )
In short...is he just a slicker, smoother version of Di Canio? Not as raw-bloodedly outwardly emotional but cut from similar cloth. Very good players in their time with high expectations of the players they manage. Ambitious and ruthlessly self-centred but ultimately, victims of their own egos.

Careful, you'll bring TLO and his ilk to tears.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
They are far more likely to know the true facts about what transpired than you or I do. IF they appoint GP as manager then it will be a bigger vote of confidence for him than it is for our board.

No it won't. Sunderland have form in risky appointments. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you PDC...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No it won't. Sunderland have form in risky appointments. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you PDC...

No, you're wrong. Sunderland are far more likely to know the facts about what transpired in Italy. (Apparently PDC was simply doing a poor impression of Superman)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
1 appointment is hardly 'form'.

It shows they can make a huge mistake in appointing a volatile manager (and, yes, PDC is more volatile than Gus).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No, you're wrong. Sunderland are far more likely to know the facts about what transpired in Italy. (Apparently PDC was simply doing a poor impression of Superman)

The current regime at Sunderland undoubtedly messed up with their last managerial appointment. It therefore proves NOTHING about the validity of Gus' / our club's respective cases if they chose to appoint Gus.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Gus could be guilty of everything he is accused of and more, he could admit it to Sunderland, or almost any club, and he could still be hired if they think he can do a job. Look at all the convicted criminals that have been given jobs by various clubs up and down the country, lee hughes, marlon king, luke mccormick, etc.

If they can provide something to a club, that club will overlook any discipline problems, perhaps thinking they've learned their lesson/served their time or that this time it will be different.

People who are fired for various disciplinary reasons will still be able to find work (in most cases in their chosen profession, obviously excepting where there are legal requirements CRBs etc)

Sunderland, or anyone, hiring or not hiring Gus is not in any way an indication of his innocence/guilt, simply whether they think he is the best option for their job at that time.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The current regime at Sunderland undoubtedly messed up with their last managerial appointment.

Didn't he keep them in the premier league?

I'd say he met his first, and most important goal.

After that he has clearly lost the plot, but Sunderland's board took the necessary steps to insure e safety when just above the relegation zone, in horrendous form, and under a previous manager of little "wow-factor". He kept them up.

I imagine, all along, they knew this was more than likely a short term appointment, but with no transfer windows between sacking O'Neil and appointing a new manager they knew they needed a reactionary coach. No standardised, neutral manager would have done. They went for the most out there, it worked.

They gave him a two and a half year deal, but I'd be amazed if they ever thought he'd make it that far. Paying him two years compensation to assure safety in the premier league going into their most lucrative ever season is more than worth it. The fact they've give him no time would also back up this argument.

My take on it anyway.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Gus could be guilty of everything he is accused of and more, he could admit it to Sunderland, or almost any club, and he could still be hired if they think he can do a job. Look at all the convicted criminals that have been given jobs by various clubs up and down the country, lee hughes, marlon king, luke mccormick, etc.

If they can provide something to a club, that club will overlook any discipline problems, perhaps thinking they've learned their lesson/served their time or that this time it will be different.

People who are fired for various disciplinary reasons will still be able to find work (in most cases in their chosen profession, obviously excepting where there are legal requirements CRBs etc)

Sunderland, or anyone, hiring or not hiring Gus is not in any way an indication of his innocence/guilt, simply whether they think he is the best option for their job at that time.

Whilst taking onboard your comments, all the players mentioned above have been involved in issues away from their place of work. Gus was suspended for his actions within his workplace. All those players received bad press and suffered punishment in a court of law and from their employers.
As far as I know, none of those players actions in anyway affected the playing side of their respective clubs, other than their obvious unavailability. Criminal behaviour by a footballer, away from his place of work, does not usually have a lasting impact on the club itself.
On the other hand, misbehaviour by a manager, at his place of work, can have far-reaching effects, as we saw at BHA. It could be argued that it cost us a place in the PL and £100m.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
It's only natural for us to be concerned about Gus cherry picking our best players, but with the greatest respect to Leo and Bridders, I can't help but feel that Mr Poyet with all that Sunderland cash in his pocket will look elsewhere. That's if PDC hasn't blown it all already!

According to Gus, our financial clout was piss poor, so we chased Leo for eighteen months because he was identified as the best we could afford, and it has turned out to be a great bit of business. He will chase the best he can afford again, and I feel that will be someone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here