Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If poyet gets the Sunderland job

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If gus gets the Sunderland job which I am not sure he will considering the similarities between his sacking & de canio's.

Will he try to prize bridcutt & Leo away from the Amex in January,I would be very suprised if he didn't.

I'm pretty certain we won't deal with Poyet at all if he is still instigating legal action against us.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If we are in a strong position in Jan why would we sell 10 million for arguments sake for Leo wouldn't touch the 80 million you fetch for promotion. I wish people would stop wetting themselves with this obsession that we are still a selling club were not.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is how I think things will pan out if Poyet gets the job:

1. Sunderland lose their next two matches under their caretaker manager. With the window closed Gus forced to look at the 14 new players.
2. Sunderland up their game and begin to pick up points, go above Palace and draw level with Hull and Cardiff by the end of November.
3. Gus calls off the court case, makes his peace with Bloom.
4. Poyet realises he needs to bring in a goalscorer and lines up a cheeky bid for Ulloa (£4mill). Ulloa destabilised, goes off the boil BUT CMS returns with decent form and keeps the ship on course. Bloom tells Gus to do one over Ulloa.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
As I said on the other thread, Sunderland spent big on 14 players in the summer. They weren't PDC's choices (which was part of the problem) but Roberto De Fanti's. I can't see any way that Sunderland would spend any serious money in January. Sunderland think they have the right players for the job and the manager has to work with them; if the board wouldn't allow PDC to get in the players he wanted, why would they allow Poyet?

One of the reasons I don't think Poyet takes this job

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
One of the reasons I don't think Poyet takes this job

Although having spent the last half hour reading a bunch of press articles it seems like he will. Thought he would hold on for one of the others that will come along in next few weeks

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I think we are being rather conceited if we think Sunderland, managed by GP or not, are particularly interested in either Ulloa or Bridcutt

I think quite the opposite - most managers have favourites (how many times has Redknapp signed Krancjar?!) - and it was fairly obvious bridders was one of Gus', and a a fair assumption Leo would have become one. I'd be extremely surprised if at least one of them wasn't targeted by them in Jan if Gus is there. Don't think Tony will want to sell but if it's a prem club often the player will force it through if they want it enough...

It's the reason I've always hoped gus would end up at some Spanish second div club.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
I think we are being rather conceited if we think Sunderland, managed by GP or not, are particularly interested in either Ulloa or Bridcutt

2 of the hottest properties in the Championship? Both would improve their squad dramatically.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
As Reading allegedly did with Adkins and his Saints court case will Sunderland make Gus dropping his case part of the deal?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What are Sunderland thinking of!......they must need their heads tested.
Surely to God they are aware of what has gone on at BHA and the acrimonious nature of his departure. Have they not stopped to consider what he was up to at our club. If they are happy considering someone, who quite clearly, put himself above the club, the players and the fans, fine. Thats their choice.
Let alone, is he actually good enough to manage at that level? He is charasmatic and people are attracted to him but scrape below the charm and is there enough substance there? How thoughtful and imaginative is he? Is he pro-active within games, making quick and decisive decisions? How good a man-manager is he? Can he handle players with big egos and reputations or will he try and squash them like flies ( a la Vicente )
In short...is he just a slicker, smoother version of Di Canio? Not as raw-bloodedly outwardly emotional but cut from similar cloth. Very good players in their time with high expectations of the players they manage. Ambitious and ruthlessly self-centred but ultimately, victims of their own egos.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Surely to God they are aware of what has gone on at BHA and the acrimonious nature of his departure. Have they not stopped to consider what he was up to at our club. If they are happy considering someone, who quite clearly, put himself above the club, the players and the fans, fine. Thats their choice.
Let alone, is he actually good enough to manage at that level? He is charasmatic and people are attracted to him but scrape below the charm and is there enough substance there? How thoughtful and imaginative is he? Is he pro-active within games, making quick and decisive decisions? How good a man-manager is he? Can he handle players with big egos and reputations or will he try and squash them like flies ( a la Vicente )
In short...is he just a slicker, smoother version of Di Canio? Not as raw-bloodedly outwardly emotional but cut from similar cloth. Very good players in their time with high expectations of the players they manage. Ambitious and ruthlessly self-centred but ultimately, victims of their own egos.

Good post although have Sunderland stated that they want Gus? I thought that the candidate list was just bookies odds and supposition from the press.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Two players, untried at the top level, for a club where risk taking is not the order of the day but rather consolidation and eking out the points in order to rise above the relegation places.

There is no question that they are extremely good players, amongst the top in the Championship, but so exceptional that they would be worth the risk for a club in the position Sunderland find themselves in - I don't think so.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
None of us know what the players are thinking, and for all anyone knows Bridcutt may prefer the option of Norwich or Swansea or some other club in the Prem.

Or why not us?

If Bridcutt thinks Poyet can further his career I would believe him, but we will find that out in time I am sure.

Assuming that Poyet would want him.

You have to understand though, that Bridcutt hasn't known anything different from Gus's way and he may well be more enlightened to a prefered coaching style and approach to play.

Don't be so ridiculous, he only came to use when he was 18-19, of course he knows other ways other than Gus's. Let's face it though, Gus's way hasn't been that bad for him has it - regular championship starter, international caps. Gus's way can't be that bad can it?

Zawn Kellys

Feb 14, 2012

Good Post

It makes me think (and when you look at the other canidates for the Sunderland job) how very lucky we are to have OG.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

They are far more likely to know the true facts about what transpired than you or I do. IF they appoint GP as manager then it will be a bigger vote of confidence for him than it is for our board.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Odd world, football management. A place where you can publicly fook up big time, get fired, yet 6 months later someone else wants to pay the same person big money to do the same.

In Poyet's case the results of the team under his stewardship are undeniable and I'm sure he's got a perfect explanation for what went on behind the scenes, and no doubt totally convincing.

Bloom and Barber do not get to challenge the case for the defence

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Odd world, football management. A place where you can publicly fook up big time, get fired, yet 6 months later someone else wants to pay the same person big money to do the same.

In Poyet's case the results of the team under his stewardship are undeniable and I'm sure he's got a perfect explanation for what went on behind the scenes, and no doubt totally convincing.

Bloom and Barber do not get to challenge the case for the defence

What! - don't they have telephones up North?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here